Lanyards- good idea?

Pinster56

For those who have done the Free at Sea unlimited open bar: my question is, do they give you a plastic credit card–sized card for the charges? The reason I ask is I am wondering if it might be a good idea to bring from home lanyards with card holders . I have a bunch of them. We plan to use those cards a lot, LOL!

You get a ship card when you check in. This is your room key and your payment method for everything on board.

So everyone on the ship has one, not just those with the ubp.

Lanyards are a good idea, but sometimes a pain getting it in and out of you are using the card regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I always use a lanyard and my DH sometimes goes along with it as he usually keeps his card at the ready in his pocket. SInce we usually frequent the same bar they know us and after awhile we no longer need to show our card. I am amazed at how quickly they recognize faces and names. When my DD and I cruise had on Carnival both wear a lanyards with card sleeves that seal at top. We had our cards punched once and decided it did not work for us.

I've cruised with and without lanyards and there were times when I had it and didn't use it and there were times when I had NO pockets and wished I'd had one. They take up such little space that I would bring them and if you use them great, if not no worries.

I made lanyards with a small snap only for our next cruise due to the UBP (usually hubby carries a card since I don't have pockets and he can charge to our room). Planning on punching a hole in the card and attaching it to the snap for easy removal to scan. Too much trouble to dig it out of a pouch.

I made lanyards with a small snap only for our next cruise due to the UBP (usually hubby carries a card since I don't have pockets and he can charge to our room). Planning on punching a hole in the card and attaching it to the snap for easy removal to scan. Too much trouble to dig it out of a pouch.

Careful doing this. We tried this with our copier scan cards at school and it ruined the scanning strip and voided the card.

Not 100% sure what kind of "scan" cruise cards require but could be something to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not sure if the ship cards are still using magnetic strips on the back or if they have advanced to RFID tappable feature.

For the magnetic strip ones, I'd punch a hole far away from the strip and attach the card to a kind of lanyard with a detachable feature between the card's attachment clip and the main lanyard. This way I can unclip the card clip from the lanyard and let the ship staff swipe the card's magnetic strip on their machines. Since the hole is punched away from the magnetic strip, the card clip won't get in the way for swiping.

My husband and I use lanyards on all of our cruises. We prefer that our cards have a hole in them so that we can attach them to a clip at the end of the lanyard instead of in a clear pouch. We found that it's a hassle to constantly take the card in and out of the pouch and that the pouches sometimes break. While I am walking around the ship, I often wear clothes with no pockets and don't ever carry a purse around the ship.

I'm a lanyard fan. The one I use has a removable plastic pouch and loop with a detachable clip. On the ship, I use the loop and clip through a hole I have punched by guest services. When I order a drink or need to use my card at a specialty restaurant, I can unclip and hand the card over. For port days, I use the plastic pouch to hold both my ship card and my passport card. Best of both worlds :)