Time to take a Stand on No Adult Ony Pools

Other cruise lines offer a large kid free pool and lounging area. Carnival is going to make changes that sometimes we don't like, then you switch. Screw loyalty :)

I personally find the adult only areas a big selling point. I prefer an adults only pool, but since I don't swim much on ships, I am generally fine with the Serenity area. However, on Oasis, the huge solarium has a really nice wading pool where you can hang out and have drinks. It's perfect for me, but again, Serenity is enough and the Solarium pool won't make or break my decision - though it does for some. You should see the complaints on the Royal forums over Harmony not having a Solarium pool like Oasis/Allure.... "BOYCOTT!!!!"

Figure out what ship offers the best experience for you and go with it. I'm liking some of these comments about Sandals. We have strongly been considering an all-inclusive resort to try out. Even just a beach rental on Treasure Cay can be heaven.

I cant stand it when we are on the upper deck near the main pool and a group of kids comes running by on there way to the water slide flinging water all over the place including my sunglasses

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

We are childless by choice and this doesn't faze me in the least. I rarely get in the pools and am fine with serenity as an adults only retreat. And honestly, for us, if we really want to retreat, we head to our balcony (or sail at times when school is not out and there aren't many kids on board). Everything is a choice, and if you choose to sail at peak kid times like summer, winter holidays, or spring break, you have to expect the kids to win.

And when we want no kids, we book the adults only resorts. There's a lot more of them than Sandals and plenty cost less than a cruise in the end.

I phoned Carnival this morning, 1-800-764-7419, button #3, since I was just off a recent cruise (Conquest, April 1-9). The rep took my name, noted the cruise I was just on, and listened to my complaint about the change of policy. I related that they should have waited until after the drydock and a Serenity Deck was installed. I included that Carnival employees were not enforcing the new rule by allowing unaccompanied kids into both the hot tubs and the pool. (They are supposed to be with an adult.). Also, Carnival staff did nothing when 2 parents immersed their diapered toddlers in the pool.

I noted that I booked this cruise date anticipating a minimum of kids on board.

I ended with a positive note on the Captain's Diamond Party being a luncheon rather than a cocktail hour. The rep stated my views would be passed up along the chain of command.

I hope others will also call Carnival to make their views known.

I find it hard to get myself worked up over this, but I'm not a big pool person to begin with. At least with this change CCL can't be accused of making a money grab:D. Complaining is fine, but if the change doesn't cost CCL money they likely won't listen. Maybe they will only limit this to Conquest class, leaving things alone on the other classes.

The Conquest class is the only class of ships that had an adult-only pool to begin with. And the Splendor. And we already know from the OP that they changed things on that ship too.

I don't have an issue either way. I think all serenity areas should at least have a couple of hot tubs. Never saw much the point of the aft pools being adults only when the pizza and ice cream machines are also back there. Not sure why they changed it. Oh well.

The Conquest class is the only class of ships that had an adult-only pool to begin with. And the Splendor. And we already know from the OP that they changed things on that ship too.

I don't have an issue either way. I think all serenity areas should at least have a couple of hot tubs. Never saw much the point of the aft pools being adults only when the pizza and ice cream machines are also back there. Not sure why they changed it. Oh well.

The Pride had an aft serenity area with pool unless that is an anomaly. Fascination had a serenity area without a pool (not sure about hot tubs). I am far from an expert on what each ship offers.:)

Carnival is a family cruise line; they're not going to change that. If you want an adult only cruise ship, look elsewhere. But since you seem to be booking with Carnival may I suggest selecting a ship that does have a pool in the Serenity area. I was just on the Miracle and it had one; I'm sure there are others in the fleet, too. It was a pleasant surprise after cruising on the Imagination, which only had the hot tub. Seriously though, if your life is so great that your biggest frustration is whether or not you have a pool to yourself on a family cruise ship, you're living a pretty good life.

I'm glad you said this. I was racking my brain trying to remember which ships had an adults only pool and all I could think of was the Conquest class.

While I agree it was nice to have a kid-free pool, this is only a few ships. Specifically the ones that didn't have a Serenity Deck, correct? So why the huge up-roar? I wonder how many of those complaining even sail on those few ships or do they sail on the larger ones?

I phoned Carnival this morning, 1-800-764-7419, button #3, since I was just off a recent cruise (Conquest, April 1-9). The rep took my name, noted the cruise I was just on, and listened to my complaint about the change of policy. I related that they should have waited until after the drydock and a Serenity Deck was installed. I included that Carnival employees were not enforcing the new rule by allowing unaccompanied kids into both the hot tubs and the pool. (They are supposed to be with an adult.). Also, Carnival staff did nothing when 2 parents immersed their diapered toddlers in the pool.

I noted that I booked this cruise date anticipating a minimum of kids on board.

I ended with a positive note on the Captain's Diamond Party being a luncheon rather than a cocktail hour. The rep stated my views would be passed up along the chain of command.

I hope others will also call Carnival to make their views known.

I understand your disappointment, and I do agree that it would probably have been better to wait until Serenity was installed. However, the first week in April is prime spring break time for many school districts in the U.S., especially in the north. Some areas tie their spring break to Easter, but many do not.

My problem with the decision is the timing. They could make the switch as they add the serenity area in dry dock. No adult only area will be a problem for us in the future.

I take it that there are two different areas then, an adult only pool area or Serenity. I always thought they were the same.

