Is carnival for teens?

Abby Collins

We are trying to decide between Carnival and Royal Caribbean for our 2nd cruise, and I'm in charge of researching which cruise line is better. I know that Royal Caribbean is better for teens, but what quality does carnival have for teens in case my mom who's in charge of the operations says no?

DS has been cruising since he was a toddler, we mostly cruise CCL but have cruised on RCCL and NCL. He is 14 now and chooses CCL every year for our Christmas cruise (and CCL for any other time of year). He/we always have a blast, he never has an issue finding new friends and we all keep very busy (if that is what we choose to do).

So, if you were to ask my 14 year old seasoned cruiser, he will tell you CCL for sure! Matter of personal opinion...

We are trying to decide between Carnival and Royal Caribbean for our 2nd cruise

It would help if you had more information like the # of days, itinerary and maybe 2 specific ships you had in mind.

Both cruise lines have smaller, medium and larger ships and that makes a comparison easier. Both cruise lines have activities for teens.

It would help if you had more information like the # of days, itinerary and maybe 2 specific ships you had in mind.

Both cruise lines have smaller, medium and larger ships and that makes a comparison easier. Both cruise lines have activities for teens.

Maybe I can update once we know the date we can go... but I will look into the ships when I have the time.

What age range are the teens? The teen clubs I think are pretty cool my 13 and 16 year olds like to go. The clubs are mostly used as "hang out" spots with good music and comfy places to sit. They offer events and activities but it has been my experience that the clubs are always packed especially at night.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I truly think its what you make of it. This is a CCL page and the RCCL page would push them. I have sailed both. I think alot of it plays on the group of kids along with you.. which I think is also reflective on time of year, length of cruise and just plain manners. Our kids have had a great time on both cruise lines and both programs are good. The newer ships certainly have more room and updated areas that make a difference.

I agree with others that it can vary cruise to cruise and that the programs are probably pretty similar in general but if say you specifically have a child who is banana's for rock climbing, or ice skates daily or who you can't keep off a boggie board etc....well then RCL might be a better fit then Carnival but short of those specific types of activities I say its a wash.....

Having cruised both, my teens chose carnival this time, they both missed the water slides and the 24 hour pizza and ice cream....they love cruising, but I think the vibe is better for teens than rcci. 58 days until magic!

First - opinions are like armpits...we all have them and they all stink!;p So please take what I say as my opinion and nothing more.

I did one cruise in the late 90's with RCI and the attitude of the crew put me off from cruising. If you read enough reviews, you will see that I am not alone and as a general rule, one of the things that people, when comparing to CCL find, is that they prefer the crew on Carnival - they are happy, smiling and helpful, as opposed to a bit surly and just there to do their job. I also was not impressed with the food. And when I did cruise, again, with CCL in early 2007, enjoyed the food much more and continue to do so.

The comparison reviews also consistently say that RCI has much better shows (the larger the ship the more true) and I would believe that. But we, including the kids, prefer the comedy club (CCL does multiple family shows) to more traditional shows.

The bottom line for us has always come down to price and size. We just don't want the ship to be the destination; we cruise for our balcony and for being in different ports to explore and the mega ships with their high price tag and more bells and whistles just aren't necessary for us to have a great vacation, so we have repeatedly chosen Carnival. Every time I have priced RCI they aren't even in the ballpark for the peak times we must travel with the kids.

My kids particularly like the ships with the sports square; they are now 13 and almost 19 (with 10 plus cruises under their belts), and these are great places to hang out with other kids. The have ropes course, waterpark, giant chess, ping ping, foosball, shuffleboard, basketball, games, putt-putt etc. Yes, it is not a flow rider or an ice skating ring, but I think even if offered, they would prefer this giant open air deck space. My kids have learned how to meet friends and to self-entertain and are just happy to be traveling.

So look at Sunshine, Magic etc....

Been cruising on CCL with our two teens since 2013. They love it. Started in Circle C (12 - 14) and then went up to Club O2 (15 - 17). They always made friends the first day and had a blast for the entire cruise. Plus there are also activities planned each night in both clubs if they choose to do that.

My teens beg to go on Carnival cruises every spring break. They always have a blast. The sports deck, entertainment and comedy shows, the lido deck dancing and fun, crew members, and friends they meet have provided them with lifetime memories. There is so much for them to do that my husband and I have lots of time to ourselves on the ship. Highly suggest Carnival for teens!

We are trying to decide between Carnival and Royal Caribbean for our 2nd cruise, and I'm in charge of researching which cruise line is better. I know that Royal Caribbean is better for teens, but what quality does carnival have for teens in case my mom who's in charge of the operations says no?

I dont know what they do with teens but I know whatever it is got my kid out the cabin at about 0700 every morning and he normally came back after midnight. So whatever it was he enjoyed it.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

We've been on Oasis and the Breeze (CCL's largest at the time).......

I think for teens, there is MUCH more to do on the new Carnival ships, ie; Breeze, Magic, Dream, Vista and Sunshine.

They have Sports Square, where there is a ropes course, mini golf, basketball, etc.

Waterworks with the slide and splash area (fun for adults too:o):'):')

Breeze has the 4D Theater which is great.

Vista has the first IMAX theater at sea.

The list goes on..........

I don't think you can go wrong with either line, so long as you pick one of the newer mega-ships. Both of them have a large number of things for teens to do. Which probably depends on what your teens like to do. My DD (13) prefers RCCL, particularly the Oasis class ships, and finds the most things to do on here, but she has a lot of fun on Carnival as well.

:) take 'em on Carnival. I am Currently on one of their ships (Fantasy) and was riding the elevator with a family about to depart in Mobile. Their daughter ( around 16) looked downcast. She asked me if I was back to back and I said yes. (she had seen me in the library with the other B2Bs). Her reply tells it all: If I could have just one more cruise on Carnival my life would be perfect.

Elevator doors open. Your call....:)

My teens love Carnival. We've done other lines, but they prefer Carnival. The atmosphere is 'fun' - and teens love fun. My kids have done 10 cruises, 8 have been on Carnival. We have one more Carnival booked this summer, then RCCL for Christmas break. We would have booked Carnival if the itinerary had fit our schedule.

I don't think you could go wrong with either cruise line. I have been on both and loved all my cruises. If your kids like or would like to try "surfing", RCI do have flow rider, and rock climbing and ice skating (on certain ships). But other than that they have similar stuff like mini golf, sports court, ping pong......