Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam in Alaska? - Please check out these itinerary finalists.

EeyoreFan1967

Which itinerary?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which itinerary?

• Round Trip Seattle with Sitka on Eurodam
    • Round Trip Vancouver with Skagway on Nieuw Amsterdam

Hope you had a wonderful day with your grandson!

Thanks so much for the link. I will keep an eye on it!

DUH! I hadn't even noticed your signature...I haven't really noticed any signatures on here. I supposed I should work on one for myself.

Yeah we really want to see Sitka, too, but Vancouver is more of a bucket list city than Seattle. Such a dilemma.

I have been watching the prices too, not as long as you, but for a while, only I hadn't narrowed down my itinerary so I don't think I was watching the "right" prices. I am working with a TA but I think he will watch prices for me...I'm not going to book unless I know I can get a full refund before late February. I appreciate your advice!

Have a great cruise! I can't wait to read all about it!

Thank you! I'm only 50 but he gives me a run for my money...and I love it! lol

We noticed our cruise in the "top 10" Best deals of the week on the HAL homepage.

These cruises are only for 2017 sailings so it wouldn't show your dates until next year.

I don't think this will be our only Alaska trip. We really want to see Denali someday but with work restraints that will have to be a retirement trip.

This "work" thing is really getting in the way of our bucket list. lol;)

The main reason I have chosen the Vancouver inside passage is the stunning scenery and the calmer waters. .

The difference between the outside and inside route should not be underestimated... not only is the Inside Passage more beautiful, but many of my clients have been disappointed to find the voyage from Seattle is on open ocean and can be very rough. So your family's tolerance for rough seas should be taken into consideration

Yes I definitely enjoyed this trip. Alaska is absolutely stunning! If you want to see pics and a review of the trip here is a link to the review I posted on CC afterwards. It will give you a good overview of the scenery/ports including Seattle. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2404561

When I said "city" in reference to Sitka, it is certainly not a city in the same sense as NY [or Boston or Chicago or even Des Moines for that matter haha]. It very much feels like a small town but "regular" in the sense that there were normal people going about their day. No Diamonds International at all and very few of the $5 t-shirt shops you find in cruise ports. St. Michael's [the Russian church] has green domes rather than gold but there is the classic onion shape! There are lovely local-owned shops with crafts and the like as well as the "Alaska Pure Sea-salt" store with local made salts [these make great gifts and are reasonably priced. The blueberry-infused salt is quite special]. Sitka just seemed a place geared towards the "traveller" rather than just the "tourist" if you get the picture I'm trying to portray. HAL and Princess are the two main players in the Alaska market and Princess no longer calls at Sitka [our taxi driver told us it was because they refused to let the line build a bigger, more modern port facility but who really knows].

Thank you so much for that link to your report, which I will certainly check out some time during this weekend. I have been working long hours the last few days, but will have time to enjoy tomorrow or Sunday. I appreciate what you're saying about Sitka for the traveller and not the tourist. Hubby and I tend to seek out the places less frequented by tourists, which I think is one of the reasons we are drawn to Sitka. If we go we will definitely try the salts!

It's ironic about Princess and Sitka. I really REALLY wanted to do a Princess cruise for Alaska, but when I searched for cruises that did both GB and Sitka, the only one that came up was HAL. Then I stumbled upon itinerary #2 and even though it didn't have Sitka, the prices were better on HAL than the Princess prices, and so I converted. So even if we don't actually visit Sitka this trip, the trip will end up being all about the Sitka. ;);)

I am going in June this year on Eurodam. I too had a hard time making up my mind as to your option #1 or option #2. I wound up choosing 1. Couple of determining factors. Wanted Alaska for our anniversary, had to have Glacier Bay. DW wants Buchart Gardens. We both want to spend time in Seattle post cruise to see Chihuly glass gardens, museum of pop culture and Pike's Place. Some other determining factors included finding reasonable priced airfare and an acceptable hotel that was available on our dates. I would have liked to go to Skagway, but like other posters have stated, maybe there will be a next time.

Sounds like your decision was perfect for you, so I'm really happy for you and your choice. DH and I have nothing in Victoria or Seattle that calls us, so it's a little harder. Can't wait to read about your experience on Eurodam!

The main reason I have chosen the Vancouver inside passage is the stunning scenery and the calmer waters. The Nieuw Amsterdam is also a little newer. Vancouver is a beautiful setting.

Thank you for your opinion! Yes i saw that the N.A. was a little newer, but I'm not sure which would have had the most recent updates?! And I appreciate your addressing that part of the question!

I voted #2 for 2 reasons. 1, itinerary is better with the inside passage and #2 I like the Nieuw Amsterdam better than the Eurodam. Nothing wrong with the Eurodam I just prefer the decor of the Niew Amsterdam vs. Eurodam.

The more I think about it, the more I am drawn to the inside passage. Thanks for answering the part of my question comparing the ships. I know they are sisters, but I didn't know the difference between the 2, if any. I wouldn't base my decision on this if we were strongly leaning toward one itinerary or the other, but if all else is equal, it could be a reasonable tie-breaker.

Thank you! I'm only 50 but he gives me a run for my money...and I love it! lol

We noticed our cruise in the "top 10" Best deals of the week on the HAL homepage.

