Maho Beach: 2007 vs 2017

marti2282

How much is the taxi to Maho beach? Thanks.

Shared taxi (large van type that would hold 10 people) from port area to Maho Beach roundtrip we recently (March) paid $16.00pp.

Yes, those prices are correct.

th_DSCN4624.jpg

(click)

However, I would not want to buy the round-trip, paid in advance wristband. I'd pay the $9 or $8 one way, to have less of any problem returning when I wanted and paying for the trip back separately. Heck, you might decide you want to visit Marigot instead of returning directly to the ship.

gary

Yes, those prices are correct.

th_DSCN4624.jpg

(click)

However, I would not want to buy the round-trip, paid in advance wristband. I'd pay the $9 or $8 one way, to have less of any problem returning when I wanted and paying for the trip back separately. Heck, you might decide you want to visit Marigot instead of returning directly to the ship.

gary

Actually...it worked out better having the pre-paid round trip wrist bands for us (no doubt in our plans we just wanted to go back into town)...it was so crowded (6 ships that day in port) but as soon as they saw our group of 7's wrist bands they directed us quickly onto a taxi (asked if there was a group of 3) and we were out of there....I'm pretty sure ahead of some that didn't have them it seemed at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

So... I had planned on taking a cab from Marigot to Maho (I have an excursion to the Butterfly Farm then shopping in Marigot but it's over at noon and my ship is not leaving til 5) but now I see that the number of ships in port determine the craziness. I just looked it up and there are 10 SHIPS IN PORT THAT DAY... TEN! So... worth going? Will it even be possible? I've never been and I REALLY wanted to see at least ONE plane land... but, is that just way too crowded to even attempt to go there?

If there really are 10 ships in port then no I certainly wouldn't cram Maho into a visit to the Butterfly Farm and Marigot.

You would need to be out of Maho by 2 for an all aboard time at 4:30. That's at the latest IMO and getting a taxi could prove to be a big problem in the afternoon.

I

If there really are 10 ships in port then no I certainly wouldn't cram Maho into a visit to the Butterfly Farm and Marigot.

You would need to be out of Maho by 2 for an all aboard time at 4:30. That's at the latest IMO and getting a taxi could prove to be a big problem in the afternoon.

I

That still might be more than enough time. I'd be leaving Marigot around 11 or so and I really only want like an hour at Maho, but just not sure if I'd be able to see it all with 10 ships there...

That still might be more than enough time. I'd be leaving Marigot around 11 or so and I really only want like an hour at Maho, but just not sure if I'd be able to see it all with 10 ships there...

11 now, not 12. Yes you will have time to go from Marigot to Maho and stay for an hour or even more. It WILL be crowded unless the weather is bad which thankfully very unlikely during high season. Getting a taxi back could be an issue. Be familiar with alternate place to catch a taxi like the taxi stand 5 min walk from Maho by the Pharmacy in the Maho entertainment strip and also the public bus just in case. Have fun!

11 now, not 12.

Well it was 12... but that was my entire Butterfly Farm/Marigot/Phillispburg was scheduled until 12, but someone suggested leaving the tour at Marigot instead of going with them to Phillispburg since I'd have to backtrack to get back to Maho, so my assumption then is that I would be leaving the tour group closer to 11 than 12 and even that is just guesstimating...

Well it was 12... but that was my entire Butterfly Farm/Marigot/Phillispburg was scheduled until 12, but someone suggested leaving the tour at Marigot instead of going with them to Phillispburg since I'd have to backtrack to get back to Maho, so my assumption then is that I would be leaving the tour group closer to 11 than 12 and even that is just guesstimating...

Is your tour a bus tour via the cruise line or a private tour? What time is it leaving? For arguments sake let's say that your ship gets in at 8, tour meets at 8:30 in the port area and you get to the Butterfly Farm and in at 9. I would say that you stay at the Butterfly Farm for 1 hr. So if you leave at 10:00 and get to Marigot at 10:30 then. If you spend 1 hr in Marigot which would be enough but it wouldn't be worth going for less than that, it's now 11:30 and best case scenerio is you catch a taxi at the ferry building parking lot and get to Maho at 12.

The good news is that this is a great time to see the planes landing and taking off at Maho. The bad news is that depending on which site you look at there are 7-10 ships in port it seems. Maho is a relatively small beach and it is immensely popular with cruisers.

One look at all the threads here about Maho will tell you that it is a very popular beach. It WILL be packed. If that is ok with you then go and embrace the madness :D but if you will be put off by this then don't go!

We have seen Maho with 3 or 4 ships in port...pretty busy, and also with 7 ships in port...insanely busy (like the photo the OP shared). Pretty simple, people who want to see this site for the planes will visit it still. Do not expect to find the nicest beach on the island, far from it in fact. It is something to experience once in a lifetime if you like that kind of thing. We are back there this December with our ship being the only ship in port. We plan to spend some time at Maho since we do not think it will be busy at all, but we will also spend part of the day at a nicer beach as well.