Spring break on the Allure...a photo review

fd2cc10ec09f37c77b2aba94b2b312cb.jpg

So for some reason, my only photo of the hotel (I told you I was bad at photos, you guys) is of this little guy sitting outside our window.

Those of you who remember our Celebrity Silhouette review will recall how grossed out I am by reptiles. In Grand Cayman they are such a nuisance it's legal to kill them. I could never live there...give me NYC and chihuahua sized rats any day of the week over these nasty things!) I proposed a new shore excursion for GC, Deluxe Lizard Shoot and Beach Break...for some reason it's still not being offered by the cruise line.

LOL My brother in law just came back from one of those islands and posted a pic of around 30 of those huge things that he killed on vacation

Can't wait to read more!!! I have loved your review so far!! I will be cruising on Allure May 21st We are staying at Hyatt Place (Thanks for the heads up on what happened to you, I'll now be sure to call and confirm a few days before flying in) we will also now be eating at Gilberts for dinner Saturday night ! Thank you!!

Okay...so where were we? It's Saturday afternoon, and around 4pm I decide it would be a great idea to go to the port somewhere and watch Harmony and the other ships leave. We wanted to go on the beach side, to that rock jetty area, but: Tortuga Music Festival. That wasn't happening.

So my husband jumped on Google earth and found a state park on the other side...and we decided to head there. I had never heard of this place on the boards before (then again, I never really looked hard to find a good spot to watch ships leave), but it turned out to be EXCELLENT. Great spot to watch the ships leave.

The place is the John U. Lloyd Beach State Park. It costs $6 per car to get in. Once you're in the park, follow the road alllll the way to the end, park, and you can walk out on this really long walkway/jetty.

Behold...ships leaving port!

c4dc456bf0b98bfdaf22719d3b2f38d7.jpg

Independence was the first to leave, which was cool because that was the ship we took the kids on their first cruise.

67ea1a5155e3c0501eb6aee5de5d5f50.jpg

ce97bc5b4991af008bfe9d0a3da4dd0b.jpg

Here's a good picture of what the jetty looked like:

f0ccf717cbc82b97b7d77c4c87475a87.jpg

Bye, Indy!

Next to leave port: Holland America Eurodam. Let me tell you, these passengers did nothing to dispel the myth that they're a bunch of dried up old forgies.

I tell you, if there were 40 people on deck for sailaway I'd be surprised. The ship looked deserted.

Then again, maybe all the passengers were either at dinner (it was 4:45pm, after all), or in their staterooms applying their BenGay.

{Kidding, kidding! I'm an old lady at heart. I hate loud music, my hips are always sore, and you kids STAY OFF MY LAWN!}

29f1bf63de3d71f30ab1b8d292a6f3df.jpg

cd3a7e1ea7be4534d093d18544bc2f27.jpg

• Haha 1

Loving your review! Thank you for taking the time to write. I planned on sailing the Harmony but got a great deal on Allure so Allure it is! I am not always a fan of others peoples children (have 3 of my own) so love the kid banter. I am of the mind if my kid is doing something stupid by all means let them know and I will give you a high five. ( although not all parents feel the same, scary parents)

I will shut up now, and wait for your continued entertainment!!

So if you want to check this place out - and you should! - their website is http://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Mizell-Johnson.

The other cool thing to note is that there is a restaurant inside the park - The Whiskey Creek Hideout. As you enter the park they'll hand you a menu.

They have swimming (although the beaches were kind sea-weedy), walking trails, etc. My husband said next time we'll have to spend the day there and do the hiking trails. Sigh. There is nothing he likes more than being uncomfortable and dirty in nature. I don't get it.

a2d928cefb33da54cb63b8af0a3e3c16.jpg

05408bbd823e755384b197fc7eaf761d.jpg

Following even though we sailed her in early March. :)

BTW; I 110% agree with your dislike of the slides. They are a real eyesore and block the already limited water view.

I totally agree with both of you. The biggest downside to the Oasis class is the disconnection from the sea. Love everything else about them. But the slides kill the look and the view from the boardwalk area and balcony cabins.

Following! Thank you for the review, it's cracking me up!

I agree the Hyatt should have made an attempt to contact you about your card. As I stay there every time I cruise out of FLL (hotel and location are awesome, and it's only 8,000 Hyatt points!), here is a tip for you or any other future cruisers staying there: Hyatt has a pretty nice App that will allow you to not only easily confirm your reservations at a glance, but also check in to your room 24 hours out! So you can confirm not only your reservation but also guarantee your room in case the unforseen occurs and you are very late. I use it every time. :-)

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using Forums App

Great review! I am trying to keep my laughter to myself as I watch people taking a test for my work. Its keeping me entertained. Looking forward to more, we sail out on Allure at the end of May :)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Lisa fell in love with one like this at the Flagship LV Store on the Champs-Élysées, which I have nicknamed the location "The Mothership". Needless to say I stressed that Crocodile Bags would not be allowed to be imported to Canada. I also pointed it the simple fact that it was a bit out of her price range. She found the purse in seconds when I asked her about it just now, thankfully she didn't see the tab for Mother's Day Shipping.

cbf2fccd2095ff34ed7149e6f4550e5f.jpg

:hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes: THATS THE ONE!

How gorgeous is that bag??? Andrew, think of all the cruises Lisa has let you take...that bag is a drop in the bucket when you think about all those Crown Loft Suites and private flowrider sessions, am i right?????

Okay...so it's finally cruise day! Here is how it usually goes in our family:

Husband: "What time are we leaving for the port?"

Me: "10am, so we can arrive and check in by 10:30am."

Husband (holding sea pass printout): "But this thing says we should arrive between 12:30 and 2:30."

Me: "Only first time cruisers follow that. We want to be there EARLY so we can get on the ship FIRST!"

Husband: "But how do you know-"

Me (interrupting): "I READ IT ON CRUISE CRITIC, OK?!?!"

Our cab arrived at the Residence Inn Dania Beach promptly at 10am. We never take the $8/pp hotel shuttle- because shuttles to the port are for suckers! Ok, actually that's really mean- we don't do the shuttle because it seems to take FOREVER to load and drop everyone off and I am just anxious to get. There. Now!

We were at the port, dropped our bazillion pounds of luggage with the porter.

***And now a word from our sponsor****

Need new luggage? Tired of paying high retail prices? Want top quality without the markup? Let me introduce to you a fabulous new brand...AWAY luggage!

Well, our last set of luggage was an engagement gift from my parents way back in 1997, and while that hunter green Samsonite stuff was the height of luxury 20 years ago, it is now looking beat up. Time to upgrade.

So here is the new stuff...

95248d3baf2985307e09ca1b8b9a297b.jpg

In doing research and shopping around a lot (in store and online), hubby discovered a new brand of luggage which is only sold online. Much like the Warby Parker eyeglass and Casper mattress brands, this luggage company is direct-to-consumer. After much research and reading lots of reviews online, we took the plunge and bought a set.

The coolest part is that the carry on size has a built in battery charger with two USB ports that can charge a dead iPhone up to 10 times! That was a lifesaver during our 4 hour flight delay. (There is little worse than hovering around around a plug near the floor of the airport like a junkie in withdrawal.)

Plus, this stuff doesn't just roll...that's so 1997! It rolls and swivels and fits a ton of stuff and charges your phone and calls you an Uber and mixes you a drink when you arrive at your destination. (Okay, it does MOST of that stuff.)

Nope, I don't work for the company...just a happy customer so check them out. http://www.awaytravel.com

Actually, I WAS a happy customer until I put in that link and saw they released a new luggage color - PINK! What? I got Navy, but now I want the pink! No fair!