Theft/Zenith

cntrydncr1

My sister just returned from the Zenith yesterday. Both she and her friend who was in a cabin next to her had many things stolen from their suitcases when disembarking. She had a bottle of booze taken, an open bottle of perfume, a costume ring, and several of those "$10" watches they sell onboard. As I told her, those are things you should carry but she said they had to go through everything in the suitcase just to get at these items.

In addition she was not really happy to go to Cozumel where there wasn't a leaf on a tree anywhere! Oh, and she said it was so rough for about 30 hours you didnt want to be topside at all. Not the best cruise ever!

I'm sorry about your sisters things, it could be Celebritys fault or it could have happened after the bags were off the ship.

Wasn't there a tropical depression out there, Gamma? I'm not really sure of its location. Regarding Cozumel, it wouldn't really matter to me whether or not there were any trees, the people there need you to go to their stores and spend a few tourist dollars, they need the cruise ships in there and if anyone is going to be disappointed when they get there they should really rethink their plans or rebook their cruise. I am going to Cozumel in January, I'm sure it will be better at that time. But I don;t know what your sister expected, the area was just devestated by a terrible storm.

Does travel insurance cover stolen items?

I'm sure the fact that your sister had things stolen from her luggage put a sour taste in her mouth, but I must admit, your comment: "In addition she was not really happy to go to Cozumel where there wasn't a leaf on a tree anywhere!" shocked me. As the last poster mentioned, Cozumel was just about demolished by the Wilma. I'm sure the people of this beautiful island miss the leaves too, but I'm sure they are more impacted by the fact that many have lost their livelihood, their homes, and possesions, and wish it was just a matter as the leaves on the trees.

I may be a bit more sensitive to this issue since my daughter lives in Key West. After the hurricane she came back to find 4-5 feet of water in her bedroom. She lost almost all her clothes, and so much more. She has a friend who works in a bar. A tourist came in and said: "Hey I thought you just had a hurricane, where are all the dead bodies"? The bartender said: "You might want to ask the guy sitting over there. He just lost EVERYTHING he has!"

I'm saying this to say: We need to be sensitive to the emotions and recovery of the people in the areas we are cruising to that have been hit. Cruise Lines pick destinations that are a little piece of paradise so we have wonderful on shore experiences. Yes, our cruises will be impacted for a while. In fact I am going on the Zenith on December 8th. I really do hope we stop in Cozumel. Yes, I will miss the beauty of the area, however I hope my vacation dollars will help the people come back from their terrible losses of this season.

I use tie-wraps and keep the extras in an outside pocket of each suitcase. I also keep a pair of fingernail clippers in the pocket to remove the wraps (these are checked bags). If anyone takes the wraps off I will know it. Also, if I get off the ship and my suitcases don't have them anymore, I'll know before I go through customs and can address it then with the cruiseline. You can get tie-wraps at any hardware store or home improvement place.

having things taken from your suitcase can be a real bummer. We have always been lucky, 20 cruises, never had anything taken, but it happens. We did, one time leave our cowboy hats on the cruise bus. we had them for western night, let the cruise line know within a few minutes, but never got them back. Our daughter left a suitcase on the curb after disembarkation once, same thing, never saw it again. As for Cozumel, well I am shocked they are up and running. Your sister wasn't happy about stopping there, everyone else was griping because the ships were not stopping there. Guess you can't please all the people all the time. NMnita

I use tie-wraps and keep the extras in an outside pocket of each suitcase. I also keep a pair of fingernail clippers in the pocket to remove the wraps (these are checked bags). If anyone takes the wraps off I will know it. Also, if I get off the ship and my suitcases don't have them anymore, I'll know before I go through customs and can address it then with the cruiseline. You can get tie-wraps at any hardware store or home improvement place.

I go one better - I use the Neon tywraps - much harder to "replace" and available from Home Depot.

If you have Cruise Insurance - and or homeowners insurance you may be able to file a claim that way

Frankly I think she was not smart to place this type of item in her suitcase at all so even though I'm her sister I didn't have too much sympathy for that.

I think I would not have been happy visiting Cozumel this early after the hurricane either. I do have sympathy for them but my charity money would first go to the Katrina victims. I'm not cruising just to put money into the Mexican economy. The Zenith originally was scheduled to go to Grand Cayman and Jamaica but about 2 months ago (prior to the hurricane) had the itinerary changed to include Cozumel. So I guess if you think that you should have been in Grand Cayman and ended up in a torn up country that might be a little disappointing. Personally I know she picked the cruise for the itinerary so she wasn't happy that it had been changed at all!

She should be locking her luggage.

Did those items disappear while the cruise line had it, or when it went through airport security? Either way, a rotten way to end a vacation.

