Spring break on the Allure...a photo review

Truly laughed out loud at the pizza smell comment! We just got off the Oasis and the promenade there also smells like stinky feet! In the hopes of enticing people I'm sure they have a Parmesan aroma machine. I thought it was vile!

VILE is the perfect word to describe it. It was seriously foul in there.

After reading so many reviews, you think you know exactly what to expect when you're onboard. But no one on CC ever mentioned that Sorrento's stinks up the whole promenade with Eau D'Foot Stench. I thought I may have been the only one who noticed it!

We had booked Hyatt Place about 8 months ago through Value Trips, as recommended by the fine folks here at Cruise Critic. The rate was $215/night which was pretty darn good, considering it was spring break week and I was having a hard time finding rooms less than $300.

It did occur to me - briefly, fleetingly - to call Hyatt Place and tell them that we were getting in late...but then I thought, nah, I confirmed it two weeks ago, I have the confirmation email printed out, what could go wrong? Well, lots.

First off, we had to wait about 40 minutes at the FLL airport for the shuttle to the rental car area. There was a huge long line, and we were exhausted, and I wanted to skip the rental car and just jump on the Hyatt Place shuttle bus (which was sitting right there), but my husband in all his wisdom insisted we be patient and get the rental car. Good thing, because when we arrived at Hyatt Place there was no room for us.

That's right- I showed the lady my confirmation and she whispered to the guy next to her, and he whispered back, and she clicked around on her computer, and said she didn't have a reservation for us. Okay, clearly a mistake. Here is my confirmation. She said, "That reservation was cancelled." What the what?! She went on to explain that they had cancelled our reservation 3 days earlier because my credit card declined. (Ohhhh...yeah...my credit card was hacked the week before and the bank issued me a new one. Do you remember which credit card you use to make each reservation? If you do, you are a better person than me!)

So....why didn't someone call me when it declined? She said, "We had no way to get in touch with you." I leaned over the counter (they have the monitors built in under the counters there, so they look down through the glass) and I clearly see the info screen which shows not just my name, address, email, but also our THREE PHONE NUMBERS and I say to the woman, "Seriously?!" I will say that the staff there was not that apologetic. Yep, the credit card thing was totally my fault, but this is what got me: she said, "Well this was a THIRD PARTY BOOKING," as if people who book that way are a bunch of degenerates. A simple apology would have gone a long way. Not impressed Hyatt Place 17th Street, not impressed.

So like Mary and Joseph, there was no room at the inn (the place?) for us. (No, really, we are JUST LIKE Mary and Joseph and our son is positively angelic, trust me). Despite our being degenerate third party bookers, the desk staff called over to the Residence Inn near the airport to see if they had room for us, and we had to hop in the rental car and drive back that way (thank goodness for the rental car). Luckily the Residence Inn had a room open - with one king bed. But beggars can't be choosers so I broke the news to the kids that they would be on the sofa and floor while dad and I enjoyed a delightful night's rest in a big comfy bed.

Honestly though I was bummed, because the Residence Inn is NOT near the 17th street corridor where we like to stay, and it meant we were driving all over in the rental car instead of just walking. In the end, we had the option to spend the 2nd night at the Hyatt Place where a room opened up, but we decided not to move again, because it just seemed like more trouble than it was worth.

I did hop on the Cruise Critic Florida departures board to post a little cautionary tale about confirming reservations, and the fine folks over there ripped me a new one, like only Cruise Critic members can. Yes, yes, I know, the credit card thing was my fault- I admit it! But really, no sympathy over the mean treatment and snotty desk clerk? Not even for Hyatt cardholders? Not even when nobody bothered to even try and reach us? Nope- you want sympathy, call your mama, cause the folks on the CC boards are NOT HAVING IT. You know how it is. Le sigh.

So clearly, not the best start to our vacation- but my husband feels like the more stressed you are getting there, the more relaxing the vacation will feel. (Yeah, I know. He's weird.)

The saga will continue tomorrow, friends...when we hit the Everglades!

That is why we never book with a 3rd party.

Loving your review. I want to confirm if you can use SB gift cards @ Starbucks? Im reading conflicting info. Also, do you happen to know if they have a decent selection of SF syrups? Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can use your gift card at the Starbucks on board. :)

Not sure about the syrups, though- I always get a plain latte.

Okay...so it's finally cruise day! Here is how it usually goes in our family:

Husband: "What time are we leaving for the port?"

Me: "10am, so we can arrive and check in by 10:30am."

