Just off Magic - pros /cons

hobster7

Just off the Magic on Saturday. We went to Amber Cove, St. Thomas, Puerto Rico and Grand Turk.

My 4th Carnival cruise with my DW and DD 14 and DS 12. all had a blast.

Pros -

itinerary. Our first time at these ports and we loved them. (More details later).

Food was very good. We ate dinner in the Southern Light MDR every night. Ordered off the Steakhouse menu once but that food was no better than other nights of the MDR menu and not worth the $20 upcharge. (We had dined in the Streakhouse on a previous cruise and that WAS worth it). Buffett was fair to good. Pig and Anchor was exceptional. We went to the Italian restaurant on embarkation day for free lunch and did not enjoy it. It was just a pasta bar so may not be indicative of the quality they have for dinner.

Rope Walk was fun

Comedians - very good but because of the size of the ship and (lack of) size of the comedy club we were forced to exit after each show and take ur chances on being able to get back in after the line of people who had queued up outside the lounge. First time we had experienced this.

Cons -

Stabilizers on this boat were broken or not deployed. Bumps like we were running over roadkill I could not ever figure out. But lack of stabilizers lead to just a side to side rolling that a boat that large and seas relatively calm should not be doing.

Buffett lines - seems like they have the same amount of Buffett stations as the Pride but handling 1,000 more passengers proved to be quite crowded.

Piano bar - A for effort but wow. Roddy was like trying to sing along to a record on 78 speed. And worse, when passed a note asking him to slow it down or keep the original tempo he went on a tirade about how he was an artist and he was performing. No Roddy you are not an artist, Carnival hired you to play at a bar sing a long.

We had a spa room and would go hang in the Thesollain (sp) pool and saunas but didn't think the extras were worth the $$ but YMMV.

Proseco (Italian champagne) was originally listed as avail on Cheers package but when we tried to order it , it had been removed.

Family member had bowling alley balcony. But the sanitation odor that we had read about previously was still present.

DW waited over 45 minutes for the Manchuria Wok. Just not acceptable.

Also had FFTF but for our itinerary found that other than embarkation and disembarkation it was not worth the money. Our itinerary had no tenders and we learned that when docking FTTF doesn't matter. No preference is given to get off first.

More time needed in port - as mentioned above we LOVED our ports but wished we had more time at them. Obviously that's a function of the miles between them but it would be nice to overnight one or more of these places.

I will try to detail ports tmrw. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by hobster7

Thanks for the review. All good info. I have been wanting to go on this ship for while now..but cant travel right now, so harboring info for the future when I can/will be able to travel.

I have already decided not get FttF anymore. I only got it before because I cant stand in line very long, but hoping that will soon be not an issue, and wont need it. Thanks again.

Thanks for the review and information. We'll be on Magic in August with 70+ of our family and friends. It seems that the reviews for the Magic are mixed with some being satisfied, and some not being satisfied. A few in particular mention that the service from the staff has gone down. Did you find this during your cruise? Thanks

We always like to get a certain dining time so that we can develop a relationship with our servers in the MDR.

Our servers at MDR were fantastic. All Bar Tenders were excellent especially at Alchemy.

Everyone we encountered were all either very good or exceptional with the exception of our cabin steward. But I'd still rate him as fair.

Next Cruise - 4/8/17 Carnival Magic

Previous Cruises

Carnival Pride - 11/15

Carnival Pride - 1/15

Carnival Legend 4/14

RCCL Independence of the Seas 11/13

Tons of kids. Lol. But when you go Easter week, we expected it. Not to mention we contributed to it. :)

Previous Cruises

Carnival Pride - 11/15

Carnival Pride - 1/15

Carnival Legend 4/14

Thanks for taking the time to post your review. I sailed on her three times, all prior to the addition of Guy's, Alchemy Bar, etc. during drydock last year.

We had the same issues with the size of the comedy club and the long lines. The Breeze has the same problem,

Glad you enjoyed most aspects of your cruise.

Edited by bury me at sea
Typo.

I sailed the Magic on April 1st and I still have no idea what this 'sewage' smell is, or where to find it.

The only line for any food we saw was at Guys the last two days. Easily 50 people deep on both sides, about 10 minutes after opening.

