Cruise Cash from The Fun Shops was a complete fail!

sengsational

A friend of mine was going on a Carnival cruise after getting married, so bought him what Carnival calls "Cruise Cash", which consists of two things 1) a credit on the sign and sail account, and 2) a card in the room telling them they got the credit, and who it was from.

After he got back from his cruise, I asked about the cruise, but no mention of the Cruise Cash. Hmm. Awkward. I finally asked about a card in the room. Nope. At that point, I gave up and decided to just call Carnival.

I was on the phone with Carnival for 45 minutes and got zero satisfaction.

They reviewed the account and said that the Sign and Sail credit appeared. So one of the two aspects of the Cruise Cash was apparently fulfilled. The two reps I spoke with were nice enough, but just unable to offer anything but a letter to the recipient stating that they're sorry the card wasn't in the room.

I stated that I was the injured party because I bought a statement credit AND the warm glow that knowing that the recipient would hold up a beer while on the ship and have a toast with me and my wife in mind. But that didn't happen. So I got less than I bargained for. Asking point blank didn't do any good. They wouldn't even do a small credit on an (improbable) future cruise. The reps were as nice as could be, but just did not offer any remedy to me.

My recommendation is to avoid The Fun Shops and Cruise Cash because they can't execute properly on it. What a fiasco! The recipient doesn't know he even got a gift, and I've spent an hour on the phone and an hour discussing it with my wife. Life is too short for crappy service like this. It would have been easy to hand Steve a $100 and say "have a couple buckets of beer on me". Done. Instead, he still doesn't know I bought him a dang beer. Complete fail on Carnival's part. They had a chance to make it right when I called, but they did nothing.

Hopefully it was applied to his gratuities or used in some other way. Usually the non refundable credits are used first so your money was probably at least a benefit unbeknown to your friend. He could request a copy of his sail and sign bill to at least make sure he received the credit.

This is why it is a bad idea to buy something for some one and not give them a heads up to expect it.

That piece of paper they leave is very easy to overlook and throw away with all the other junk you get.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'm in a similar situation with the Cruise Cash right now. We are sailing on 5/6/2017 for our honeymoon and my aunt and cousin said they found my account and gave us Cruise Cash. I want to buy the Cheers package before the cruise because it's cheaper and use the credit towards the price, but Carnival said I won't be able to do anything until the day of the cruise when we check in. I want to make sure the money is on the account before we sail so my aunt can get it straightened out if anything went wrong.

I am sorry you feel this worked out so poorly for you, but one thing to keep in mind is that you are "assuming" the 2nd portion was not fulfilled and the note was not in the room.

The reason I say this is because I often order a lot of things to our room to be there when we cruise, and I myself have "overlooked" the little slip they leave you with the note on it. When you get on board there is a lot of different paperwork that is often there. The funtimes, the sales fliers for all different on board things to buy, spa stuff, map, etc, etc. It would be very easy to just thumb through things quickly and overlook this slip. It isn't even the size of an 8 x 11 sheet of paper... it is more like x 3 or something similar in size to that.

The important thing is that your money was there and they were able to use it. It might be a little better if you simply told them yourself, something like "I hope you had a few beers on me with your cruise cash I added for ya!"

Remember it is the thought that counts!

Sorry you had that experience. I bought CC for my last cruise and I agree the paper was lumped in with the other ones in the cabin. I'm betting they didn't see it.

Too late now, but maybe a Carnival Gift Card would be better as far as gifts. Give it to them before and then they can spend it how they want like on Cheers as someone before had mentioned. It's cheaper if they buy that ahead of time.

Sorry that happened to you. I always buy a little cruise cash to get me going, because I use cash and gift cards to fund my S&S and don't want to feel compelled to rush to guest services or the kiosk to load money. I've also gotten it for my sister. Difference is that I'm there and will find out right away if anything goes wrong. Sometimes mistakes do happen. And when it happens with something onboard, you are best to resolve it onboard. I would always give people a heads up. Your own card to them before you left, so they could expect it would have worked. Cruise cash works fine most of the time.

