"RC Cruises" phishing scam phone calls?

I'm curious if anyone on here has also been getting these phone calls ... I received seven phone calls today from the same number. I only answered the phone the first time and didn't offer any info.

Someone called, saying that they saw I'd booked a Royal Caribbean cruise recently and wanted to talk to me about it. At first, thought it might be the upselll fairy for my next one which is not too far out. Then they said they wanted to offer me a second cruise, for free. It was a computer call, but the "Amy" voice was so well done, it was hard to tell at first. I got suspicious when it said that based on my currently booked "Royal Caribbean cruise" they at "RC Cruises" wanted to offer me that second cruise.

All I had to do was give them all my details and a credit card number ... uh huh.

I'm just curious if anyone else has been getting these calls, or where on earth they could have gotten the info that I was booked on a Royal Caribbean cruise ... I have no doubt it's a scam, and not Royal Caribbean. But it was odd they seemed to know my booking history.

My take on this is that they don't really know you have booked a Royal Caribbean cruise. When I lived in FL, I would get calls like this at least weekly. They are robo calls and sooner or later they will find someone who has a cruise booked, so it will seem real.

I have gotten them from Royal, Caribbean and NCL. Take care and don't give any info.

I'm curious if anyone on here has also been getting these phone calls ... I received seven phone calls today from the same number. I only answered the phone the first time and didn't offer any info.

Someone called, saying that they saw I'd booked a Royal Caribbean cruise recently and wanted to talk to me about it. At first, thought it might be the upselll fairy for my next one which is not too far out. Then they said they wanted to offer me a second cruise, for free. It was a computer call, but the "Amy" voice was so well done, it was hard to tell at first. I got suspicious when it said that based on my currently booked "Royal Caribbean cruise" they at "RC Cruises" wanted to offer me that second cruise.

All I had to do was give them all my details and a credit card number ... uh huh.

I'm just curious if anyone else has been getting these calls, or where on earth they could have gotten the info that I was booked on a Royal Caribbean cruise ... I have no doubt it's a scam, and not Royal Caribbean. But it was odd they seemed to know my booking history.

What was the phone number?

They're getting more clever. I once had someone call and try to convince me my husband was badly hurt in a car accident. I was skeptical because they had my number but weren't calling from his phone and he couldn't come to the phone, nor did they have his name because they kept asking me for his name. Um, how the hell did you call me if you can't even get his name or phone?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

It probably was "Caribbean Cruise Line", not "Royal Caribbean Cruise Line".

Read this:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1185

Some folks put info in their cruise critic profile that is detailed enough to allow a scammer to track you down. For example, using last name and city. Same thing on Facebook. Many of us put future cruises in our cc signature, another reason to be careful of listing identity info. And roll calls often create lists of folks with complete personal info, many without creating a closed group.

Sometimes scammers will get public records and use that. For example, as a Navy veteran, a phishing scam sent me an email supposedly from Navy Federal CU, where many Navy folks have accounts.

If you use the internet you will get hacked. All you can do is be vigilant.

What was the phone number?

It was a local number to my metro area. Not my area code, but the area code on the other side of the city. The local news have been recently doing a series of stories on how scammers use local numbers because that gets them past saying they're doing "interstate business" which is blocked by the Do Not Call registry, so they argue if they're local, they're not doing interstate business, and don't have to abide by the DNC registry. :rolleyes:

Not sure. Could be. I just stayed quiet and listened to the spiel until it decided I must not be on the line and it said goodbye/hung up on me. Their whole gimmick was that the free cruise would be in exchange for leaving a good review on social media. But of course, they needed my info and a credit card up front, just to make sure I was a real person supposedly.

• 9 months later...

Just got that phone call from Royal Seas Cruises for a free cruise. Somehow they knew I have cruised over 60 cruises and were shocked I would not accept their free cruise "Just to spread the word about their ship". When I declined their offer they wanted to know why. I told them there were too many reasons,to list!!!!

This is probably the only one we haven't received.

Did get a call right before Christmas...the sweet sounding voice on the other end said "I see this number has been receiving a large number of nuisance calls recently..." I interrupted and said "Not really, the only nuisance call we have received is this one." Click...dial tone.

Actually smiled at myself over that quick thinking. :evilsmile: