Bed Bugs

I was just wondering how to protect from these and so started googling and to my horror found You Tube clips from Brilliance of the Seas etc from 2016 showing them in people's rooms on board! So my horrified question is has anyone ever had a problem? AND if you do how does the ship eradicate them from your room (and belongings?)

I have never seen anything in all of my 30+ cruises aboard 6 or more different ships, across pretty much every category of cabin.

I am 100% sure that all cabin attendants have been highly trained to spot these unwanted guests, and report accordingly. I am also sure that if they were spotted in cabin, that cabin would be taken out of circulation and fully treated.

A previous poster said that the passengers are bringing them onboard - this is likely true. Bed bugs can travel in the cuff of your pants!

I work in the hospitality industry which is why I am aware of the "protocol".

For those of you who want to check - here is what to look for....

1. The crevice of your mattress, especially where the piping is - pull it back and look closely. There should be nothing there at all, and even if you don't see a bug but you see little dark dots (which are actually blood dots) - there may be a problem, or there may have been a problem.
  2. Check electrical sockets - they like to hide in and around them
  3. Check paintings hanging on the wall - another spot they like to hide
  4. Headboard of the bed (if there is one) especially if it is fabric

I hope this helps?

Before booking a hotel room I always check begbugregistry.com if there are any report listed I do not book. Once I do find a room I triple check it upon check in as noted above. The crevices and piping of mattress, etc.

Brandy & Rod

Sent from my iPhone

I have never seen anything in all of my 30+ cruises aboard 6 or more different ships, across pretty much every category of cabin.

I am 100% sure that all cabin attendants have been highly trained to spot these unwanted guests, and report accordingly. I am also sure that if they were spotted in cabin, that cabin would be taken out of circulation and fully treated.

A previous poster said that the passengers are bringing them onboard - this is likely true. Bed bugs can travel in the cuff of your pants!

I work in the hospitality industry which is why I am aware of the "protocol".

For those of you who want to check - here is what to look for....

1. The crevice of your mattress, especially where the piping is - pull it back and look closely. There should be nothing there at all, and even if you don't see a bug but you see little dark dots (which are actually blood dots) - there may be a problem, or there may have been a problem.
  2. Check electrical sockets - they like to hide in and around them
  3. Check paintings hanging on the wall - another spot they like to hide
  4. Headboard of the bed (if there is one) especially if it is fabric

I hope this helps?

Never encountered them before but will take your advice and look where you suggest.Thanks for advice on what to look for.​

43 cruises and counting.

I remember a year ago or so there was talk of them being in some "crates" on board a ship (the mattress softener thingymajigs). I think that is why they quit using them. Now they just seem to use comforters.

I've never had a problem but our daughter has had issues twice, both times in college. Once on a study abroad (at Oxford of all places) and another time at a hotel. I did read recently that they are becoming more resistant to insecticide. It pays to be diligent. I need to up my game a bit.

Best way to avoid BB's is to educate yourself. Bed bugs don't Always hide in mattress crevices. Alarm clocks, laptops, desktop phones, lamps,carpet the lust goes on. In fact most people bring BB's home not from a hotel, but more likely suitcase to suitcase contact on the airplane.

Also, fabric seats in movie theaters and planes are among the most common transition points for transfer. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Best way to avoid BB's is to educate yourself. Bed bugs don't Always hide in mattress crevices. Alarm clocks, laptops, desktop phones, lamps,carpet the lust goes on. In fact most people bring BB's home not from a hotel, but more likely suitcase to suitcase contact on the airplane.

Also, fabric seats in movie theaters and planes are among the most common transition points for transfer. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It does,it makes sense too even though i never thought of that.

43 cruises and counting.

Thankfully, we have never experienced this. BUT I will state that a few years back, a newlywed couple on a cruise with us did. They said they woke up the second morning with bites. As it turned out (so they told us, as they were told) was the room next to them had them (assumed those passengers brought them with them). RCI took removed the belongings (luggage, etc..) for passengers from the primary room and adjoining on each side to have cleaned (steam?) and they 'cleaned' the rooms as well. The passengers in all those rooms were relocated and I think given some new clothes to wear. Again... remember, this is what one affected couple shared with us but I have no reason to assume it wasn't' true.

Thankfully, we have never experienced this. BUT I will state that a few years back, a newlywed couple on a cruise with us did. They said they woke up the second morning with bites. As it turned out (so they told us, as they were told) was the room next to them had them (assumed those passengers brought them with them). RCI took removed the belongings (luggage, etc..) for passengers from the primary room and adjoining on each side to have cleaned (steam?) and they 'cleaned' the rooms as well. The passengers in all those rooms were relocated and I think given some new clothes to wear. Again... remember, this is what one affected couple shared with us but I have no reason to assume it wasn't' true.

With so many different nationalities on ships now any disease or bedbugs can easily be spread from person to person but if you worry too much you would never leave your own home.

43 cruises and counting.