I'm in a similar situation with the Cruise Cash right now. We are sailing on 5/6/2017 for our honeymoon and my aunt and cousin said they found my account and gave us Cruise Cash. I want to buy the Cheers package before the cruise because it's cheaper and use the credit towards the price, but Carnival said I won't be able to do anything until the day of the cruise when we check in. I want to make sure the money is on the account before we sail so my aunt can get it straightened out if anything went wrong.

You can just let it go against your gratuities. If you have prepaid your gratuities call Carnival and have them removed so your credit can go towards that when you are on the ship. Same net effect.

Evidently your friend didn't check his onboard account because Cruise Cash is listed on there. I know that if I saw an entry for Cruise Cash on my account and I hadn't seen a card I would have inquired at Guest Services. (And in the future just tell the recipient before they leave "I got you a gift for while you are on your cruise, make sure you look for it", that way they'll know to look for something and they have something to look forward to.)

You can just let it go against your gratuities. If you have prepaid your gratuities call Carnival and have them removed so your credit can go towards that when you are on the ship. Same net effect.

That's a great idea, thank you! I haven't pre-paid because I may feel obliged to tip more than the standard if we get a great staff.

That's a great idea, thank you! I haven't pre-paid because I may feel obliged to tip more than the standard if we get a great staff.

You are free to tip more than standard even if you pre-pay. I have done it several times.

I sympathize with you because I had an almost identical situation. My best friend and her hubby were leaving on their honeymoon cruise, so I ordered the CruiseCash Photo option since she loves to take posed photos on board. I filled out the card portion online with my order, adding my best wishes and personal thoughts. Of course, I didn't mention it because I wanted her to be surprised. After their cruise, I asked about what pictures they got with the credit and she was clueless. No card in the room for us either. She did say that the noticed the credit on their account on the last day but had no idea what it was for, so like most folks would I am sure- assumed they got lucky somehow. I was pretty annoyed with the whole thing too and felt like to really took away from the presentation of the gift. Either way, she was just as thankful when I explained what I had done, and I didn't escalate it to Carnival or anything. Lesson learned! ;)

How was this a fail? You funded money for their account. Was the money in their account? Yes? Then it worked. Some random card is irrelevant. They received the money.

What the person paid for was a gift and presentation of that gift to the guests. When I send someone flowers, I certainly expect the florist to tell the person who they are from, not just deliver some flowers. So I agree with OP, it was a partial fail.

Evidently your friend didn't check his onboard account because Cruise Cash is listed on there

Exactly...have never had an issue with cruise cash or bar cash...all you need to do is look at your account once in while on the trip (like to make sure you are not charged for something you did not purchase etc.). ;p

Just let him know what you did, what happened, and what Carnival told you.

I am sure he will be super grateful, but if you don't tell him, he's never going to know.

I agree, stuff happens.

Ditto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my last cruise a friend sent me some cruise cash for my birthday. There was a card for it in my cabin on the desk along with the cards advising of the Cheers and bubbles paid for too. I did not see it on my account when I check it on the app, so I went to to guest services and they said it is on there. I never saw it there until the last day when we got our account printout and it was there. I also received some champagne and glasses to be delivered on the second night and they were there as scheduled along with the card from the person who sent it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

I just ordered some cruise cash for a friend for his birthday. I did fill out the gift card info for the room. But after I placed the order, there is an option to email the recipient to let them know you are sending them a gift. I actually just sent the email to myself, and then forwarded it on with my birthday greetings. That way I knew they even got the email. :) (plus then they can keep an eye out for it.)

I know that if I saw an entry for Cruise Cash on my account and I hadn't seen a card I would have inquired at Guest Services.

Seems like people report this is happening way too often, a gift recipient shouldn't have to "chase down" the donor of a cash gift.