Information about currencies on Independence of the Seas

Babynan

Hi.

We are booked on the Independence of the Seas at the end of September, going to the mediterranean. Could anyone tell us what the currencies are on board.

Are things for sale in Pounds, Dollars or Euro's?

The reason I am asking is, we are using our Natwest Debit Card. If items are in GBP then we will not be hit with any charges for currency exchange from our bank.

Natwest has some quite heavy foreign currency charges.

Thanks

James

Thanks for your reply. I never knew our first cruise was going to be this complicated. I had this idea, that sailing out of Southampton UK, the currency would have been GBP's.

I've also spent the last few days trying to join the meet & mingle, without success. I think I will just give up on that one.

Thanks for your help anyway.

James

Thanks for your help. We don't use Credit cards, only Debit cards. and we were a bit concerned because Natwest charge for Foreign transactions and also Foreign exchange. Whisch could add up to quite a bit.

Hi again.

Just another question regarding cards.

When you register a Credit Card with the ship, are purchase amounts taken from the card as you purchase them, or do they wait until the end of the cruise before taking the money?

Hi again.

Just another question regarding cards.

When you register a Credit Card with the ship, are purchase amounts taken from the card as you purchase them, or do they wait until the end of the cruise before taking the money?

The card is charged once at the end of the cruise.

Hi Bob. Thanks for that information. That helps us a lot.

Being new to cruising, we don't know how anything works. I'm sure after a few cruises we will become old hands. We can then give advice and help to others.

Thanks again.

James

I'm assuming you are a fellow Brit upon your mention of Natwest so just wanted to let you know on what cruise ships (inc Royal) also do with Debit cards (not sure about Credit cards).

They put a hold for a certain amount on your debit card ( seemingly no matter where you are from) after the cruise just in case it doesn't clear/you do not have enough. So there will be the amount charged at the end of the cruise that you spent and a bit extra. This extra is held for around 3-5 days then goes back.

I found it wierd at first but I always have surplus in my account so did not notice. Carnival, Royal and X have all done this to mine and my husband's debit cards. Royal did this even when our card wasn't signed up the whole cruise....we paid our account off with our cards at the end like a hotel bill.

Hi. Thanks for the information. As you can probably see, we are trying to find the best way to avoid paying the very high fees that Natwest charge.

Do you think it would be possible to register a Credit Card first of all. Then at the end of the cruise, pay some of the bill in cash and the rest on the card?

Hi. Thanks for the information. As you can probably see, we are trying to find the best way to avoid paying the very high fees that Natwest charge.

Do you think it would be possible to register a Credit Card first of all. Then at the end of the cruise, pay some of the bill in cash and the rest on the card?

Yes.

You register a card when you join the ship, but at any point up to a couple of days before the end you can go along to the purser's desk ("Guest Relations") and change the arrangements to pay in cash, or with another card, or split the cost as you wish between any card/s and cash - for instance 50/50 between two cards, or his purchases on his card and her purchases on her card, or a chunk in cash and the remainder on a card or cards - it's all very flexible.

"Card" means a credit card, or a debit card linked to your bank account - most cruise lines don't accept pre-pay debit cards because with a pre-pay card they can't "hold" funds as mentioned by Velvetwater.

Just to be sure that you understand a "hold", because it affects your cashflow..............

Each day, the cruise line will ring-fence an arbitrary sum of money from your card - I don't know how much that is for Royal Caribbean. The money isn't actually taken from your card and it won't appear on any statements, it's merely "held" so that you can't spend that money elsewhere.

At the end of the cruise, the total that you actually spent (or the balance, if you paid a chunk in cash) is debited from your card in a single transaction..

But it takes a few days - up to a couple of weeks - after the cruise before that "hold" is released. I could never understand in these days of instant communication why there's a delay, but there is. It means that until the "hold" is released, you've effectively paid double. If you run a low bank balance (or you're close to the max on a credit card) you won't be able to access those funds, meaning you might not be able to draw money or your direct debits (rent, mortgage, HP payments etc) will not be honoured.

It's much the same with car rentals & hotels - they "hold" some of your card funds in case there's some extra expense, like a hotel phone bill or a rented car returned without a full tank.

Since the "held" money isn't actually taken, you won't have to pay interest.

A snag with your thoughts about paying a chunk in cash to avoid foreign transaction charges.......

Yes, unless you have a card which doesn't charge for foreign transactions you'll pay a fee. But your bank or card issuer will use wholesale exchange rates - and that's about 4 percent better than an exchange bureau - so you'll effectively have to pay the foreign transaction cost one way or another. And with cash dollars you have to guesstimate how many you'll need.

The way to avoid that transaction cost is to get a credit card which doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee.

Good wholesale exchange rate & no fees :)

Halifax Clarity, Post Office credit card, and Capital One are examples.

We have one that we use only for foreign travel, and pay everything we can with that card - hotels, meals, fuel, shop purchases, etc, all charged in local currency.

It's up to you whether you get one of those cards just for this cruise, but if you plan to go abroad from time to time it's very well worth the effort.

One other option

On the ship, or even in the paperwork before the cruise, Royal Caribbean will ask whether you'd like your card to be charged in the card's currency rather than US dollars "for your convenience".

I usually advise against accepting this offer, because ships' exchange rates are usually poor and most also charge a foreign transaction fee. But if Nat West's fee is higher than most, you could check out the rates and charges - there's a possibility that the ship converting to sterling might work out better for you.

But really your best option by far is to get a card with no foreign transaction fees.

Complicated, innit :D

JB :)

Hi. Thanks for your information. You have made it a lot clearer for us.

It's nice to know that we have the flexibility to pay our bill in different ways. It certainly is complicated. (Especially for new ones like us)

We were getting to the point of wishing we had gone to Butlins instead. :D:D

My wife thinks I am worrying for no reason. But I am one of those people who like to make sure everything is in place. (sad I know)

Thanks again.

James

I know John. Used to go there years ago.

The last 2 years we have been going to Orlando. (We love Disney) We did have it booked again for this year, but our daughter moaned at us about going for a third year, so we cancelled it and booked this cruise instead.

We are looking forward to it really. Just a bit apprehensive because we don't know much about cruising. Things that we knew in Orlando, like the cost of everything, what to wear, places to visit. We are not sure about costs in Europe.

But I'm sure it will be fine.

• 1 year later...

We are also on Independence of the seas, Transatlantic in October. Suggest you take a currency card which does not chrarge exchange fees and can be used anywhere. We have used our HALIFAX Clarity card all around the world. The exchange rate is as good as it gets and the only fees we ever pay are for withdrawing currency. Our Son works on cruise ships and he has been to so many countries he has lost count. He also carries a HALIFAX Clarity card. You will be able to use it in Europe and on the ship to pay your bill. No problems.

We are also on Independence of the seas, Transatlantic in October. Suggest you take a currency card which does not chrarge exchange fees and can be used anywhere. .

Looks like the OP sailed in Sept 2017

but the info may help him next trip

Welcome to Cruise Critic