NCL Newbie... How to dine?

cw2go

Hello I'm booked on Bliss, long ways off but part of the fun is counting down and planning. :D

I have the beverage and dining package for a 7 night sailing. (We've preferred specialty dining on Celebrity and RCCL.)

I understand it's not known which restaurants are on this ship yet but can someone please explain how to navigate the dining?

How many specialty restaurants are included with the promotion? I see some are one set fee and some are a la' carte, does that make any difference with promotion? I am not sure which restaurants are included? How do I go about pre booking?

I've been very curious about sailing freestyle and keeping it simple but somehow I've made this complicated in my head? ;p

Thanks in advance,

Patty

You won't get to book dinners until 90 days out (unless in Haven and then 100 days out)

Even if a la carte, most restaurants you can using your dining plan -- some have additional fees

There are also restaurants on Escape like Food Republic, where you can't use the dining plan

and the tapas place and Bayamo where you can use the dining plan and there is an additional fee on top of it.

It is so hard to decide before you know which restaurants will be on the ship.

My favorite so far is Cagney's, but we are going on the Escape this June, so that could change.

I really like the habachi experience at Teppanyaki. I am a real meat eater so I loved Moderno as well.

I'm sure this wasn't extremely helpful, sorry, but we have to wait to learn more!

The typical package (I am assuming that it is one of the Free at Sea selections) is three meals in specialty restaurants. THe work basically the same whether they are a la carte or fixed price. You get an app, entree, appropriate sides, and a dessert included.

You can book 90 days out unless you are in a suite, in which case you can book sooner.

I've been very curious about sailing freestyle and keeping it simple but somehow I've made this complicated in my head? ;p

Yep, freestyle dining is super simple. It's hard to give specifics without knowing what the Bliss will have. But many of the ships have 2 MDRs, one formal and one casual, that have the same menu and you can choose to eat at either, no reservations needed. They also usually have a free restaurant called blue lagoon or o'sheehans that has pub food, usually open 24 hours a day, no reservations required. Some also have a complimentary Asian restaurant, again, no reservations required.

So, no need to plan your dining ahead outside of specialty dining, when you are hungry can go to any of the complimentary dining locations; there may or may not be a wait depending on how busy they are, but you can always go to a different one if there is a wait.

For specialty dining you'll have 3 credits; Cagney's, le bistro, la cucina, teppanyaki, and moderno are all free with the credit. Only different between a la carte and set fee are that you are limited to one entrée at a la cartes, but unlimited everything else. Any other specialty dining restaurant will incur a surcharge to use your SDP credit. You can make reservations online 90 days out or on the first day using the iconcierge app; and should have no problem using your credits. If you wait till the day of to make your reservation, you may have trouble.

I am also booked on the Bliss for October 2018 8 day Mexican Riviera! I have cruised four times with NCL already. I have the beverage package on this cruise. I love the specialty dining on NCL. Very excited to see if they change it up a bit for Bliss. However, if not they are still delicious. On the Getaway I booked Ocean Blue and paid the extra $15.00 on top of the SDP. It was worth it! Still get the entree, app, and desert. I do suggest booking once the 90 day mark hits because some specialties book up during peak or sunset times. If you wait to do it on board you might not get what you want. I had no problems in four cruises. I love NCL. They really make it easy. I am currently booked with RCCL for the first time and they have no rhyme or reason to when you can book dining and entertainment. It is a surprise if you log in one day and you can book. :)

Yep, freestyle dining is super simple. It's hard to give specifics without knowing what the Bliss will have. But many of the ships have 2 MDRs, one formal and one casual, that have the same menu and you can choose to eat at either, no reservations needed. They also usually have a free restaurant called blue lagoon or o'sheehans that has pub food, usually open 24 hours a day, no reservations required. Some also have a complimentary Asian restaurant, again, no reservations required.

So, no need to plan your dining ahead outside of specialty dining, when you are hungry can go to any of the complimentary dining locations; there may or may not be a wait depending on how busy they are, but you can always go to a different one if there is a wait.

For specialty dining you'll have 3 credits; Cagney's, le bistro, la cucina, teppanyaki, and moderno are all free with the credit. Only different between a la carte and set fee are that you are limited to one entrée at a la cartes, but unlimited everything else. Any other specialty dining restaurant will incur a surcharge to use your SDP credit. You can make reservations online 90 days out or on the first day using the iconcierge app; and should have no problem using your credits. If you wait till the day of to make your reservation, you may have trouble.

One MDR may be considered more "formal" than the other but neither is really formal. Don't want to give the newbies the wrong impression. Additionally it probably varies by ship but reservations were suggested for the complimentary Asian restaurant on the Gem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk