Castaway cay plans for grandchildren

true45

What would you plan to do with your granddaughters age 9 and almost 6? I know they will play in the sand and by the shore for a time.

We tried to get a cabana for the shade for our July sailing but no luck.

Not athletic really (but we are ok) and close to 70 yrs old ourselves, we don't want to deprive the girls of a good time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Linda

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A cabana is NOT necessary for a good time. In fact, they are a relatively new addition to the island. We did at least a dozen CC stops before the cabanas existed. There are plenty of beach chairs and hammocks with umbrellas, so you'll have plenty of shade.

Fun for kids--swimming, snorkeling (let them practice in a local pool first to get comfortable). You can bring your own equipment or rent it at the island. If you are up for it, you can rent bikes and take a ride around the public spaces on the island. Floats and/or inner tubes are fun in the water and low cost. There are also lots of activities that most people don't pay attention to--there is music by the food areas, a game pavilion, crab races (don't laugh, they are a hoot!). In addition, the kid programming is open on the island with activities for them there. If you want to pay for an excursion, the stingray experience can be fun....and they can do things like ride in a glass bottom boat. Reality, we usually do the ocean and I like to snorkel. We aren't into the CC excursions.

A cabana is NOT necessary for a good time. In fact' date=' they are a relatively new addition to the island. We did at least a dozen CC stops before the cabanas existed. There are plenty of beach chairs and hammocks with umbrellas, so you'll have plenty of shade.

Fun for kids--swimming, snorkeling (let them practice in a local pool first to get comfortable). You can bring your own equipment or rent it at the island. If you are up for it, you can rent bikes and take a ride around the public spaces on the island. Floats and/or inner tubes are fun in the water and low cost. There are also lots of activities that most people don't pay attention to--there is music by the food areas, a game pavilion, crab races (don't laugh, they are a hoot!). In addition, the kid programming is open on the island with activities for them there. If you want to pay for an excursion, the stingray experience can be fun....and they can do things like ride in a glass bottom boat. Reality, we usually do the ocean and I like to snorkel. We aren't into the CC excursions.[/quote']

Thanks for info

Actually crab races sound like fun

They loved the pig race here in Florida.

Thanks for info

Actually crab races sound like fun

They loved the pig race here in Florida.

I believe DCL had stopped doing the crab races. It was reported last November that there's a new environmentalist on the island and the decision was made to stop the races.

Ok we won't look for anything organized with the crabs. Maybe we'll see some hanging around free. [emoji41]

Any info about what activities the counselors may do with the kids? And how close by we need to be. Don't want to be a helicopter granny.[emoji907][emoji905]

Thanks

Linda

You won't be allowed into the secure programming area with the kid and your wave phone will work all over the island. So as long as you have the phone with you, you can be anywhere on the ship or island that you choose. There is "water play" with sprinklers and such in the programming but the kids don't get near the ocean. They do have some character visits. I'm not sure what else they "still" do The whale dig used to be a family activity; not sure if that is kids only now or still family.

There will be a list of activities provided to you with a schedule --slightly different format but same idea as the Navigator on the ship. Sorry to hear that the crab races don't exist any more.

Ok we won't look for anything organized with the crabs. Maybe we'll see some hanging around free. [emoji41]

Any info about what activities the counselors may do with the kids? And how close by we need to be. Don't want to be a helicopter granny.[emoji907][emoji905]

Thanks

Linda

Oceaneer's Club/Lab (what the kid's club is called on the ship) is moved to the island for the day. It's called Scuttle's Cove. They don't do any water activities with the kids (at least they don't take the kids down to the shoreline).

You can look at past Navigators here and get an idea of what sorts of activities have been done in the past: http://disneycruiselineblog.com/personal-navigators/

We have been to castaway cay probably 14 or 15 times. Never had a cabana. There are lots of umbrellas to get out of the sun. If the kids can swim, the slides are really fun. You can buy sand toys or bring your own. The water is very calm and depending on time of year, can be very warm.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My daughter is 8. She enjoys bike riding around the island with her dad. There's a watchtower you can climb up and get a pretty view of the ship. She also enjoys using the paper cups you drink soda from to build sand castles at the beach (don't leave them there. Throw them away when you're done). The entertaining pretty much takes care of itself while you sit back and have a drink.