Wonderful Copenhagen 2017 edition.

You're right--the Cabinn Metro is not close to attractions such as Tivoli, Nyhavn, Stroget, or Rosenborg Palace. The public transportation in Copenhagen is very good, so there's likely to be a way for you to get into "touristy" Copenhagen from that hotel, but wouldn't you rather just be able to walk?

For a budget-friendly hotel that's within walking distance of the afore-mentioned sights, look at the Wakeup Hotel Borgegade. We stayed there a couple years ago and were able to walk to these tourist sites. It's also close to bus and Metro lines so we used public transportation to get from the airport to this hotel and from the hotel to Oceankaj.

It is reassuring to see that my hotel wakeup Borgegade is fairly centrally located. I was concerned about getting to the port on sail day. Do the buses run on Sunday? Would it be better to make my way to the airport and then pay to take the ships shuttle or a taxi?

Any tours anyone can recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is reassuring to see that my hotel wakeup Borgegade is fairly centrally located. I was concerned about getting to the port on sail day. Do the buses run on Sunday? Would it be better to make my way to the airport and then pay to take the ships shuttle or a taxi?

We loved our Free Walking Tour. It hit almost all the main spots of Copenhagen and gave us ideas of where we wanted to go on later days. We used the hop on hop off to get us to the sites that were a bit far for walking for later days. Public transportation in Copenhagen was good, but it is something of a slog from the bus stop to Ocean Kaj. We used a flat rate taxi. It might have been slightly cheaper to go metered, but there's always a risk of the meter running in a traffic jam.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

That is very simple, get on bus 26 towards Færge terminal Søndre Frihavn from either Trommesalen, the central station (Vesterbrogade stop) or town hall square.

Here you continue to Østerport station and either take bus 25 from the Folke Bernadottes Allè bus stop at Østerport or the Østerport station bus stop for bus 27.

Very useful information.

We loved our Free Walking Tour. It hit almost all the main spots of Copenhagen and gave us ideas of where we wanted to go on later days. We used the hop on hop off to get us to the sites that were a bit far for walking for later days. Public transportation in Copenhagen was good, but it is something of a slog from the bus stop to Ocean Kaj. We used a flat rate taxi. It might have been slightly cheaper to go metered, but there's always a risk of the meter running in a traffic jam.

How do you get a flat rate taxi?

The free walking tour sounds like a great idea.

Thank you,

Gwen

The easiest way is to take the 26 bus from your hotel to Østerport and then change to bus 25 or 27 from Østerport to Oceankaj.

Just use the bus stop that are called Østerport station and not the one next to the station called Folke Bernadottes Allé, Østerport comes after that.

Then you take either bus 25 or 27 to Østerport and then take bus 26 towards Ålholm Plads and get off at Kongens Nytorv.

Or if you are on bus 25 then continue to Nørreport and change to any eastbound metro (Lufthavnen or Vestamager) and get off at Kongens Nytorv.

But the metro can get crowded at rush hour, just so you know.

So the latest "forecast" for the waiting time at the airport has arrived when the new passport procedure starts.

For departing passengers it can be around 30 minutes at rush hour and 1 hour for arriving passengers.

From the new year arriving passengers should have the same waiting time.

The reason is that as told before that the EU has decided that every passport (both EU citizens and others) will have their passports checked in a computer and that takes 15-20 seconds for each passport.

For now this wasn't required for EU citizens so the change is that its now for all and all airports hasn't got enough time to prepare this but I'm guessing politicians don't care. :mad:

The airport will add more automatic passport scanners and build out the areas where the checks take place but it will all be ready in stages until 2019.

The total price for this is around 700 million kroner or a little bit more than 100 million us dollars.

The first Improvements will happen this year for arriving passengers as they get the same waiting time as the departing ones.

And the police has or will hire around 100 civilians to help but they need training first.

So my hope is that this runs more smoothly when the cruise season starts next year but just be prepared when entering any EU airport.

They already started i Amsterdam before the summer and the stories has been many and most of them horrific.

Then you take either bus 25 or 27 to Østerport and then take bus 26 towards Ålholm Plads and get off at Kongens Nytorv.

Or if you are on bus 25 then continue to Nørreport and change to any eastbound metro (Lufthavnen or Vestamager) and get off at Kongens Nytorv.

But the metro can get crowded at rush hour, just so you know.

Thank you Danish viking - one other question - do we need cash ( if so, how much for the round trip ) or can we use credit cards?

eclue:D

Thank you Danish viking - one other question - do we need cash ( if so, how much for the round trip ) or can we use credit cards?

eclue:D

I don´t think you can buy a roundtrip ticket from the town shop but they accept credit cards.

Else you can buy a single ticket at the ticket machines at the train or metro stations when going back.

