Long lines at BCN passport control

We arrived in BCN in October 2016 and was stunned at the "line". I have "line" in quotes because there was none just hoards of people coming down the escalator and just shuffling willy nilly. People were cutting in, pushing et. We waited 2 hours before we reached the 2 manned kiosks. It does put a very sour taste in my mouth. Hopefully this will change.

Sorry to say it is very true.. We flew into BCN on July 1 of last year from MIA and spent 3 hours in line. There were separate lines for EU and the rest of us. The EU line moved very well, while we just stood there. Just about everyone we met on our cruise that left July 3 said the same thing. Also our private driver told us it had been going on for some time. Lets hope they end this nonsense and we can all be happier.

Sadly, this is something we experience every time we fly into a USA airport - we've spent over 2 hours queuing at passport control. Twice, we've even missed transit flights going on to other cities because of the ridiculous delays - in Chicago and Atlanta. The airport staff are also very surly and quite rude.

Sadly, this is something we experience every time we fly into a USA airport - we've spent over 2 hours queuing at passport control. Twice, we've even missed transit flights going on to other cities because of the ridiculous delays - in Chicago and Atlanta. The airport staff are also very surly and quite rude.

Yes, very sad. Two wrongs don't make a right. Sounds like we have a lot of work to do here. We have Global Entry so we can bypass the lines when we return. Not a good thing for visitors to see as they enter the US.. Hope that changes also.

I am transferring through Rome to Barcelona from Boston. Do I have to go through passport control in Rome and Barcelona? I only have two hour layover. It is with same airline- Alitalia. Thank you for any help,

I am transferring through Rome to Barcelona from Boston. Do I have to go through passport control in Rome and Barcelona? I only have two hour layover. It is with same airline- Alitalia. Thank you for any help,

Probably not. Both EU and their flights should be just as domestic here. Hope this is the right answer.

Probably not. Both EU and their flights should be just as domestic here. Hope this is the right answer.
Thanks RJB, you are indeed correct -you're crossing an "internal" border, since both countries are, for now, members of the Schengen Area- but the above comparison should not be assimilated because it creates a false notion.

On a generic note...

The EU is not a country and doesn't function as such, it's 28 countries. There's no political union. Period. So any flight between them is INTERNATIONAL and all the rules apply. So it happens that some of those countries have an "agreement" -the so-called Schengen Area- to relax some of these rules... but this is still crossing an international border, with all that entails.

These rules can have variations from time to time and from country to country -as seen recently for example in Slovenia and Greece, among other- and the number of countries belonging to this "area" (this agreement) can also vary over time. But it's important to be aware that there is no "common law" in the EU as each country is sovereign. The EU Parliament does not pass laws but directives and these are then "transposed" into the code of laws of each country, but each country does it its own way, adapting it to its Constitution (or National Codex). Thus, the spirit of the directive remains but the result (the details) doesn't necessarily have to be the same in each one. Aside from different Constitutions, EU countries do also have bilateral agreements with third-parties outside the EU (f.e. former colonies) so its national legislation, while it cannot contradict EU's directives, it might establish a different relationship with the citizens of that third-party. An example is VISA requirements for non-EU citizens... it varies depending of your nationality and the EU country you intend to visit. In fact, it's only EU citizens that fully enjoy the principle of "freedom of movement within the EU".

Sorry for the technicalities, but it's important for you all across the pond to understand that... because it has nothing similar with crossing a state line in the US and failing to do so might land you in trouble.

FAQ on Schengen: http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-16-4427_en.htm

Current situation: http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEX-17-910_en.htm

How will it likely evolve in the next months: http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-17-1147_en.htm

Edited by EnricM

Thanks RJB, you are indeed correct -you're crossing an "internal" border, since both countries are, for now, members of the Schengen Area- but the above comparison should not be assimilated because it creates a false notion.

On a generic note...