I'm thinking about contacting Carnival and thanking them for the change. Several times on Conquest class ships I've seen the front pool filled to capacity with drunks and the back pool empty practically the entire cruise. Don't assume everyone hates the changes.

I understand your disappointment, and I do agree that it would probably have been better to wait until Serenity was installed. However, the first week in April is prime spring break time for many school districts in the U.S., especially in the north. Some areas tie their spring break to Easter, but many do not.

Actually there weren't that many kids on board this week (April 1 - 9) . I try to book my Carnival cruises that avoid school recesses and vacations or have extended itineraries that many families avoid.

Those kids that were on board did try to use the aft pool without an adult, contrary to the new policy.

Can someone clarify - do some ships have "adult only" pools in the Serenity area? Or are they talking about eliminating the Serenity area?

Yes they do....For example, the Sunshine has an adult only pool in the Serenity area. There may be others (dont know all of the amenities on every ship) I believe this proposed change only encompasses adult only pools on the Conquest sized ships. Pool only, not the Serenity deck. Some ships have pools on their Serenity decks, some just have hot tubs and i believe some just have the Serenity deck with loungers.

Sounds like you should try a line that caters to an older crowd then. Or, maybe try Sunshine. I believe there is a pool on the Serenity deck, your kid problem solved. We'll let you know for sure May 2018.

What about people who have kids, but want a vacation to relax as well? My husband and I have 2, (DS8, DD9). When they are in the kids club it makes sense that I want to relax WITHOUT anyone's children, including mine. Disney, the KING of kid-friendly, has adult only pools, Carnival should keep theirs as well. Carnival is the funship. When I do get older I wouldn't be interested in "older crowd" cruises either- I like to have fun- bring on the line dancing etc. Just when we started saying we would do more cruises they implement this new rule. Our cruise history is spotty because we do lots of resorts- I guess we will have to concentrate more on those since they cater to BOTH adults and children. A vacation can be family friendly and still have adults only recreation.

It's so interesting to read the things people say about this topic. I am going on the Conquest next week and also am not happy about the change. We sailed the Conquest two years ago and had a great time. The one thing I didn't like is the fact that it is one of the only ships that doesn't have the Serenity deck. I never really go in the pools or hot tubs, so the people referring to it being just that are ridiculous. I believe most people who seek out the adults only areas are not just dying to go in the water, its more about the whole vibe of the area. I'm not a bad person for wanting a couple of hours without kids screaming and splashing water on me. I cruised plenty of times with my children when they were younger and I don't dislike kids. I love Carnival and am not interested in a quiet, boring cruise line, just a little bit of adult only time since I've already raised my children and don't need to constantly be annoyed by unsupervised kids. Bottom line: they should have waited til they got the Serenity deck to make the change on Conquest.

The pools are nasty .

Absolutely! Late one afternoon on a sea day we went down to the aft pool bar and the pool was absolutely rancid. The crew finally closed the pool when I pointed out how utterly disgusting it was.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess we are talking about two different things, an adult pool located aft and Serenity deck. I care even less now and as long as I have Serenity to hang out on life is good (and if there is no Serenity there is always my balcony).

It's so interesting to read the things people say about this topic. I am going on the Conquest next week and also am not happy about the change. We sailed the Conquest two years ago and had a great time. The one thing I didn't like is the fact that it is one of the only ships that doesn't have the Serenity deck. I never really go in the pools or hot tubs, so the people referring to it being just that are ridiculous. I believe most people who seek out the adults only areas are not just dying to go in the water, its more about the whole vibe of the area. I'm not a bad person for wanting a couple of hours without kids screaming and splashing water on me. I cruised plenty of times with my children when they were younger and I don't dislike kids. I love Carnival and am not interested in a quiet, boring cruise line, just a little bit of adult only time since I've already raised my children and don't need to constantly be annoyed by unsupervised kids. Bottom line: they should have waited til they got the Serenity deck to make the change on Conquest.

I agree with you, I don't get in the hot tubs or pool. This area is also great to get away from the blaring wide screen tv. Sometimes the serenity area can be to windy just as the inside of the ship can be to cool. You can actually have a conversation & be heard. I generally like all areas of the ship for a short amount of time.

Sounds like you should try a line that caters to an older crowd then. Or, maybe try Sunshine. I believe there is a pool on the Serenity deck, your kid problem solved. We'll let you know for sure May 2018.
Now if only Carnival would enforce the "adults only" part of Serenity ...

I am constantly amazed at what seems to be a big deal or no deal to the general cruise population. For me personally this whole thing is an amazing amount of drama over a nothing issue. The pools are not worth getting in, they are filled with cold seawater and they are tiny.

This...

I am constantly amazed at what seems to be a big deal or no deal to the general cruise population. For me personally this whole thing is an amazing amount of drama over a nothing issue. The pools are not worth getting in, they are filled with cold seawater and they are tiny.

This...

It's really only possible for you to comment on what either is or is not a big deal to you. For others, this is a huge issue. Most people have limited time they are able to spend away from their jobs to enjoy a week of vacation...the same goes for the dollars involved to make it happen. My wife and I love staying at adult only all-inclusive resorts. Because my wife has never cruised before, we compromised based on the availability of the Serenity Deck and an adult only pool. Our cruise on the Glory is now a little over two weeks away, and on the heels of an announcement telling us one of the deciding factors on our vacation is gone in one brief message from John Heald.

We spend our time reading in the sun when on deck. Cold seawater in a tiny pool is a great thing...when the pool isn't full of children.