The bus driver only accept cash or Rejsekort.

I would like to know the best way to get from the port to the Nyhavn area if you don't want to take a train or bus. There is no way we want to drag out luggage all over the place on trains and buses?

Then why ask if you already knows the answer to your question :D

So the latest "forecast" for the waiting time at the airport has arrived when the new passport procedure starts.

For departing passengers it can be around 30 minutes at rush hour and 1 hour for arriving passengers.

From the new year arriving passengers should have the same waiting time.

The reason is that as told before that the EU has decided that every passport (both EU citizens and others) will have their passports checked in a computer and that takes 15-20 seconds for each passport.

For now this wasn't required for EU citizens so the change is that its now for all and all airports hasn't got enough time to prepare this but I'm guessing politicians don't care. :mad:

The airport will add more automatic passport scanners and build out the areas where the checks take place but it will all be ready in stages until 2019.

The total price for this is around 700 million kroner or a little bit more than 100 million us dollars.

The first Improvements will happen this year for arriving passengers as they get the same waiting time as the departing ones.

And the police has or will hire around 100 civilians to help but they need training first.

So my hope is that this runs more smoothly when the cruise season starts next year but just be prepared when entering any EU airport.

They already started i Amsterdam before the summer and the stories has been many and most of them horrific.

I apologize for being newer to the thread. This wait time you are referring to is a wait for what exactly? Having our passport scanned coming into and leaving the country? Does having Global entry help or is that just when entering the US

We talked about it early er k the thread.

The situation now is that only non EU citizens get checked, for europeans they just look at your passport to see if the picture match the person.

The new rules are that they run your passport through a register to see if you are wanted by the police, not paying your taxes, have a fake passport etc etc.

It's this procedure that takes 15-20 seconds for each passport.

Of the 29 million passengers annually about 8 million travels to or from the EU and the Schengen countries (Norway, Iceland etc) so its that amount of passports that needs to be checked.

So if you have a layover in Amsterdam, Paris, Frankfurt etc on your way home (or to CPH) you first have to do the passport check in these airport so also allow time for that at these airports.

I don't know what global entry is so It's probably only something you have over the pond

So to specific, its all airports in the EU and Schengen area so its the same situation in Stockholm, Zürich, Paris etc etc.

London and the other British airports has always been outside of the Schengen area but it doesn't matter now with Brexit so now they are entirely out of EU.

Then why ask if you already knows the answer to your question :D

I don't know the answer, I would like to know if there are taxis available at the cruise terminal? Or if there is a shuttle service I can contact to get from the cruise terminal to hotels in the Copenhagen area? Thank you?

I don't know the answer, I would like to know if there are taxis available at the cruise terminal? Or if there is a shuttle service I can contact to get from the cruise terminal to hotels in the Copenhagen area? Thank you?

Norwegian offered shuttle service to Central Station. I imagine other Cruise lines do as well.

We talked about it early er k the thread.

The situation now is that only non EU citizens get checked, for europeans they just look at your passport to see if the picture match the person.

The new rules are that they run your passport through a register to see if you are wanted by the police, not paying your taxes, have a fake passport etc etc.

It's this procedure that takes 15-20 seconds for each passport.

Of the 29 million passengers annually about 8 million travels to or from the EU and the Schengen countries (Norway, Iceland etc) so its that amount of passports that needs to be checked.

So if you have a layover in Amsterdam, Paris, Frankfurt etc on your way home (or to CPH) you first have to do the passport check in these airport so also allow time for that at these airports.

I don't know what global entry is so It's probably only something you have over the pond

Thank you for taking the time to explain. In the US we are told to arrive at the airport 3 hours before an international flight. Would that be the correct time frame when flying out of Copenhagen? I am less concerned about arrival. I am flying in the day before our cruise so if we have a long wait we will just deal with it.

I also think that 3 hours is recommended here but until now it has been more a case of the airport wanting you to spend time and money in the airport. :D

But lets see, the police says that is scare mongering from the press and that they are ready.

They say it will take longer time but not hours as some media has announced.

They have 4 extra booths (or what its called) ready for departing passengers when it starts and 4 extra for arriving passengers by the new year.

There are also the automatic passport scanners but they are only for EU/Schengen citizens over 18 years old.

But I will report back after next Saturday so you guys can see what the initial responses are from police, airport and passengers.

I will try to sort out the tabloid news unavoidable scare stories.

London and the other British airports has always been outside of the Schengen area but it doesn't matter now with Brexit so now they are entirely out of EU.

Not yet we aren't! Still have, at least, 18 months of membership left.

These checks kind of make a mockery of the Schengen agreement. That was supposed to bring free movement without the requirement to check IDs (I believe the intention is to be "Passport-free" travel), so the EU starting to backtrack on that one.