These cruises are only for 2017 sailings so it wouldn't show your dates until next year.

I don't think this will be our only Alaska trip. We really want to see Denali someday but with work restraints that will have to be a retirement trip.

This "work" thing is really getting in the way of our bucket list. lol;)

Yes, we...well, right now at least I...really want to see Denali someday too. But yup, same...when...IF...we retire.

The difference between the outside and inside route should not be underestimated... not only is the Inside Passage more beautiful, but many of my clients have been disappointed to find the voyage from Seattle is on open ocean and can be very rough. So your family's tolerance for rough seas should be taken into consideration

I have been on rough seas before without too much trouble, but I suspect "rough" Caribbean and "rough" Pacific Ocean aren't necessarily equal! I'm gathering you are a TA? Is there a difference between port and starboard on the inside passage?

I'm not a ta but what I noted about our upcoming inside passage itinerary is that we directly backtrack coming south where we cruised going north, so technically it evens out... except that the time of day differs... but I think that will even out as well. There is something scenic on both sides all the way through the Johnstone Strait, so I consider that a wash. I think crossing Queen Charlotte Sound is a wash as well, doing it the morning of a sea day northbound, and the afternoon of a sea day southbound. And I think the same is true about passing through the Hecate Strait, an afternoon northbound and a morning southbound. Can anyone shed any light on whether my guessing about when we pass through each portion is correct?

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Was in the same predicament, we are new to HAL & Alaska and wanted something for part of our 30th anniversary celebrations, we looked at everything available and the Nieuw Amsterdam round trip won the battle on price and itinerary, so we just booked for August 2018.

Just got to book flights, train from Vancouver to Toronto and Niagria falls, already booked the ship home Cunard QM2 from NY to Southampton. :)

Hope you have a great time..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Jason12

OP, I think you will enjoy the NA. We will be on her again soon. So I can see what she looks like now. I agree not to underestimate the calmer waters and scenery.

BUU. I think you are right in that it doesn't make a lot of difference with an up and back itinerary. This time we are going to Seward and then overland and back from Skagway.

Jason 12 just want you to be aware that it is a very long train ride from Vancouver to Toronto! Several days! And a lot of it is through vast prairies and rock. I did it as a young teen. Whereas a flight is nearly 5 hours.

Jason 12 just want you to be aware that it is a very long train ride from Vancouver to Toronto! Several days! And a lot of it is through vast prairies and rock. I did it as a young teen. Whereas a flight is nearly 5 hours.

Yes it's 3 days four nights, we are having a sleeper cabin, all food is included so I'm happy to sit and watch the world go by :)

Thanks for the heads up tho[emoji106]

Edited by Jason12

I'm not a ta but what I noted about our upcoming inside passage itinerary is that we directly backtrack coming south where we cruised going north, so technically it evens out... except that the time of day differs... but I think that will even out as well. There is something scenic on both sides all the way through the Johnstone Strait, so I consider that a wash. I think crossing Queen Charlotte Sound is a wash as well, doing it the morning of a sea day northbound, and the afternoon of a sea day southbound. And I think the same is true about passing through the Hecate Strait, an afternoon northbound and a morning southbound. Can anyone shed any light on whether my guessing about when we pass through each portion is correct?

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Don't know specifically about the straits and sounds and such, but I did a search of the Alaska board about starboard vs. port for the inside passage and found an overwhelming consensus that it doesn't matter. Enjoy your cruise!

Was in the same predicament, we are new to HAL & Alaska and wanted something for part of our 30th anniversary celebrations, we looked at everything available and the Nieuw Amsterdam round trip won the battle on price and itinerary, so we just booked for August 2018.

Just got to book flights, train from Vancouver to Toronto and Niagria falls, already booked the ship home Cunard QM2 from NY to Southampton. :)

Hope you have a great time..

Oh, wow, what a journey!! Have a marvelous trip and a happy healthy 30th!

Thank you so much to all who voted and took the time to offer thoughtful suggestions and opinions.

We have decided to go ahead and book itinerary #2 on NA round trip from Vancouver. Woohoo! We couldnt be more excited!! Time to start thinking seriously about excursions!

:D:hearteyes::*

We have decided to go ahead and book itinerary #2 on NA round trip from Vancouver. Woohoo! We couldnt be more excited!! Time to start thinking seriously about excursions!

:D:hearteyes::*

Excellent choice (and I'm not saying that because that's the one I recommended). Hope you have a grand time.

Truly, I made my first "only" cruise to Alaska many years ago. Since then there have been seven more, plus a land tour, and a couple of weeks tooting around the state on my own.

Don't think you won't want to go back.

Excellent choice (and I'm not saying that because that's the one I recommended). Hope you have a grand time.

Truly, I made my first "only" cruise to Alaska many years ago. Since then there have been seven more, plus a land tour, and a couple of weeks tooting around the state on my own.

Don't think you won't want to go back.

Thank You! I imagine we will fall in love, and dream of going back! I just know we want to visit many other places before we do go back.

I actually can't think of anyone I know who has been to Alaska who has said "meh, it was ok."

I'm more than slightly concerned my son might decide to stay...