Just off Magic - pros /cons

hobster7

Sounds like your cruise was a mix of highs and lows. Our Magic cruise in February was good, but certainly not our best.

When we were on board she seemed to handle the seas quite well. Possibly something has happened since to cause less stabilization.

Pig & Anchor lines were long for us as well but moved very quickly. Thought the food there was excellent.

Agree that the free pasta bar is nothing special. Dried pasta with bland sauce that tastes like it came from a jar.

Agreed about Roddy in the piano bar. Seemed like a nice enough guy, but his singing was awful. First time we saw a piano bar more than half empty.

Overall service was friendly enough, but very basic.

Ports

Amber Cove - disappointed that there was no beach access on property.

Zip line was worth it, especially if you ride it more than once. It's $20 adults $10 kids and can ride all day.

Pool was nice and had a DJ. Plenty of lounge chairs.

St Thomas - did zip line tour with Tree Limin. Excellent time. Memorable views looked into doing it privately but worked out cheaper with Carnival bc of cost of own taxi. Just wished Carnival allowed you to pick ur own time instead of picking for you.

San Juan - visited fort just north of port then took a taxi ($20 for 8 people) to Laguna Del Condada where we paddleboarded. $20 for an hour. Also nice calm beach there to enjoy after.

Grand Turk. Rented golf carts and explored the island. Took our snorkel gear and found a couple great beaches. Best advice - if a beach u find is too windy/rough, go to the other side of the island and it will be calm like bath water. Easy to do on an island this small. One of the most beautiful places I have visited.

Next Cruise - 4/8/17 Carnival Magic

Previous Cruises

Carnival Pride - 11/15

Carnival Pride - 1/15

Carnival Legend 4/14

RCCL Independence of the Seas 11/13

Just wanted to add.... We did the March 25th sailing. We also found it VERY rocky on the ship.

We have done 13+ cruises and I know I normally don't feel as much shifting and rolling as I did on that itinerary.

We did the Western the next week and it wasn't nearly as bad but still felt a lot of movement.

Also, have to agree about the smell although it didn't effect our room. Just the hallway and landings..

Lastly, Grand Turk was stunning! I totally feel the same way about that island but we just walked off the ship and sat on the beach. It took our breath away!! Loved it there.

Question about Grand Turk - I'm wondering if I should just lounge on the beach or rent a golf cart and do some exploring. I'm trying to get cheap this cruise and staying away from all excursions, which is easy for Nassau as I don't get off the ship there anymore. With the other stop being Amber Cove I also heard there is plenty to enjoy right off the ship.

I was on this same exact cruise and on our last day we took the "Behind the Fun Tour" which included the engine control room and speaking directly with the Chief Engineer for the Carnival Magic. I can confirm that the stabilizers are working as they should be and there is nothing wrong with them. I was looking right at the screen and saw it them with my own eyes :cool:.

I could tell that this boat was swaying more than previous cruises but I wouldn't say it was horrible.

I have a review coming :D

Sailed all 3 of the Dream class ships and have noted the side to side rocking on all 3. Be that as it may it is still my favorite of the carnival class ships, love the ocean plaza area and the extra deck around the Lido pool area.

Bon VOyage!! We are leaving on her in a few weeks so I am getting a bit anxious about this too. We do a LOT of cruising and have been impressed with the fact that you can usually not even tell you are moving! To be bumping and rolling when there is no storm does not sound like fun at all! Can you report back after your cruise and let us know your experience?

Thanks!

I will try to remember to do that for you. I was on the Dream the last week of November and that was a full blown rocker. We went to Mahogany Bay, Cozumel, and Belize. The last day of the trip when we were packing was a hoot. When the ship rocked starboard I would be at the closet and grab clothes. Then it would quickly go port and I would be running towards the bed to throw in clothes. Never got sea sick thanks to Bonine but wow, what a ride.

Sailed all 3 of the Dream class ships and have noted the side to side rocking on all 3. Be that as it may it is still my favorite of the carnival class ships, love the ocean plaza area and the extra deck around the Lido pool area.

We were on the Breeze and didn't have a rocking issue. We were on an eastern if that makes any difference. We are doing that same itinerary on the Magic (Grand Turk, San Juan, St. Kitts and St. Maarten). Don't know if that matters or not. I always thought it was the time of the year that mattered.

Question about Grand Turk - I'm wondering if I should just lounge on the beach or rent a golf cart and do some exploring. I'm trying to get cheap this cruise and staying away from all excursions, which is easy for Nassau as I don't get off the ship there anymore. With the other stop being Amber Cove I also heard there is plenty to enjoy right off the ship.

I would stay right off the ship. There is so much to do. There are free loungers, pools, water activities, conch graveyard, John Glen area, margaritaville, DJ playing music, dancing, Jack's Shack (best jerk chicken and free shot of rum if you visit their website), locals selling local beer and rum punch, etc. We had a blast staying right there at port and we NEVER stay at ports! Everything I read said to stay there, so we did. So glad we heeded the advice of others!

Literally right at the end of the dock in GT is a great beach. For you the question would be do you mind sharing with 1,000 of your new friends. If not then go for it. If you want seclusion, rent a vehicle.

Previous Cruises

Carnival Pride - 11/15

Carnival Pride - 1/15

Carnival Legend 4/14

Literally right at the end of the dock in GT is a great beach. For you the question would be do you mind sharing with 1,000 of your new friends. If not then go for it. If you want seclusion, rent a vehicle.

Thank you! I don't mind sharing. I think we will do that and save the $120.

Where did you rent the golf carts? Would like to rent them and tour the island and then end back up in port to enjoy a few beers before getting back on the ship

Ports

Amber Cove - disappointed that there was no beach access on property.

Zip line was worth it, especially if you ride it more than once. It's $20 adults $10 kids and can ride all day.

Pool was nice and had a DJ. Plenty of lounge chairs.

St Thomas - did zip line tour with Tree Limin. Excellent time. Memorable views looked into doing it privately but worked out cheaper with Carnival bc of cost of own taxi. Just wished Carnival allowed you to pick ur own time instead of picking for you.

San Juan - visited fort just north of port then took a taxi ($20 for 8 people) to Laguna Del Condada where we paddleboarded. $20 for an hour. Also nice calm beach there to enjoy after.

Grand Turk. Rented golf carts and explored the island. Took our snorkel gear and found a couple great beaches. Best advice - if a beach u find is too windy/rough, go to the other side of the island and it will be calm like bath water. Easy to do on an island this small. One of the most beautiful places I have visited.

Previous Cruises

Carnival Pride - 11/15

Carnival Pride - 1/15

Carnival Legend 4/14

• 1 month later...

My oldest and dearest friend 32 years) and myself are taking my daughter, Katey on 11/4/17 for her first 7 day cruise and her 16th Birthday!! We are excited and trying to figure out the best days to do excursions and the best ports to just wing it, any advice?