The EU is not a country and doesn't function as such, it's 28 countries. There's no political union. Period. So any flight between them is INTERNATIONAL and all the rules apply. So it happens that some of those countries have an "agreement" -the so-called Schengen Area- to relax some of these rules... but this is still crossing an international border, with all that entails.

These rules can have variations from time to time and from country to country -as seen recently for example in Slovenia and Greece, among other- and the number of countries belonging to this "area" (this agreement) can also vary over time. But it's important to be aware that there is no "common law" in the EU as each country is sovereign. The EU Parliament does not pass laws but directives and these are then "transposed" into the code of laws of each country, but each country does it its own way, adapting it to its Constitution (or National Codex). Thus, the spirit of the directive remains but the result (the details) doesn't necessarily have to be the same in each one. Aside from different Constitutions, EU countries do also have bilateral agreements with third-parties outside the EU (f.e. former colonies) so its national legislation, while it cannot contradict EU's directives, it might establish a different relationship with the citizens of that third-party. An example is VISA requirements for non-EU citizens... it varies depending of your nationality and the EU country you intend to visit. In fact, it's only EU citizens that fully enjoy the principle of "freedom of movement within the EU".

Sorry for the technicalities, but it's important for you all across the pond to understand that... because it has nothing similar with crossing a state line in the US and failing to do so might land you in trouble.

FAQ on Schengen: http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-16-4427_en.htm

Current situation: http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEX-17-910_en.htm

How will it likely evolve in the next months: http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-17-1147_en.htm

Thanks for all this good info. I will have to go back and read it few more times as it is really above my pay grade. All I want to do is visit these wonderful places as a tourist and not get involved in the politics. Again, thanks...:):):)

Ah, sorry if my post came out as if I wanted to talk politics... not my intent at all -not now at least.

I was just trying to give a brief overview of how Europe works because sometimes unsuspected visitors from elsewhere that don't grasp the complexity of this union --there is nothing similar working anywhere else in the world, and boy, it has its very good points but also its share of misery and surrealist situations-- get into hot waters for assuming things that aren't so. One area which seems to be confusing for some visiting several countries is the VISA requirements, and also why procedures can be "varied" in different countries, all within Europe.

So, just in case, my advice is always... treat each visit you make to different countries in Europe as if it was a new "international trip", therefore check the VISA requirements, documents you need to bring with you, insurance requirements... and so on and so forth. Even the currency! (as you know not all EU uses Euro). Most of the time they'll be exactly the same (or pretty much the same), then you can laugh at yourself for being so cautious, but when they're not, you'll thank yourself for having checked!

Enjoy!

Ah, sorry if my post came out as if I wanted to talk politics... not my intent at all -not now at least.

I was just trying to give a brief overview of how Europe works because sometimes unsuspected visitors from elsewhere that don't grasp the complexity of this union --there is nothing similar working anywhere else in the world, and boy, it has its very good points but also its share of misery and surrealist situations-- get into hot waters for assuming things that aren't so. One area which seems to be confusing for some visiting several countries is the VISA requirements, and also why procedures can be "varied" in different countries, all within Europe.

So, just in case, my advice is always... treat each visit you make to different countries in Europe as if it was a new "international trip", therefore check the VISA requirements, documents you need to bring with you, insurance requirements... and so on and so forth. Even the currency! (as you know not all EU uses Euro). Most of the time they'll be exactly the same (or pretty much the same), then you can laugh at yourself for being so cautious, but when they're not, you'll thank yourself for having checked!

Enjoy!

