Spring break on the Allure...a photo review

Now let's talk about the embarkation process for Allure. Get to port, get in line for lowly Gold members, and get all checked in within 10 minutes.

Then you are shuffled up to the seating area. Extremely organized and efficient - even in how they seat you. You will follow the port agent person in the turquoise vest, and you will sit in THAT row, and you will move down all the way to the END, and that is what you will do. Then they will start to announce rows, and everyone will stand up and want to try and move toward the escalator.

OH NO NO NO

They have their eye out for "cutters" and they won't be having that. No sir-eee. Let me tell you, the people that work at Port Everglades are efficient, and serious, and when it comes to your line shenanigans, THEY AREN'T HAVING IT. So you sit where they tell you to sit and you move where they tell you to move. Yes ma'am!

So they will call a row at a time, and they will have that row go in seating order. Nice and fair. Methodical. These people have an eagle eye- just waiting for someone to get out of order. Why doesn't RCCL hire these folks to police the pool decks and solarium???

According to my time stamp, this was taken at 11:10:

bb10caf2fb165ce71f2f850fc06f64e4.jpg

Yep, that is the walkway onto the ship!

4e999f5792b9414c9364420ff47cb376.jpg

We're here, we're here, we're....what's that smell?

Nope, I don't work for the company...just a happy customer so check them out. www.awaytravel.com

Actually, I WAS a happy customer until I put in that link and saw they released a new luggage color - PINK! What? I got Navy, but now I want the pink! No fair!

It looks like the pink is sold out in all styles. Maybe that helps a bit with the buyer's remorse.

So we get onto the Royal Promenade and we're just sort of taking it all in. It's so cool. It's huge. There are lots of people, but not THAT many people, and there is always a weird smell. A really gross, weird smell. Like - I'm sorry - but it smells like feet. And not just any feet. WARM, STINKY feet.

You know how all cruise ships smell kind of the same? Like a cool, clean, newish kind of smell? I can't put my finger on it, but you know what I mean. You come back in from a long, hot day in port and you "Bing!" In your sea pass card and step onboard and inhale and it's this nice, cruise shippy smell.

So at that moment, and for the next day or so, I couldn't place the smell. And then I realized...and I'm sorry you guys, I know there are fans out there, but...I realized the smell was Sorrento's.

DISCLAIMER: We are from the northeast, and lived a good long time in metro New York. You know, the pizza capital of the world (ok, ok, after Italy).

So I apologize to you folks from Pitchfork, Wyoming or Tumbleweed, North Dakota or Cut N'Shoot, Texas (okay, that last one is real, google it) who love Sorrento's - but this #$%& Sorrento's is serving is NOT REAL PIZZA. And for the love of Papa John, the cheese they're using smells like feet. And it stunk up the Royal Promenade all week long. I'm not kidding. It was super nasty.

I'm sorry...but it's true! Even my teenage son wouldn't go near that place. And if you know a growing 16-year old boy, you know that's saying something.

Wow! Loving your sense of humor and review! I'm not even on the Allure..on the Oasis in July and sailed Harmony last summer...but I love a good funny review with pictures..it's a win/win!

I do love that you posted about your experience with Hyatt Place. I am one of those people that think since I have a piece of paper that says I have a reservation, then I do, and what could go wrong?! If nothing else, you have taught me to double check, especially if my travel is delayed..so thanks for that! They certainly should have called you when your cc was declined..especially since that happens so often these days due to compromises...shame on them! Can't wait to read the rest!

So with our noses covered, we headed to Starbucks for a pick-me-up and then wandered around a little. I will say, there were plenty of tables set up (specialty restaurant bookings, shore excursion bookings, drink packages, etc etc), but no one was overtly irritating with the sales pitch. In fact, it was FAR worse on our last trip on Indy when some lady kept trying to stuff sales fliers in our hands everytime we took two steps.

Then we stopped at Guest Services (no line at 11:20!) to check on our FNDR reservation (they allow you to choose the time of dinner when you book online, but not the restaurant). We got Giovanni's Table, which made us quite happy. (I was worried we'd get Sabor, which, if you've read about Sabor on these boards, you will be convinced that they are serving lukewarm green Play-Doh ever since they stopped with the table side guac.)

