Rome Transportation

Johnas50

I can recommend http://nccplus.it used them a lot for transfers and tours and will be using them three times next month. They offer private and shared shuttles.

Also good are:

http://www.rome-chauffeur.com

https://www.romashuttleairport.it

I've used both of these as well.

You could also sign up for your roll call and see if people are wanting to share shuttles or set one up yourself. The more people the cheaper it gets :)

Bobs Limos and Romecabs are also worth a look, we have used both several times and found the service excellent. Not as cheap as public transport, but we are usually in a family group with lots of luggage so prefer a private minivan.

Another vote for Bob's limo's. They were waiting for us on arrival at FCO with a sign. Car was immaculate and the driver was very professional and polite.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Forums mobile app

The most economic method is to simply use the trains (we do talk about this on the Italy Port of Call board). But trai s have their issues when you have lots of luggage...or if you have mobility issues. Arranging for private transfers (we like Romecabs) is another option and will usually cost about the same as using a taxi. And while on the subject you can always use taxis. But where a private car/driver or taxi might cost you 100€ or more...using trains will cost a fraction of that amount.

There are two types of trains between FCO and Rome. The Leonardo Express is the nicest option..but also the most expensive (about 14€ one way) to get to Rome...with the slower regional trains somewhat less in cost. If you want to go from FCO to the Port by train...there is no need to go all the way into Rome's main Termini station since you could take the regional train to the closer Trastevere Station and change to the regional train heading to Civitavecchia. The fare for this should be no more than 10€ (we do not know current exact fare).

Hank

There is also a regular bus service from FCO to Termini in Central Rome. It's not the quickest option, but its cheap and reliable, set up for tourists with luggage :D

Then train to Civitavecchia , and a bus transfer to the cruise port or a taxi (in theory walkable. Theory being the operative word...)

But that assuming you are stopping over in Rome. If you're just wanting to get from Airport to Port get a private transfer. It will seem pricier, but reading others experiences, and looking for next year (having done the public transport option) it seems much less hassle, even if the taxi driver can drive like a Mario Kart character on acid...

Agree! In a perfect world where money is no object we would always opt for a private car (preferably a Rolls Royce) driven by a uniformed driver who speaks English. :D But alas, many here on CC do seem to have budgets.

Hank

Any tips for economic transport from Rome airport to downtown and from downtown to cruise port?

Thanks from Canada!

We have room for two on a private tour. We can put our heads together with the driver and go where we want. They will stay with us. We are an older foursome in our 70's. For more information contact me at Chptravlr at aol dot com.

Judee

Another vote for Bob's limo's. They were waiting for us on arrival at FCO with a sign. Car was immaculate and the driver was very professional and polite.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Forums mobile app

I have no shame in saying that dragging my luggage over uneven sidewalks or up or down stairs would have been a terrible struggle for me, as well as the need to watch my luggage on the train. We used Bob's Limos and agree with the above poster. We used them at other ports too and never had a moments worry because of them. If you go to your roll call, you'll probably be able to join others in sharing it. There were five of us and we considered it very reasonable....and reliable. They offer a discount with multiple transfers (I believe 4). We used them for FCO to the hotel in Rome, Rome to the ship, ship back to Rome post-cruise and finally from the hotel in Rome back to FCO.

• 2 weeks later...
You can also get a lot of information regarding port information in the "Ports of Call" section. Check under the "Europe" tab, then select the area of interest. A vast amount of information is available there. Good luck.

Indeed.