Husband (holding sea pass printout): "But this thing says we should arrive between 12:30 and 2:30."

Me: "Only first time cruisers follow that. We want to be there EARLY so we can get on the ship FIRST!"

Husband: "But how do you know-"

Me (interrupting): "I READ IT ON CRUISE CRITIC, OK?!?!"

Our cab arrived at the Residence Inn Dania Beach promptly at 10am. We never take the $8/pp hotel shuttle- because shuttles to the port are for suckers! Ok, actually that's really mean- we don't do the shuttle because it seems to take FOREVER to load and drop everyone off and I am just anxious to get. There. Now!

We were at the port, dropped our bazillion pounds of luggage with the porter.

***And now a word from our sponsor****

Need new luggage? Tired of paying high retail prices? Want top quality without the markup? Let me introduce to you a fabulous new brand...AWAY luggage!

Well, our last set of luggage was an engagement gift from my parents way back in 1997, and while that hunter green Samsonite stuff was the height of luxury 20 years ago, it is now looking beat up. Time to upgrade.

So here is the new stuff...

95248d3baf2985307e09ca1b8b9a297b.jpg

In doing research and shopping around a lot (in store and online), hubby discovered a new brand of luggage which is only sold online. Much like the Warby Parker eyeglass and Casper mattress brands, this luggage company is direct-to-consumer. After much research and reading lots of reviews online, we took the plunge and bought a set.

The coolest part is that the carry on size has a built in battery charger with two USB ports that can charge a dead iPhone up to 10 times! That was a lifesaver during our 4 hour flight delay. (There is little worse than hovering around around a plug near the floor of the airport like a junkie in withdrawal.)

Plus, this stuff doesn't just roll...that's so 1997! It rolls and swivels and fits a ton of stuff and charges your phone and calls you an Uber and mixes you a drink when you arrive at your destination. (Okay, it does MOST of that stuff.)

Nope, I don't work for the company...just a happy customer so check them out. www.awaytravel.com

Actually, I WAS a happy customer until I put in that link and saw they released a new luggage color - PINK! What? I got Navy, but now I want the pink! No fair!

Oooooooh. . .after schlepping 10 days' worth of stuff (and I'll be the first to admit I'm a little high-maintenance. . .honey, vanity isn't a sin, it's a full-time job!!!!) to and from Navigator last month, I am SO in the market for new luggage!!!

We'll be on Allure NEXT March (and I'm trying to convince someone, anyone, to accompany me on Empress to Cuba in November for my birthday, but so far, no takers), so I have plenty of time to shop!!!

Following along and can't wait to read more!!!!

Anyway...back to Guest Services. A quick word to you parents who are smart enough to put the kiddos in a separate stateroom...this is great. Two bathrooms, privacy. A must when you have two teenagers. We had the kids in a Boardwalk balcony and we had an Oceanview balcony directly across the hall. The only way for our TA to book this is to put one adult and one kid per stateroom- RCCL doesn't allow you to book two kids, not even across the hall.

Loving the review.

For your next cruise insist that your TA call Royal as opposed to using their online booking system. By calling you can absolutely book the kids in their own stateroom. It has to be directly beside yours or directly across the hall. We've done this many times in the past and have several future cruises booked this way. It's unfortunate that some TA's either don't know this or just don't want to take the extra time to call and book this way. So much easier only having to keep track of one Seapass card.

Loving your review. I want to confirm if you can use SB gift cards @ Starbucks? Im reading conflicting info. Also, do you happen to know if they have a decent selection of SF syrups? Thx

Yes- I used the Starbucks app on my phone with no problem.

That is why we never book with a 3rd party.

Yeah apparently they really look down upon 3rd party bookings, as evidenced by the desk clerk treating us like we were trying to pay in coffee cans full of pennies.

(They shouldn't contract out 3rd party bookings if it's so much trouble for them!)

Loving the review.

For your next cruise insist that your TA call Royal as opposed to using their online booking system. By calling you can absolutely book the kids in their own stateroom. It has to be directly beside yours or directly across the hall. We've done this many times in the past and have several future cruises booked this way. It's unfortunate that some TA's either don't know this or just don't want to take the extra time to call and book this way. So much easier only having to keep track of one Seapass card.

I knew I had read that somewhere, which was why I was surprised that Guest Services said it was not possible.

But now I know for next time!!!

I knew I had read that somewhere, which was why I was surprised that Guest Services said it was not possible.

But now I know for next time!!!

Depending on the ship guest services may or may not switch people around, dome will and some won't. Best just to book it the way you want it in the first place.