Anyway...back to Guest Services. A quick word to you parents who are smart enough to put the kiddos in a separate stateroom...this is great. Two bathrooms, privacy. A must when you have two teenagers. We had the kids in a Boardwalk balcony and we had an Oceanview balcony directly across the hall. The only way for our TA to book this is to put one adult and one kid per stateroom- RCCL doesn't allow you to book two kids, not even across the hall.

So we try to straighten out our staterooms, cause no way were hubby and I sharing a room with a kid. We love our kids, but come on. It's vacation! And there's no way I'm staying with one of those little shower-hogging little monsters. I thought Guest Services would be able to just fix that onboard but no...you must keep the rooms one adult/one child. Instead they give you an additional seapass that acts as your extra room card (no charging privileges, though, just opens the door). This I will say, was a total pain in the neck. #firstworldproblems, I know! Two of us (me, because I was booked in Boardwalk but staying in Oceanview and my son, booked in Oceanview but staying in Boardwalk) had to keep track of two seapasses all week. Not a biggie for my son who wore a lanyard, but kinda a pain for me to remember to have both cards at all times. (Until Louis Vuitton comes out with a lanyard I absolutely REFUSE to wear one!) Oh- they were selling plain lanyards as you walked into the ship. Buy them there- if you wait till you board, the ones in the shop are the thick ones and are $8. Just FYI. The cheaper ones looked better.

Another little sea pass snag we didn't discover until later was that for some reason, my husband was linked to Crown and Anchor (lowly gold status, but still, you guys) and mine was not. This is ironic because I am the one who has to cajole, coerce, and convince him every time to go on a cruise. I'm the one selling for you, RCCL, and you give HIM the credit? Come on! He's one of those weirdos who would prefer backpacking in a National Park somewhere, eating stew out of a can while sitting in the cold rain and harping on about nature and sunsets and fresh air. (He tried to ruin our entire cruise by reminding us that next spring break, we'll be in Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks, where I'm pretty sure there are no drink waiters, hot tubs, or Kate Spade shops.) I know, I know. My second husband will most definitely be less outdoorsy and more of a cruise lover. And independently wealthy. And will resemble David Beckham, but will be lazier and not as thin as David Beckham, because what girl wants a husband with a lower BMI than she has? And...wait, where was I????

So after Guest Services, we walked around and explored, wound up in Central Park, which for some reason is 100 times cooler looking in person and does not fail to amaze, even when one has read 457 photos reviews on Allure and looked at approximately 1,293 pictures online.

Although we weren't really hungry (did I mention the Residence Inn had a make-your-own-waffle machine?) we couldn't resist some made to order salads from Park Cafe (no lines at all) and plunked down at a nice outdoor table.

At some point my son wandered over to 150 Central Park. He's a teenager, and like my chocolate lab, is VERY food motivated. So he spotted that short rib entree on the 150 Central Park menu and was all, "MOM! Come here!!!!" I wandered over and wound up buying the 3 night dining package for $85/pp. The guy at 150 was very patient with me and explained he would refund the $60 FNDR we had already purchased. He booked all 3 restaurants right there (Giovannis, 150, Chops) with recommendations from the restaurant guy about which nights we should skip MDR. He was super patient and helpful and very concerned with my getting the right times that didn't conflict with shows. This helpful person was a good sign for the service to come...

I totally agree with both of you. The biggest downside to the Oasis class is the disconnection from the sea. Love everything else about them. But the slides kill the look and the view from the boardwalk area and balcony cabins.

I'm totally with you on that. I had heard about the "disconnection" from the sea and there is no question that this is an inward-facing ship. We really missed the open promenade (although we LOVED the jogging track that was big enough to actually jog on).

We also missed having lounges where we could see the ocean. Celebrity Silhouette has so far been our favorite ship in terms of design.

I think on Oasis class, an Oceanview balcony is a MUST. Otherwise you never really see the ocean!

Loving your review! Thank you for taking the time to write. I planned on sailing the Harmony but got a great deal on Allure so Allure it is! I am not always a fan of others peoples children (have 3 of my own) so love the kid banter. I am of the mind if my kid is doing something stupid by all means let them know and I will give you a high five. ( although not all parents feel the same, scary parents)

I will shut up now, and wait for your continued entertainment!!