Not at all. I did not take it that way at all. Just that you wanted to give us an overview of the politics involved, not your opinion. After reading your post a few times it has come in very handy to understand. Good job. :):):)

We came into Barcelona last Saturday May 7 and it took 2 hours to get through immigration. Coming back yesterday, they wouldn't let us go through immigration until 45 minutes before the flight and then there was a long line going through immigration in Barcelona. So our flight was delayed one hour. Almost the entire plane missed their connection. The line in Philadelphia for customs was extremely long wrapping around the entire baggage claim area but luckily only took 20 minutes but still everyone had missed their connection. I spoke to someone from Barcelona who said there were new procedures which had to be worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We came into Barcelona last Saturday May 7 and it took 2 hours to get through immigration. Coming back yesterday, they wouldn't let us go through immigration until 45 minutes before the flight and then there was a long line going through immigration in Barcelona. So our flight was delayed one hour. Almost the entire plane missed their connection. The line in Philadelphia for customs was extremely long wrapping around the entire baggage claim area but luckily only took 20 minutes but still everyone had missed their connection. I spoke to someone from Barcelona who said there were new procedures which had to be worked out.

Can someone explain how it works when you are leaving Barcelona to return to the US. Are there separate lines for those with a known traveler number like the US or does everyone line up in the same line?

Something very strange going on in Barcelona. Never had a problem leaving the country, just getting thru immigration on arrival. They seem to be going going crazy over there. For what purpose I do not know.

No politics are allowed into this forum, so I won't go into details... suffice to say this is a struggle of power between governments, the Spanish one on one side (in charge of border controls, thus the staffing of the Police at the checkpoints at the airports) and the Catalan on the other side (the government of Catalonia, which capital is Barcelona) and this is due to an independence referendum to be held later this year... simply google on this, you'll get all the details. "Curiously" this problem is not happening at other airports outside Catalonia, some of which are as busy as the one in Barcelona (namely Madrid or Palma de Mallorca)

I had booked wheelchair assistance and got straight through though there was a big line. The wait was for our bags. We waited an hour! [emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The delays don 't seem to be inevitable. DS flew to Barcelona last Thursday and returned yesterday afternoon. I asked him about his experience at the airport and he said there were no problems in either direction.

The delays don 't seem to be inevitable. DS flew to Barcelona last Thursday and returned yesterday afternoon. I asked him about his experience at the airport and he said there were no problems in either direction.

Were these flights from and back to the U.K. Think the lines are different from E.U. than the rest of the world. Am I right??

Just curious if this might help. We flew Lufthansa last October from SFO to Frankfurt (international flight) before catching our connecting flight to Barcelona. (domestic flight) At Frankfurt, we went to passport control. took about a half hour but there were lots of agents processing everyone through passport control. They stamped our passports and we made our way to our connecting domestic flight on Lufthansa. Once we were in Barcelona, there was no passport line for us, we were on a "domestic" flight, and we just grabbed our bags and exited the secured area. Perhaps that might be a way to avoid the long lines in Barcelona?

We flew BCN to LAS via London on Sunday, what a nightmare! [emoji15] Easily 200 in taxi line at cruise terminal. 40 min wait for check in, security wasn't to bad about 15 min, then came immigration! We spent about 90 min in line and people kept trying to cut in line screaming they were going to miss their flight. It was really a free for all. I was yelling at people trying to cut in front of us just as we reached the booth. This was for the D/E gates.... where once your in the gate area you have few choices for food so there is more lines to stand in. Of course Heathrow requires everyone to go thru security again even if connecting. It was a long frustrating day!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have just landed in Bcn and European passport holders went straight through passport control.The queue was for non euro holders and it was horrendous

Landing and waiting at BCN is ok as we will go to our hotel and relax with an adult beverage and a bite to eat before resting and beginning the fun portion of our trip. Leaving BCN is the part I am concerned about though we will be there at least three to three and one-half hours ahead of flight departure.

I have just landed in Bcn and European passport holders went straight through passport control.The queue was for non euro holders and it was horrendous

Too bad. We were told in previous posts that things would get better for non euro passport holders. Guess not. Time to re think traveling thru BCN or going there at all. Life is too short for this nonsense.

This is no difference to Europeans arriving in USA, Chicago O'Hare is nearly always like this, Newark NJ is not much better.

The lines for Aliens are rarely fast often 2 hours/ 90 mins. I have twice been close to missing connecting flights onward from Newark/ O'Hare ,despite having 3 hours between arrival and on going flight.