Carnival MDR food quality going down?

funkidd

I took the the ship tour on the new Horizon and went down to the storage areas for all the meats and fresh vegtables.  It was amazing how they have it broken down to each day.  Of course the meat is frozen, how could it not be, but it is kept very cold while it defrosts.  The kitchens are set up to cook, not warm up.  I am sure there are some things they take on frozen and warm up for meals, restaurants do that too.  Thing is you have choices, and you will find certain foods in the buffet and the dining room on the same day, but that isn't bad.  I have never had a bad meal on Carnival, and like others say, you get what you pay for.  I am taking a Viking river cruise and am paying a whole lot more for it than I have any other Carnival cruise.  They do a good job for what you pay.  If people think the dining room is to fancy perhaps they should remember they are on a cruise, not a boat ride through the bayou.   Carnival is not fancy, it is appropriate dining for the adventure you are on.  But then some people never leave the bar so why would they care anyway.

5 hours ago, TYinPalmSprings said:

The frozen dessert was on RCCL. I was on the LIberty of the Seas. Every piece of red  meat on that ship was dry, and had the taste of previously frozen meat. I thought something was fishy when they could not properly prepare a steak medium-rare. It came out gray, or still cold (like part frozen cold, or well done. I was clued in, later in the cruise, by a food service manager, certain foods I should avoid.  Surprisingly, I sailed on the Carnival Freedom just a few months later, and was delighted with not only the meats, but with the desserts, and quality of the food overall. I was delightfully surprised. I have been cruising since 1976, over 30 cruises, and have watched as the nature of cruising has changed. Overall, it is still a great  value for the money.

I believe you.  I wasn't impressed with RCCL's food in 2014, it sounds like things have gone from bad to worse.  I was on Celebrity 2 weeks ago, Holland America 5 months ago, and neither had these issues.

The truth is, Carnival's food is sufficient for 90%+ of their customers. Food snobs who are bored with their life constantly feel the need to tell the world that better food exists. Everyone knows where all of the gourmet restaurants are on land, but it's often overkill. 

I haven't time to read all the pages of comments so this may have already been said but I'm looking forward to my first cruise and the food.  Simply because I didn't have to prepare it.  This is why when my husband says let's get a bite to eat out and asks me where I say anywhere (I mean I don't care if it's Taco Bell)cause I didn't have to make it.  Food that is just satisfactory to some is wonderful to me.  It's all relative.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Crazy4Camping said:

I haven't time to read all the pages of comments so this may have already been said but I'm looking forward to my first cruise and the food.  Simply because I didn't have to prepare it.  This is why when my husband says let's get a bite to eat out and asks me where I say anywhere (I mean I don't care if it's Taco Bell)cause I didn't have to make it.  Food that is just satisfactory to some is wonderful to me.  It's all relative.

The food is good and yes you dont got to cook and there is NO CHARGE as it is included , except for specialty dining.  The food is good and the selection is good.  Maybe some of us have just gotten use to it and our memorys arent as clear as it once was.  And remember this, if you are in the dining room and you try something 'different', and you dont like it the waiter will get you something else with a smile.  Lido is good and the place to go when you just want real casual.  Enjoy the food, enjoy the boat and if you really like chocolate , try the chocolate melted cake and you will have  a dose of chocolate like no other.  And there is no meal planning or cooking or dishes.  Oh and look for the seaday brunch!

I think since the table cloths in the dining room disappeared, except for elegant nights, the dining room experience has gone downhill and the food just doesn't look as nice anymore. Not special anymore. So maybe we just think things aren't as nice ...

• Like 1

On 11/13/2018 at 8:14 AM, Joebucks said:

The truth is, Carnival's food is sufficient for 90%+ of their customers. Food snobs who are bored with their life constantly feel the need to tell the world that better food exists. Everyone knows where all of the gourmet restaurants are on land, but it's often overkill. 

Word.

On 5/5/2017 at 8:48 AM, billfish said:

Food is OK. What has really happened is the lack of service is awful. They have a captive customers. Service does not exist. I feel bad for the MDR staff they are way under staffed. Any restaurant on shore would go under quick with the level of service on Carnival

This has never been our experience BUT we always have late fixed seating. 

Perhaps there's a better chance of an extra cash tip with fixed seating where the folks are with you every night?

Edited by summersigh