NCL versus RCCL

biojeep

We have cruised with NCL multiple times & have been very pleased but we now considering RCCL Serenade of Seas for Canada cruise out of Boston. Would like to hear comments of likes & dislikes from people who have cruised both cruise lines?

NCL offers the same cruise on the Gem but it is out of NYC. Not too thrilled about dealing with the hassles of transportation in NYC. Hopefully some have cruised both ships & can give us some info for a comparison.

I have sailed on RCCL 5 times and NCL once and going on another NCL cruise next year. We sailed out of NY on the NCL Breakaway. In my small sampling size, I prefer the layout of the RCCL ships. Just easier to navigate. In my opinion, food and entertainment are very similar. I think RCCL has more activities for people on the ship than NCL. I'm more about the ports so go with the best one. If the ports are the same, I would probably lean to RCCL. We did not have a vehicle in NY but I did not find it bad taking a cab to the Manhattan port while we stayed in Manhattan. I much preferred doing that versus taking the long ride to New Jersey to hop on a RCCL ship. I have not been on either Serenade or the GEM, so don't know which ship could be better.

We have sailed a total of 43 days on 4 Royal Caribbean cruises and 45 days on 4 Norwegian cruises. You cannot compare big ships against smaller ships because they offer a completely different experience. For big ships the Oasis Class Royal Caribbean ships are superior to the Epic. They have many more venues and better facilities. For example the Oasis has 21 pools and hot tubs for 6000+ guests (including 4 main swimming pools) while the Epic has 12 pools and hot tubs (including 2 main swimming pools) for 4000+ guests. Food is similar but there are more complementary restaurant choices on the Epic.

The Pearl and the Star are our favorite NCL ships while the Serenade is our favorite RCI ship. In this sized ships, the nod goes to Norwegian. We prefer the food, entertainment, and customer service.

These are just our opinions and I imagine there are many folks that see it differently. Please remember the Hindoo fable:

THE BLIND MEN AND THEELEPHANT

It was six men of Indostan,to learning much inclined.

Who went to see the Elephant, though allof them were blind.

That each by observation might satisfy his mind.

The First approachedthe Elephant, and happening to fall

against his broad and sturdy side, and at oncebegan to bawl.

"God bless me!—but the Elephant Is verylike a wall!"

The Second,feeling of the tusk, Cried "Ho!—what have wehere

So very round and smooth and sharp, To me 't ismighty clear.

This wonder of an Elephant Is very like a spear!"

The Third approachedthe animal and happening to take.

The squirming trunk within his hands, Thus boldlyup and spake.

"I see," quoth he,"the Elephant Is very like a snake!"

The Fourth reachedout his eager hand and felt about the knee.

"What most this wondrous beast is like Ismighty plain," quoth he;

" 'T'is clear enough the Elephant Is verylike a tree!"

The Fifth,who chanced to touch the ear, said: "E'en the blindest man

Can tell what this resembles most, deny the fact who can,

This marvel of an Elephant Is very like a fan!"

The Sixth nosooner had begun about the beast to grope,

Than, seizing on the swinging tail that fell within his scope,

"I see," quoth he, "the Elephant is very like a rope!"

And so these men of Indostandisputed loud and long,

Each in his own opinion exceeding stiff and strong,

Though each was partly in the right and all were in the wrong!

We prefer NCL for the entertainment.

If you are concerned about transportation in NYC, if you can take the train, you can walk to the pier or a taxi. Driving to the port is very easy as well as you don't get into Manhattan, just drive along the shore line.

Have sailed RCCL and NCL. RCCL is bit more traditional -- you can have the same table and waitstaff every night in the MDR. Personally, I find the service to be a bit better on RCCL. Of course, you generally pay a bit more for RCCL, and they don't offer the "Free at Sea" perks that NCL does.

I've only been on Breakaway on NCL but have been on several RC ships, so I really can't compare. However I will say if you feel the trip would be easier to start in Boston, then take Serenade. That class of ship is very nice and you can try something different to see if you like it.

We've cruised both lines many times and been happy every time. When we were cruising with teens we leaned towards Royal. Now that we're a retired couple we lean towards NCL. We have no use for flow riders and rock climbing walls these days but we appreciate a lower fare with some good perks thrown in.

We prefer NCL for the entertainment.

If you are concerned about transportation in NYC, if you can take the train, you can walk to the pier or a taxi. Driving to the port is very easy as well as you don't get into Manhattan, just drive along the shore line.

Is this from Penn Station?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

NCL lies!! took the infamous 33 day cruise ( really a float) on the Star and floundered throughout the cruised. Missed half(+/-) of the ports. Disabled at sea after leaving Melbourne and had to be towed by 3 tugs back to Melbourne. Issue was only one of the 2 azzipods functioned and we could not make the speed between ports. We were told so many excuses and 'conflicting information" (being polite ). Even the VP NCL flew in was useless. NCL knew the ship was compromised for months but continued to sell the vacations. Passengers fled the ship in Carnes and in Melbourne. As we did too. Never made it to New Zealand. Senior staff and front desk never gave us the same answers and did so rudely.

Corporate offices were non-responsive. Never Again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We took the Gem out of NYC for the New England cruise and stayed up near Columbus Circle / Central Park in a friend's apartment. We walked to the port, but we also only had our carry on rolling bags and backpacks, so we weren't dealing with a lot of luggage. I think it was about a mile, and the weather was very pleasant. Walking from Penn Station to the port is a bit farther but you could take a taxi or uber. There are a couple of hotels closer to the port that people use to walk to the port, but be prepared: NYC hotel prices can be high.

We took the Gem out of NYC for the New England cruise and stayed up near Columbus Circle / Central Park in a friend's apartment. We walked to the port, but we also only had our carry on rolling bags and backpacks, so we weren't dealing with a lot of luggage. I think it was about a mile, and the weather was very pleasant. Walking from Penn Station to the port is a bit farther but you could take a taxi or uber. There are a couple of hotels closer to the port that people use to walk to the port, but be prepared: NYC hotel prices can be high.

we live in pa and we're hoping to avoid bringing our car so we were thinking the train may be best...it's only a 1 1/2 hr train ride for us so probably won't get a hotel

we live in pa and we're hoping to avoid bringing our car so we were thinking the train may be best...it's only a 1 1/2 hr train ride for us so probably won't get a hotel

We did Amtrak from Philly to NYC to leave on the Breakaway the same day. Very convenient, cost effective, reliable, clean, and safe.

We took the first AMTRAK train out of D.C. (3:30 AM) to Penn Station. Enjoyed the trip. The train was clean, quiet and arrived on time. It was also considerably cheaper than flying and having to get downtown. We took a cab to the port. Would gladly repeat the experience.