Regarding Cozumel, Wilma survivors need help you and that can best be done by putting money in their pocket by spending money on their island. I will help them rebuild and keep in mind more Americans go to Cozumel for vacations than do Mexicans.

If she didn't like the look of the island, she could have enjoyed a nice day on an empty ship.

We just returned from the 11/10 Constellation. My friend had $350 cash in his pants pocket. He'll tell you I demanded the pants on the last night so I could pack them, ps he was wearing them. That's another story, as it turned out we flew back from San Juan through St Thomas there were only 20 people on the plane from St Thomas to LaGuardia. It did not take long to realize the luggage did not make the trip, (it was checked straight thru in San Juan). US Air at Laguardia took the information (always save those luggage receipts) from me and said the luggage would be delivered to my house the following day. Sure enough, 10:40 I get a call from their driver that he is on his way. I opened the suit case, I knew it had not been opened,and there in the pants pocket was the cash.

Lesson one don't leave money in your pockets.

Lesson two let him pack his own things.

Lesson three it was kinda nice leaving the airport without lugging the luggage.

My sister just returned from the Zenith yesterday. Both she and her friend who was in a cabin next to her had many things stolen from their suitcases when disembarking. She had a bottle of booze taken, an open bottle of perfume, a costume ring, and several of those "$10" watches they sell onboard. As I told her, those are things you should carry but she said they had to go through everything in the suitcase just to get at these items.

In addition she was not really happy to go to Cozumel where there wasn't a leaf on a tree anywhere! Oh, and she said it was so rough for about 30 hours you didnt want to be topside at all. Not the best cruise ever!

Did they take a flight out that day without checking their suitcases? It may have happened at the airport. Hubby has always said never have anything of value in your suitcase.

I know I had a sterling silver brooch pinned to my formal night dress in my hangup bag going to one cruise. when I took the dress out the pin was gone. Now I think I paid $40 for the brooch so it was not expensive but I still hated losing it.

Hubby works for an airline and he says this is common in airports-locking your luggage does no good either-somehow they get into the luggage.

One thing thoug I would like to ask-does Zenith allow you to do self assist departure? If you take your stuff off-at least it would be safe for that part of the journey.

I always put on those cheap luggage locks. At least they keep the honest man honest. If security wants to get in they are more than welcome to cut them, no big loss there.

I use cable ties. Have about the same effects as the cheap locks but are a little less expensive to replace.

I for one, would be happy to revisit Cozumel, leaves or no leaves!! Those people have worked incredibly hard to get their island back up and ready to visit in such short order. Where else, after being buffeted by hurricane force winds for 40 hours would be able to welcome visitors so soon? They have sacrificed working on their own homes in order that the public "tourist areas" would be ready for visitors. They put on special "welcome back" celebrations for the first cruise ships back to the island. When you visit their island, you should not think of "putting money into the Mexican economy" but rather helping those who have lost a lot!! And, unfortunately many of them didn't have much before the storm and are in worse shape now. Please have some compassion.... and for those of you who have Cozumel on your itinerary (lucky you!!). The work goes on to restore Cozumel. It will be better than ever! AND, in a tropical situation leaves grow real fast! :) Enoy yourself!!!

having things taken from your suitcase can be a real bummer. We have always been lucky, 20 cruises, never had anything taken, but it happens. We did, one time leave our cowboy hats on the cruise bus. we had them for western night, let the cruise line know within a few minutes, but never got them back. Our daughter left a suitcase on the curb after disembarkation once, same thing, never saw it again. As for Cozumel, well I am shocked they are up and running. Your sister wasn't happy about stopping there, everyone else was griping because the ships were not stopping there. Guess you can't please all the people all the time. NMnita

I just got an email from DD who reads CC, she reminded me, she did get the suitcase back. It was delivered about 3 days after we retuned from San Juan and our cruise. Guess my old age is showing. LOL

I for one, would be happy to revisit Cozumel, leaves or no leaves!! Those people have worked incredibly hard to get their island back up and ready to visit in such short order. Where else, after being buffeted by hurricane force winds for 40 hours would be able to welcome visitors so soon? They have sacrificed working on their own homes in order that the public "tourist areas" would be ready for visitors. They put on special "welcome back" celebrations for the first cruise ships back to the island. When you visit their island, you should not think of "putting money into the Mexican economy" but rather helping those who have lost a lot!! And, unfortunately many of them didn't have much before the storm and are in worse shape now. Please have some compassion.... and for those of you who have Cozumel on your itinerary (lucky you!!). The work goes on to restore Cozumel. It will be better than ever! AND, in a tropical situation leaves grow real fast! :) Enoy yourself!!!

Well said, Cozumel happens to be one of my favorite stops. I am more than happy to put some money back into their economy. I will love it, leaves or no leaves.

Archived