Don't shut up, I'm LONELY over here!

I think you'll love Allure. Can't imagine Harmony has much over Allure other than that big slide and a higher price tag. (Okay, I'm sure there's more than that but you get my point!)

Following! Thank you for the review, it's cracking me up!

I agree the Hyatt should have made an attempt to contact you about your card.

I know, riiiight? The Florida departures board people are inclined to disagree with us on that.

Next time I'll use the app- thanks for the tip!

Wow! Loving your sense of humor and review! I'm not even on the Allure..on the Oasis in July and sailed Harmony last summer...but I love a good funny review with pictures..it's a win/win!

I do love that you posted about your experience with Hyatt Place. I am one of those people that think since I have a piece of paper that says I have a reservation, then I do, and what could go wrong?! If nothing else, you have taught me to double check, especially if my travel is delayed..so thanks for that! They certainly should have called you when your cc was declined..especially since that happens so often these days due to compromises...shame on them! Can't wait to read the rest!

Awww, thanks. I am the same way. If I have a print out that says CONFIRMATION, then what else do I need? Well, I guess we have both learned that these days, we need a confirmation of our confirmations! :confused:

I did hop on the Cruise Critic Florida departures board to post a little cautionary tale about confirming reservations, and the fine folks over there ripped me a new one, like only Cruise Critic members can. Yes, yes, I know, the credit card thing was my fault- I admit it! But really, no sympathy over the mean treatment and snotty desk clerk? Not even for Hyatt cardholders? Not even when nobody bothered to even try and reach us? Nope- you want sympathy, call your mama, cause the folks on the CC boards are NOT HAVING IT. You know how it is. Le sigh.

Yes we do.;):D

Last up, Harmony. This ship was jumping. Lots of excited passengers. But I have to say: that dumb abyss slide is ugly, you guys. Ruins the whole aesthetic of the back of the ship. Sorry, I know that's blasphemy...but ugh!

I don't know. I once heard someone describe the back of the Oasis class ships as looking like a cleft palate. It is pretty hard to mess that up with a slide.

Still in love with you but I do understand your husband's outdoorsy fascination....hoping that our rain chances go away for Thursday, I am ready to get on a trail! :cool:

Throughly enjoying this review, keep going! Sincerely, Boo

Another little sea pass snag we didn't discover until later was that for some reason, my husband was linked to Crown and Anchor (lowly gold status, but still, you guys) and mine was not. This is ironic because I am the one who has to cajole, coerce, and convince him every time to go on a cruise. I'm the one selling for you, RCCL, and you give HIM the credit? Come on! He's one of those weirdos who would prefer backpacking in a National Park somewhere, eating stew out of a can while sitting in the cold rain and harping on about nature and sunsets and fresh air. (He tried to ruin our entire cruise by reminding us that next spring break, we'll be in Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks, where I'm pretty sure there are no drink waiters, hot tubs, or Kate Spade shops.) I know, I know. My second husband will most definitely be less outdoorsy and more of a cruise lover. And independently wealthy. And will resemble David Beckham, but will be lazier and not as thin as David Beckham, because what girl wants a husband with a lower BMI than she has? And...wait, where was I????

I have had the same issue when booking cruises and changing cruises. When I complained to the RCCL customer service agent she told me that their system was sexist and always put the male as the primary person. Ridiculous since I had cruised tons before I met my husband and I was the once who had attained the status!

Great review. Do you think you can hurry and finish by Sunday before I leave for Barcelona on the Freedom of the Seas TA? If you ever get back to Everglades Holiday Park stop by and say hello. I live 10 minutes from there.

I must tell you that I am enjoying this immensely. You are very witty. I loved the second husband comment and the child being food motivated like the dog. Hysterical. Keep it up as I had a long day at work and my cruise is 28 days away. Not that I am counting or anything😜

Great review. Do you think you can hurry and finish by Sunday before I leave for Barcelona on the Freedom of the Seas TA? If you ever get back to Everglades Holiday Park stop by and say hello. I live 10 minutes from there.

Well NOW you tell me. We could've gone to your house for lunch that day! ;)

I will do my best to finish this week! Enjoy your trip!

