Can you bring Pineapples back on the ship from Hawaii?

LMHSRN

We've brought other fruit onboard to eat-mango, papaya, rambutan.

Issue is.... once onboard what will you do with it?

Whole pineapple is a PITA to cut even with the proper tools. You will not be able to bring it ashore with you do to AG rules.

The pineapple onboard and is very good. An old vacation trick...buy the 'gold' pineapples in your local market as souvenirs for friends.

OTOH, you might be able to buy a case of pineapple packaged, AG approved and shipped directly to your home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can have the pineapple farm ship them to your home at a very reasonable price too. Word of caution though, dont send them to your house if there's no one there because they will get there before you get back from your cruise. they ship fast. like in a couple to just a few days. send them to a family member or neighbor to hold for you in a cool place till you get home.

Why would you want to lug them around with you? The very same pineapples are sold in your local supermarket for less than it costs to buy them in Hawaii.

While I would not wish to lug a pineapple around while cruising, nor to cut it up on the ship, if you have never tasted a pineapple that has ripened on the plant, and then picked, you don't know how different they are from the ones picked green and shipped to your supermarket. Filet mignon to pot roast comparison.

We've brought other fruit onboard to eat-mango, papaya, rambutan.

Issue is.... once onboard what will you do with it?

Whole pineapple is a PITA to cut even with the proper tools. You will not be able to bring it ashore with you do to AG rules.

The pineapple onboard and is very good. An old vacation trick...buy the 'gold' pineapples in your local market as souvenirs for friends.

OTOH, you might be able to buy a case of pineapple packaged, AG approved and shipped directly to your home.

While someone can get away with bring fresh produce on board, one is not supposed to bring fresh produce on board nor take fresh produce off the ship.

While someone can get away with bring fresh produce on board, one is not supposed to bring fresh produce on board nor take fresh produce off the ship.

Never seen a posting, sign or admonishment at any port or ship paper. Only have seen one sign for not bringing food back onboard, that was Astoria, OR. Ship security has tossed many things but has always allowed food onboard.

Cannot bring fresh produce or flowers off at port. Though I did witness a gal bringing off a rose in Long Beach. It was allowed off after CBP throughly inspected it for bugs. Looked a bit sad after that.

Why would you want to lug them around with you? The very same pineapples are sold in your local supermarket for less than it costs to buy them in Hawaii.

Never seen a posting, sign or admonishment at any port or ship paper. Only have seen one sign for not bringing food back onboard, that was Astoria, OR. Ship security has tossed many things but has always allowed food onboard.

Cannot bring fresh produce or flowers off at port. Though I did witness a gal bringing off a rose in Long Beach. It was allowed off after CBP throughly inspected it for bugs. Looked a bit sad after that.

I see it posted every time I get off and on a ship

Also per the carnival rules under prohibited items :

Food Items must be pre-packaged and unopened; homemade items or pre-cooked foods will not be permitted onboard.

So unless someone has a fresh picked pineapple that was packaged its not gonna make it back on the boat