March 2018 Quest cruises - where have they gone?

cheznick

As an update, we kept our November reservations to Cuba Influenced by the fact we would be free to go ashore as we wished. Oh dear today I read on the BBC News site (and no political judgement please on why or why not) that it's expected MrT is going to rescind some of the previous administrations arrangements and wants more restrictions put back in place.

Watching this space as a Cuba intensive could be our worst nightmare if restrictions come back in - watching fly direct Brits move around unrestricted from our restricted vantage point. Anyway time will tell....

(bold is mine) That was never the case. Because the ship departs from the US, everyone (US or not) is supposed to be visiting under the US rules, those 12 categories for shoreside activities. Nobody is clear about how strictly they would be enforced (and by whom), but there were rules in place all along.

Rumored changes could be anything. Trump may not make any changes, or he may shut down travel drastically, leaving the cruise lines scrambling to change itineraries. What will happen depends as much on his political needs as his feelings/opinions about Cuba. If he needs to check something off his "to do list," this might be the one he chooses.

CNN reported that Trump is to reveal new policy for Cuba next Friday.

So all we can do is wait and see. I'm sure the cruise lines are watching closely. They put a lot of work into rearranging itineraries and don't want to go through that, or put passengers through that, again.

We're fortunate in that we can take the train to Florida to pick up this cruise. If it changes and we decide to accept the replacement itinerary, we can rearrange our travel to the cruise. I do feel sorry for people who have already had to make changes, and may have to change yet again.

(bold is mine) That was never the case. Because the ship departs from the US, everyone (US or not) is supposed to be visiting under the US rules, those 12 categories for shoreside activities. Nobody is clear about how strictly they would be enforced (and by whom), but there were rules in place all along.

Rumored changes could be anything. Trump may not make any changes, or he may shut down travel drastically, leaving the cruise lines scrambling to change itineraries. What will happen depends as much on his political needs as his feelings/opinions about Cuba. If he needs to check something off his "to do list," this might be the one he chooses.

Actually I have it in writing that you can make independent arrangements or maybe that is could now 😬

Actually I have it in writing that you can make independent arrangements or maybe that is could now 😬

In writing from Azamara? I hope they got it right. Under current rules passengers may go off the ship on their own and/or make independent arrangements, but all activities are required to fit into those 12 categories. You are supposed to fill out an affidavit specifying what activities you took part in to show that you were operating with an accepted category. As I said earlier, I don't know how strictly it's being enforced, but those are the regulations.

You can find the information for the rules on the State Dept site.

President Trump is coming here this Friday to Miami to announce his new policies on Cuba. The Cubans helped him win our state. Winning Florida is a big deal in elections. Plus Rubio has been spending A LOT of time with Mr. Trump & he is Cuban. The Cubans do not like Obamas policies.. I have a feeling some of the rules are going to change. Why else would he come to South Florida and announce his changes in our Cuban community area of town with Rubio by his side? I think and I could be wrong it is going to have something to do with flights. We shall all see on Friday.

Kathy