I must tell you that I am enjoying this immensely. You are very witty. I loved the second husband comment and the child being food motivated like the dog. Hysterical. Keep it up as I had a long day at work and my cruise is 28 days away. Not that I am counting or anything[emoji12]

Glad I can entertain you while you count down!! Lucky you...4 weeks away!

who was the captain

Sent from my SM-J327P using Forums mobile app

Captain...Jack? No. Captain Morgan. Wait- Captain Crunch!!!

Seriously, I have NO idea. Whomever he was, I'm guessing English was not his first language, because his announcements each day were like: "Hullo this is uti odds fsdjklh rewjklj iosjfi..." I'm not sure if it was him or a really crappy PA system. I couldn't understand anything I heard over the PA - maybe the airboat ride blew out my hearing.

And speaking of the PA system, I did not like how many times it came on a day. On Celebrity they do one announcement and it's informative (weather, position, etc), and I like that much better. Since you asked...

Rooms open promptly at 1pm, and I fully intended to snap photos of our two cabins before everyone moved in, but the teenagers were eager to make themselves at home (as in, throw their clothes all over the floor, lounge on their beds, and FaceTime their friends). The kids had Boardwalk room #9329, which is the last one one the end, overlooking the Aqua Theatre. This was kinda cool, because you could see what was going on. One day I wandered out there and snapped a photo of the Oceanaria guy using the rock wall climbing area to warm up before the diving show. I was a total creeper and got these:

13cceec98c9c132e09841bf2720b8896.jpg

3647e0ce25579295010ad49487f75902.jpg

Just FYI, he does his warm-up basically wearing a pair of tiny little man panties. Don't try this at home, folks. (The man panties, I mean. The handstands you should feel free to try at home.)

Hubby and I went across the hall - we had Oceanview cabin 9326, right across from the kiddos and as far aft as you can go (only one cabin past ours). We don't mind walking, in fact, we do stairs most of the time and enjoy the extra calorie burn. (I feel more justified stuffing my face and trying to single-handedly empty out the Trellis Bar when I've done a little walking!)

So we spent time unpacking. Pretty good storage in these rooms, but seriously, more USBs and plugs, please! And no outlet in the bathroom? Honestly, am I supposed to dry my hair at that little vanity table? Craziness. We had two cards in our stateroom with our OBC from our TA - $425 for our Oceanview cabin and $400 for the kids BW balcony. (Yes, for those who are wondering, TAs are TOTALLY worth it.)

Back to the rooms. Here's the view from the kids' room:

6562bdbd71bfe5e02df6a61a0636012f.jpg

30e2e3ddfb88d3625a5861428f1f3576.jpg

Our muster station was in Aqua Theatre. We always plan to arrive right on time for muster (not 15 min before, like we did on Celebrity. They put us against the wall in the room and packed rows upon rows of people in front of us...claustrophobic much???) Compared to that, being in the Aqua Theatre was a treat. We sat down, watched a video, and we're done in about seven minutes. It was the most efficient muster we've had- and very comfortable! Nice job, RCCL.

After muster we hit up the Solarium and got our first umbrella drinks of the trip- strawberry daiquiris and virgins for the kids.

7520224cb3c83e37283665c99ba8ced7.jpg

You will note in the picture that one of the books I read on this trip was "How to Murder Your Life" by Cat Marnell. It was absolutely fascinating...she worked in the fashion magazine industry and also was a semi-functioning drug addict...interesting memoir if you have the stomach for it. Oh, and this book also served as a wonderful coaster for my poolside drinks.

SO the daiquiris were yummy, then we hit up the Solarium hot tubs, then went back to room to shower and get ready for dinner...Giovanni's Table that first night.

I think the specialty restaurant have the BEST ambiance on this ship. Having them all off Central Park just makes it that much nicer. We had an excellent dinner...everything was great, the service, the food, the wine. We all had the filet (except for vegetarian daughter- they fussed over her!) and even thought we didn't order it - because let's be honest, it sounds disgusting - the waiter brought us olive oil cake. It was the 2nd best dessert I had all week! I don't even want to know what the calorie count on that bad boy is.

Next up: Oceanaria! Featuring the muscular man-panty guy!