Uber from New Jersey to Manhattan Cruise Terminal

Paul Bogle

I am looking for some feedback from those who have used Uber in the NYC metro area. We are a group of four adults traveling from northern NJ to MCT, total distance about 20 miles. I went to the Uber website and got a quote for the trip. An UberXL quoted at $62 to $75. My question is will an UberXL accommodate four adults, five suitcases and carry-on luggage or will we need to reserve a larger vehicle which will likely be double the cost?

For those with experience using Uber to/from the MCT is it recommended to make advance reservations for a group our size or is it something we can do the day we sail or the day we return?

I appreciate your input.

You can't be sure what an Uber XL vehicle will hold. Remember these are not standardized company-owned cars, they are owned by the individual drivers. You have no idea of what may be available at the time you summon an Uber car.

We took Uber XL once in Miami and it was an ordinary small SUV that could hold at most two people comfortably or three total in the back seat, and our four bags...two 25 inch and two 22 inch pretty much took up the entire cargo area.

If you want to be sure you will have vehicle that can hold 4 adults and all that luggage you better reserve in advance a vehicle that's guaranteed to suit your needs. Can you even do that (reserve a particular size vehicle in advance) with Uber?

If it were me I'd book a car service.

200% agreed with NJH, Uber-X isn't the same as confirming one of those GMC Surban XLD (seemed to the plenty of those around airports these days) or Lincoln Navigators. And, if one or more of 4 adults in the group is a "plus" size, the ride over might be a very tight squeeze if not uncomfortable.

Looking at 7 or 8+ suitcases, correct - 5 "non" carry-on rollers or spinners (24" or 25" plus) and at least 2 "carry-on" ... my 22" expandable carry-on can tip the scale at 40 lbs. not even fully loaded. All that items will likely fill up the back of a typical minivan with 40% of the 3rd. row split seating to fit. Someone will probably end up holding their oversized tote and/or carry-on for the ride ... 30 or 45 minutes for that 20 miles ??

Think about your costs - probably $100 with tolls even with extra tipping, split by 4 - it's relatively cheap to be driven, door-to-door. I would get a confirmed quote from Dial 7 and Carmel, just to compare - I can almost guarantee it's going to cost more, but a minivan SHOULD fit all the pieces and riders, might still be close. MCT is our "home port" and I am amazed after almost 20 years of sailing out of there that folks will take just about everything minus the kitchen sink for a 7 to 10 days cruise.

At the end of the cruise, struggled without paying a little extra for porter services' help, and walked that 1/4 mile out into the arrival hall, thru CBP and out to 12th Avenue for transportation ... plus their trophy "hauls" from duty-free shopping.

Take a look at your Uber App, how many are available and "cruising" for a fare in your hometown - I doubt much, if any ... they are typically hailed for short trips, average distance of 3 miles - and might be a Toyota Highlander. Isn't going to fit all that luggage with room for 4 passengers.