Verizon WiFi Calling - any experience with reliability?

I'll be on a cruise in June and need to stay in touch w/ family members at home. I've been using Verizon WiFi calling on my iphone for about 6 months ago with great success in avoiding roaming charges when I've traveled internationally. I know in order to use WiFi calling on the ship, I'll need to purchase an internet package and I have two questions:

1) Normally I'd just consider purchasing the "surf" package because I'm not streaming videos, using facetime, etc, but I'm wondering if I should up the package to surf & stream anyway due to increased bandwidth available? Does this even matter for wifi calling?

2) Has any had experience with WiFi callng on any of the older ships? Has it been reliable and clear? I know the ships all have "Voom" now but I don't think that service is as fast as it could be on the older ships. I've read a few comments that are too over my head to relay, but there have been comments that the underlying service is older on the older ships and therefore VOOM, while it's improved internet connectivity, it isn't as good on the older ships as on the newer ships.

We're sailing on Enchantment (first time on such a small ship!) and wondering if anyone has experience with wifi calling on an older ship.

Thanks in advance for your help!

1) Normally I'd just consider purchasing the "surf" package because I'm not streaming videos, using facetime, etc, but I'm wondering if I should up the package to surf & stream anyway due to increased bandwidth available? Does this even matter for wifi calling?

No, not really. The .5Mbps limitation of Surf is plenty for a voice all. The bigger issue on older ships without O3B internet is lag (high latency) - call quality might not be as good as on newer ships and upgrading to Stream is unlikely to fix that.