WIFI Calling

klfrodo

Not Skype or FaceTime where video is involved,, just plain old calling in wifi calling mode.

Will the Value plan support this? or do I need the Premium plan?

Searched Carnival's FAQ and it talks about video calling but not just wifi calling.

You could use Face Book Messenger calling and be able to call Anyone Anywhere in the world for free as long as they also have FB

We used this when in Europe to call several people in the US. Best tip I ever found

You could use Face Book Messenger calling and be able to call Anyone Anywhere in the world for free as long as they also have FB

We used this when in Europe to call several people in the US. Best tip I ever found

work and customers don't use Facebook. At least mine don't.

i have used the whatsup app on the vista with just the social plan. and with this i was able to actually call someone and talk to them. but on the pride i was unable to use the call feature on the whatsup app even with the premium package. so it may depend on what ship your on.

Technically, wifi calling is not supported on any of the wifi plans. I would follow the advice above and use either Facebook Messenger or Whatsapp to make phone calls from the ship, if it is really necessary to do so.

We offer three different types of plans that can be purchased onboard for either a 24 hour period or for the entire length of the cruise at a discount - price for voyage plans vary by length of cruise:

• Social ($5 USD per day) – Access the most popular websites and applications. Includes: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, SnapChat, Pinterest, Linkedin, Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp. Does not include access to other websites or apps.
  • Value ($16 USD per day) – Surf all your favorite sites, including e-mail, news, sports, weather, banking and finance. Note: Does not support Skype calling or music streaming (such as Spotify).
  • Premium ($25 USD per day) – From e-mail to Skype, our Premium plan promises the fastest possible connection, at speeds up to 3 times faster than our Value Plan. Supports Skype video calling, where coverage allows.

Users may easily upgrade from one plan to another. Users may use one device at a time on each plan, including either their personal devices or one of our on-board computers. All plans exclude video streaming (such as Netflix or Hulu). Cellular-network-dependent WiFi Calling and Facetime services are also not supported at this time. Printing is offered at no charge.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1152/~/carnivals-wi-fi-service-and-hub-app

Why don't people just answer the question that was asked

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you

I don't need/want/nor desire another app when my phone will do wifi calling without an additional app.

Not Skype or FaceTime where video is involved,, just plain old calling in wifi calling mode.

Searched Carnival's FAQ and it talks about video calling but not just wifi calling.

If you have an iPhone 6 or newer (or newer Android) and your carrier supports it, WiFi calling through your phone is supported on the social plan. Albeit, it was spotty for me on the Lido deck but worked well for me in my room aside from the 1-2 second delay in everything. Texts also came through. If you have any questions, let me know

Are you talking about Verizon's WiFi calling and texting option? If so then yes it does work on the value plan. its about the same quality as FB calling though. Delayed sound of a second or 2. That's only because of the satellite internet. Ping or Latency is very high with Carnivals satellite internet.

Make sure your phone is in WiFi calling mode before you text or call otherwise you'll get a charge of $2.99 a minute for calls and i think its 50 cents for texts.

I used it on my Splendor cruise last April when Verizon was still beta testing it. Phone in Airplane mode and I sent and recieved several texts and a couple calls while on the ship, never saw a charge for it plus it never showed in my itemized texts and call log during the time that I made the texts and calls.

Edited by Brad1972

When you say one device at a time is supported, does that mean only one device for the trip, or one device (e.g. cell phone) during the day, and a different device , (e.g. iPad at night) ????

Sent from my XT1080 using Forums mobile app

You log in using your folio number. You can log into multiple devices; however, it will log you out of the device that you were on previously. For example, you cannot be logged into your iPhone and iPad at the same time. Switch back and forth as much as you like.

its about the same quality as FB calling though. Delayed sound of a second or 2. That's only because of the satellite internet. Ping or Latency is very high with Carnivals satellite internet.

Ping or latency will be very high with ANY cruise line's internet. At a bare minimum, a message sent and an acknowledgement back have to travel 22,236 miles to the satellite and back...four times. That's about 89,000 miles total assuming the satellite is directly over the ship at the time, which is unlikely.

Radio signals travel at about 186,000 miles/sec, so this produces an automatic latency of a half-second without taking processing time (shipboard and groundside) into account.

I tested the latency time on Carnival Conquest and the "Value" internet plan last October, and was pleased that when I sent a FB message to my roommate on the cruise, his phone "dinged" about 7/10ths of a second later. That was pretty impressive.

When I ran the same test on Royal's Independence OTS last February, the time was just over 1 second for the "ding," so Carnival won that particular race...at least for me. In general, I found the Internet aboard Carnival to be a bit more responsive than the "Voom" service on Royal.

" Users may easily upgrade from one plan to another. Users may use one device at a time on each plan, including either their personal devices or one of our on-board computers. "

Sorry to ask a silly question but this is our first cruise and I want to be sure I understand...

I see it says you can use one device at a time. Does that mean my hubby and I only pay for one plan such as social ($5 a day) but it covers both our phones and we would only access say FB messenger on one phone at a time??

Here's what I need help with. We have a medically fragile child. We have never left her this long or gone this far without her. I have to be able to be in contact with those caring for her here at home and visa versa. Any advice is greatly appreciated. :hearteyes:

" Users may easily upgrade from one plan to another. Users may use one device at a time on each plan, including either their personal devices or one of our on-board computers. "

Sorry to ask a silly question but this is our first cruise and I want to be sure I understand...

I see it says you can use one device at a time. Does that mean my hubby and I only pay for one plan such as social ($5 a day) but it covers both our phones and we would only access say FB messenger on one phone at a time??

Here's what I need help with. We have a medically fragile child. We have never left her this long or gone this far without her. I have to be able to be in contact with those caring for her here at home and visa versa. Any advice is greatly appreciated. :hearteyes:

You can purchase one plan or you can each purchase a plan. Each plan can only be used on one device at a time. For example, you purchase the Social Media plan and use it on your iPhone. Later, you go to log into it on your iPad. You will be automatically logged out on your iPhone and logged into your iPad.

I would recommend, if all parties agree, to use either FB Messenger or Whatsapp for communication to your child's caregivers. They are both reliable methods of communication.

You can purchase one plan or you can each purchase a plan. Each plan can only be used on one device at a time. For example, you purchase the Social Media plan and use it on your iPhone. Later, you go to log into it on your iPad. You will be automatically logged out on your iPhone and logged into your iPad.

I would recommend, if all parties agree, to use either FB Messenger or Whatsapp for communication to your child's caregivers. They are both reliable methods of communication.

Actually, when my husband and I recently shared a plan we did have to sign out on one device before we could sign in on the other. If you want to use the social plan to stay in contact with one another on the ship, Id suggest you each buy the package. It was frustrating to share and when you are signed out you dont get notifications until you sign back in.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app