Movie Question

Lars_NY

Greetings all! First time poster, long time reader. My wife and I will be sailing on Veendam in May and I had a question that I hoped to get answered. I see talk of being able to watch movies in the room but wasn't sure how that worked. Are they DVD's that you check out from somewhere or are they on-demand, much like the in-flight-entertainment of an airplane?

I anticipate that we will be a tad younger than most on the ship (we are in our early 30s) but specifically chose HA because we are not looking for a "party boat." We are celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary on the ship and are leaving our 4 young kids (1 y/o to 8 y/o) with grandparents. The reason I tell you all this is I'm sure there will be people that say we should get out and see the ship, instead of sitting our our stateroom. And while we fully intend to do that, there might be times where we just want to relax and unwind by ourselves with a movie.

Also, if the movies are on DVD, we might bring our portable DVD player rather than use the stateroom TV, but I hate to bring it if we wont use it.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

The movies are on DVD but there is a DVD player attached to the TV. There is a booklet of movies (not the most current, though) in the cabin. Just select the movie and call the Front Desk. You can either pick it up or have it delivered. You can also order popcorn and other goodies from Room Service for your viewing pleasure (at least you could the last time I checked; things do change).

Enjoy your cruise!

Greetings all! First time poster, long time reader. My wife and I will be sailing on Veendam in May and I had a question that I hoped to get answered. I see talk of being able to watch movies in the room but wasn't sure how that worked. Are they DVD's that you check out from somewhere or are they on-demand, much like the in-flight-entertainment of an airplane?

I anticipate that we will be a tad younger than most on the ship (we are in our early 30s) but specifically chose HA because we are not looking for a "party boat." We are celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary on the ship and are leaving our 4 young kids (1 y/o to 8 y/o) with grandparents. The reason I tell you all this is I'm sure there will be people that say we should get out and see the ship, instead of sitting our our stateroom. And while we fully intend to do that, there might be times where we just want to relax and unwind by ourselves with a movie.

Also, if the movies are on DVD, we might bring our portable DVD player rather than use the stateroom TV, but I hate to bring it if we wont use it.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Hi, this is off the topic but I see you are celebrating your anniversary. Have you thought about having a "renewal of vows" ceremony. We had one 3 years ago and it was great. There is a reception for the couples doing the renewal of vows, with sparkling wine and appetizers, you get a few photos taken, the Captain performs the ceremony privately, there were 3 couples at ours and we each got our own ceremony. It was in the Crow's Nest. We got to have quite a long chat with the Captain. You get a very nice souvenir album with photos and copy of the ceremony words, a dinner in the Pinnacle Grill and I'm not sure what else? Maybe flowers in your room? And, it wasn't terribly expensive ... ships services could give you more info.

Some ships still have a DVD player in the room. I haven't been on the Veendam so someone else could tell you. On the TV there are usually 3-4 movie channels with each movie shown several times a day. Most movies shown in the lounge/theater are shown the next day in the staterooms. Enjoy your anniversary trip and some time for just the two of you, sans kids.

In addition to the DVDs, the movies from the theatre will play in rotation on the television. Those films are pretty much the same as you'd find on airlines. Not exactly first run, but newer than rental / on demand.

Please note that this only applies to the ships that don't have the new TVs and video system.

Hi, this is off the topic but I see you are celebrating your anniversary. Have you thought about having a "renewal of vows" ceremony. We had one 3 years ago and it was great.

Thank you for the tip! This is something that I hadn't thought of but might be a nice surprise for my wife. I'll contact HAL and see what is available. Thanks again!

Thank you for the tip! This is something that I hadn't thought of but might be a nice surprise for my wife. I'll contact HAL and see what is available. Thanks again!

Do a SEARCH on this board for Renewal of Vows and you will get plenty of information and suggestions.

It is a great deal and your wife will love it I am sure.

The DVD player in your cabin will play outside DVD's so you can bring your own. We love that as we watch a little TV before going to bed. Last year we took the two week Alaska cruise (Maasdam) and brought DVD's of episodes of the Wonder Years which we had just purchased. We really enjoyed that. We also included some movies that were fun to watch on a sea day.