I think the specialty restaurant have the BEST ambiance on this ship. Having them all off Central Park just makes it that much nicer. We had an excellent dinner...everything was great, the service, the food, the wine. We all had the filet (except for vegetarian daughter- they fussed over her!) and even thought we didn't order it - because let's be honest, it sounds disgusting - the waiter brought us olive oil cake. It was the 2nd best dessert I had all week! I don't even want to know what the calorie count on that bad boy is.

I had never heard of that stuff but had it for the first time in my life Easter Sunday at my aunt's house. I thought it would be disgusting until I tried it.... then I couldn't stop eating it.

micmacmissy - your AWAY luggage, how heavy is the luggage without being packed? I always seem to come real close to the 50 lb limit, so a light weight suitcase is a neccessity. Thanks!

The big one is 9.9 lbs empty. I packed that sucker FULL and was fully prepared to pay for extra weight. But it weighed in at 46 lbs!

Depending on the ship guest services may or may not switch people around, dome will and some won't. Best just to book it the way you want it in the first place.

Thanks. Next time I'll insist that gets done when booking. Cause there's no way I'm going back to one cabin!!! :D

Loving the review.

I have a 18 and 14 year old. I have been getting them there own cabin for years. No you can not book them alone if you have 2 balcony staterooms. If they r in a window cabin or inside cabin, that's different.

I have a 18 and 14 year old. I have been getting them there own cabin for years. No you can not book them alone if you have 2 balcony staterooms. If they r in a window cabin or inside cabin, that's different.

We have sailed in several balcony cabins with the kids in their own room and have several reservations coming up in balcony cabins with the kids in their own rooms.

So we get onto the Royal Promenade and we're just sort of taking it all in. It's so cool. It's huge. There are lots of people, but not THAT many people, and there is always a weird smell. A really gross, weird smell. Like - I'm sorry - but it smells like feet. And not just any feet. WARM, STINKY feet.

You know how all cruise ships smell kind of the same? Like a cool, clean, newish kind of smell? I can't put my finger on it, but you know what I mean. You come back in from a long, hot day in port and you "Bing!" In your sea pass card and step onboard and inhale and it's this nice, cruise shippy smell.

So at that moment, and for the next day or so, I couldn't place the smell. And then I realized...and I'm sorry you guys, I know there are fans out there, but...I realized the smell was Sorrento's.

DISCLAIMER: We are from the northeast, and lived a good long time in metro New York. You know, the pizza capital of the world (ok, ok, after Italy).

So I apologize to you folks from Pitchfork, Wyoming or Tumbleweed, North Dakota or Cut N'Shoot, Texas (okay, that last one is real, google it) who love Sorrento's - but this #$%& Sorrento's is serving is NOT REAL PIZZA. And for the love of Papa John, the cheese they're using smells like feet. And it stunk up the Royal Promenade all week long. I'm not kidding. It was super nasty.

I'm sorry...but it's true! Even my teenage son wouldn't go near that place. And if you know a growing 16-year old boy, you know that's saying something.

Omg , we just got off thr Freedom of the Seas, and I thought the same thing . Everytime we past Sorrentos it smelled like feet. You are spot on. lol

We have sailed in several balcony cabins with the kids in their own room and have several reservations coming up in balcony cabins with the kids in their own rooms.

I may have to call and demand.

Edited by renza

Captain...Jack? No. Captain Morgan. Wait- Captain Crunch!!!

Seriously, I have NO idea. Whomever he was, I'm guessing English was not his first language, because his announcements each day were like: "Hullo this is uti odds fsdjklh rewjklj iosjfi..." I'm not sure if it was him or a really crappy PA system. I couldn't understand anything I heard over the PA - maybe the airboat ride blew out my hearing...

Oh, BFE sista (yeah, I'm still following you!!!), I just laughed out loud !!! :'):') I think that same captain is on every ship. Our first cruise was out of New Orleans and the only word we could recognize was "reeeever" about every 15-20th word. We finally quit trying to understand anything Captain Kangaroo ... errrr, Caveman .... had to say!! As long as we got there and back we were happy !! ;p

You must be extremely lucky. Even in adjoining cabins never have they or will they let them be booked alone in a balcony. This is for safety issues and has been the policy for years. Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maybe something changed?? I just booked our next cruise with Royal directly and they said it was fine to book our 18yo and 11yo in the Boardwalk balcony across the hall from our oceanview balcony. They said it can only be done over the phone by RCCL.

Not sure why they would do it if its not their policy. :)