Disembarked June 24 Regal Princess, can I make it to 8:30am SAS flight?

hello everyone, I'm going to take Regal Princess Scandinavia & Russia cruise from June 24-July 5, 2017. I have booked my flight at 8:35am to Iceland with SAS. I am getting nervous afterward for not able to make it. I did some homework, I'm planing to be firstfew people walk off the ship to catch a taxi straight to the airport. I think I should be ok since at 5am that day this is the only ship docking, and early morning shouldn't be bad traffic but I need to hear from some people who had first hand experience recently. Can anyone went to this cruise lately share some experience of disembarking? Did the ship dock on time? Can you walk off right away? Were there plenty of taxi to grab? Any information is greatly appreciated because I'm going to drive myself crazy here. :p Thank you everyone for sharing.

Dong

What time ere you off the ship.

Count on 30 minutes in taxi to the airport and probably also around 30 minutes (45 if you are very unlucky) to drop of your luggage and get through security.

And depending on if its pier B (most likely) or pier A and if its the start or end of the pier you have around 5-15 minutes walk from the security screening.

But luckily Iceland is part of the nordic union so even though you are travelling outside Europe you don´t have to get to pier C and do the passport control so that saves you some time.

So all in all you probably want to be at the airport (and thats terminal 3 if the driver ask) no later than 07:15 so if you can leave the ship and be at the taxi line around 06:30 (you can´t count on getting on the first available taxi so I´ll add 15 minutes) then you should be fine.

Count on 30 minutes in taxi to the airport and probably also around 30 minutes (45 if you are very unlucky) to drop of your luggage and get through security.

And depending on if its pier B (most likely) or pier A and if its the start or end of the pier you have around 5-15 minutes walk from the security screening.

But luckily Iceland is part of the nordic union so even though you are travelling outside Europe you don´t have to get to pier C and do the passport control so that saves you some time.

So all in all you probably want to be at the airport (and thats terminal 3 if the driver ask) no later than 07:15 so if you can leave the ship and be at the taxi line around 06:30 (you can´t count on getting on the first available taxi so I´ll add 15 minutes) then you should be fine.

If you need to be at the taxi line around 6:30, you'll need to leave your cabin around 6:10 AM. (By the end of the cruise, you'll likely know distances and time to do administrative things like exit the ship so my estimate may be a generous amount of time. However, it's more important that you make your flight than you have 5-10 extra minutes in your cabin.)

The luggage will not be off-loaded that early. You will need to be in charge of taking your own luggage off the ship with you.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

THANK YOU SO MUCH Danish Viking! I've seen some of your posts before and they were amazing. I was really hoping that you can see my post and help out. Th see your post first thing in the morning brights up my day! I was so stressed yesterday when I was trying to book excursion in Reykjavik because I kept asking myself what if I miss my flight? Phew 😅 I feel much better now.

I'm planning get off the ship as early as I can, even thinking line up at the gate before it's open😂 That way I'll be the front of the taxi line. Do you know if the ship often running late? If they are on time I've seen people say you can get off in like 15 min, is this correct?

I won't have any bags to drop, we pack light, will be only carry on, so maybe save few minutes there.

It's a mother and daughter trip and she's 10. Here's a silly question, do I need to worry about the taxi driver will take us to nowhere and throw us out? I mean basically should I worry about the safety?

I really appreciate your help!

If you need to be at the taxi line around 6:30, you'll need to leave your cabin around 6:10 AM. (By the end of the cruise, you'll likely know distances and time to do administrative things like exit the ship so my estimate may be a generous amount of time. However, it's more important that you make your flight than you have 5-10 extra minutes in your cabin.)

The luggage will not be off-loaded that early. You will need to be in charge of taking your own luggage off the ship with you.

Thank you for the help Pet Not Noy! It helps! We won't have any big suitcase, will be just carry on, so it should be ok on that.

Dong

I'm planning get off the ship as early as I can, even thinking line up at the gate before it's open😂 That way I'll be the front of the taxi line.

You might want to consider pre-booking a taxi for extra safety and not have to worry about being first in the taxi line?

You might want to consider pre-booking a taxi for extra safety and not have to worry about being first in the taxi line?

Thank you for replying! Do you have any referral of taxi company? Will they charge extra for prebooking? How much will it normally cost for the ride at that time of the day? Excuse my many questions.