Ok, I'm a little concerned about the stabilizer issue. We have a first timer going with us and I'm worried about her getting sick. We have been on several cruises (one during a hurricane) so I'm not worried about us. Was the rocking enough to make you sick?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ok, I'm a little concerned about the stabilizer issue. We have a first timer going with us and I'm worried about her getting sick. We have been on several cruises (one during a hurricane) so I'm not worried about us. Was the rocking enough to make you sick?

Try having them take Bonine (buy at any box store or pharmacy) starting 2 nights before trip and every evening of trip. Always do it and never been sick. I never use Dramamine because it makes me sleepy. Even the non drowsy form.

I sailed the Magic on April 1st and I still have no idea what this 'sewage' smell is, or where to find it.

The only line for any food we saw was at Guys the last two days. Easily 50 people deep on both sides, about 10 minutes after opening.

Are you talking about Guy' Burgers or Guy's BBQ

Stabilizers on this boat were broken or not deployed. Bumps like we were running over roadkill I could not ever figure out. But lack of stabilizers lead to just a side to side rolling that a boat that large and seas relatively calm should not be doing.
Just off the Splendor today and hit 3 or the same ports.....we had the same issue with the rocking. I don't get seasick, and actually enjoy the rocking of the ship when I am trying to sleep, but it made it difficult to walk at times.

Did they announce this as a mechanical problem, or perhaps it was just a matter of uncharacteristically high waves? The image on the left, below, is the nominal wave heights for the Caribbean Seas this time of year. The image on the right is the wave heights this morning.

attachment.php?attachmentid=406099&stc=1&d=1492425167

Carib2017AprComparing17tonominal.jpg.1242de6c0b9cc05be1d049850dfce3bc.jpg

Another one here not thrilled to hear about the lack of stablizers. I don't get seasick, but also don't want to feel like the ship is going to tip over all week, either.

And I don't feel like this is the first review I've read that said that....

Hope they get whatever issue it is, fixed by June.:rolleyes:

Thank you Hobster7. I am leaving this coming Saturday on the Magic with the same itinerary. We booked in January 2016 and this has been a loooonnnnnngggg wait.

Bon VOyage!! We are leaving on her in a few weeks so I am getting a bit anxious about this too. We do a LOT of cruising and have been impressed with the fact that you can usually not even tell you are moving! To be bumping and rolling when there is no storm does not sound like fun at all! Can you report back after your cruise and let us know your experience?

Thanks!

We were on the same cruise and there is definitely an issue with the stabilizers.. the seas weren't too rough at all and the boat had a ton of motion and rolling. It wasn't normal for a boat that size. I take Bonine and have never gotten sick but it was tough to walk at some points. I also agree about the long lines- the Wok was ridiculous... 45 mins for lunch. The YTD in Northern Lights took FOREVER- the staff was spread way too thin with too many tables. I also thought the food quality had declined as well in the MDR.

It didn't make anyone in our party of 10 sick, it was more of a nuisance bc I know a ship that size should not be doing that.

There was nothing past the few times where everyone in the hall all go and extra step right then all go back left again.

Previous Cruises

Carnival Pride - 11/15

Carnival Pride - 1/15

Carnival Legend 4/14

The sewage was on deck 9 aft starboard. A couple in our party rec'd a $150 OBC for it although don't think that was nearly enough for having the cabin and hallway smell like that at least once a day.

Previous Cruises

Carnival Pride - 11/15

Carnival Pride - 1/15

Carnival Legend 4/14

They messed up the Mongolian Wok. It used to be 3 cooks with 3 woks each and one line. Now it's 2 lines, 2 cooks with 3 woks each. So each cook cooks only 3 at a time for your line, not 9. Ridiculous. Easy 45 minute wait.

Big and Anchor lines were really, really long but it went fast. Not worth waiting for cold food. I thought the beans had a terrible taste. I got the bottom of the pan last serving of beans.

My steward and his asst. were great as were MDR staff.

Did they announce this as a mechanical problem, or perhaps it was just a matter of uncharacteristically high waves? The image on the left, below, is the nominal wave heights for the Caribbean Seas this time of year. The image on the right is the wave heights this morning.

attachment.php?attachmentid=406099&stc=1&d=1492425167

Lol. You will never get an announcement like that. I asked an officer about it and he confirmed.

It was very windy the last 2 days but the seas were no larger than 3-5 ft swells.

Again. Something similar size and smaller ships I have been on handled much better.

Previous Cruises

Carnival Pride - 11/15

Carnival Pride - 1/15

Carnival Legend 4/14