Thank you for replying! Do you have any referral of taxi company? Will they

charge extra for prebooking? How much will it normally cost for the ride at that time of the day? Excuse

my many questions.

I don't know but Danish Viking should be able to answer your questions.

This is a very risky time for a flight. The Regal docks at 5am, but then has to clear customs and do all of their various tasks like setting up the gangway, card scanners, etc. If there are any unforeseen delays in docking, such as fog (which happened to an NCL ship returning to Copenhagen last summer), medical emergency, etc. your actual time of walking off the ship could be delayed as well. Then you are at the mercy of the taxi wait times and how many other passengers jumped ship as early as possible.

We are docking at 7am in Copenhagen in July (and the Regal docks before us at 5am on the same morning) so the earliest flight I would even consider is after 12pm. I actually decided that we will stay overnight in Copenhagen and fly home the next day to avoid any stress at the end of our cruise. But if you are determined to make your early morning flight, just be sure to keep track of ship announcements that morning regarding actual disembarkation time and be at the front of the line to walk off the ship. I don't know if you can prebook taxi's there, Danish Viking would know.

Are you booking tours in Reykjavik for the same day as disembarkation ? Stress tolerance level differs with individual. There are many variables in this scenario. If you decide to take the 8.35 am flight, hope you can make it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is a very risky time for a flight. The Regal docks at 5am, but then has to clear customs and do all of their various tasks like setting up the gangway, card scanners, etc. If there are any unforeseen delays in docking, such as fog (which happened to an NCL ship returning to Copenhagen last summer), medical emergency, etc. your actual time of walking off the ship could be delayed as well. Then you are at the mercy of the taxi wait times and how many other passengers jumped ship as early as possible.

We are docking at 7am in Copenhagen in July (and the Regal docks before us at 5am on the same morning) so the earliest flight I would even consider is after 12pm. I actually decided that we will stay overnight in Copenhagen and fly home the next day to avoid any stress at the end of our cruise. But if you are determined to make your early morning flight, just be sure to keep track of ship announcements that morning regarding actual disembarkation time and be at the front of the line to walk off the ship. I don't know if you can prebook taxi's there, Danish Viking would know.

Thank you for taking your time to reply. Yes I will ask guest service for all the questions before hand and getting ready to be the first few people walk off the ship.

I thought about to leave the same flight for the next day like you did, except it's $500 more for each of us. I did some homework, it feels like possibly I can make it. Now I'm wondering what will happen if I really miss the flight?

Are you booking tours in Reykjavik for the same day as disembarkation ? Stress tolerance level differs with individual. There are many variables in this scenario. If you decide to take the 8.35 am flight, hope you can make it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes I was stressed about it yesterday. All I need to book in Reykjavik is the blue lagoon. I will just put it at the end of the day so it should be ok. I just found out in July their sunset is 11:45pm!

Icelandair and Iceland Express (i think they are called) have later departures the same day and is most likely cheaper.

I have checked it. Somehow the Expedia won't give the option. My only better option is the next day.

danish Viking, do you have any referral for the taxi that I can book? So it'll be ready for me. Or is it necessary to do so? I assume there'll be lots of taxi on any cruise docking and this will be the same. What do you think?

You will be safe in any licensed taxi, and I don't think they will let any unlicensed taxis in the port of Copenhagen (there are other cities where you should be concerned, since unscrupulous taxis do tend to congregate where tourists are and rip them off).

I'd also agree with the previous poster who mentioned getting trip insurance, since they will help with the costs if you aren't able to make your flight.

We would be worried more about getting a taxi (without a long wait) then the honestly of the driver (we have never had any problems with Copenhagen taxi drivers). In your situation we would probably book a private transfer (which could be a taxi). The last thing you need is to rush off the ship and find yourself in a taxi queue...wasting valuable time. And not to tramp on Danish Viking, but last year when we disembarked from the Zuiderdam (in Copenhagen) it was a complete zoo because there were 3 ships. And the drive out to the airport took around 45 min...because of the morning traffic.

Hank

I have checked it. Somehow the Expedia won't give the option. My only better option is the next day.

danish Viking, do you have any referral for the taxi that I can book? So it'll be ready for me. Or is it necessary to do so? I assume there'll be lots of taxi on any cruise docking and this will be the same. What do you think?

Not all airlines, especially low cost ones, show up on Expedia. You need to check directly with the individual airline websites to determine available flights as well as to book.