Questions about RCCL with kids

I've looked at a million reviews and threads and haven't found the exact answers I'm looking for, so bear with me if these have been asked before. We are cruising the Grandeur of the Seas in August with a 6 and 4 year old.

1. I've seen guidance to go to the kid's club upon embarkation to "sign up" the kids to use the club for the entirety of the cruise. Does this mean the club fills up? Should I rush to get there right away on day 1?

2. Are there books and board games in public areas for us to play/read as a family when we're hanging around or is this something I should pack?

3. I've looked at daily activity sheets here and there for different ships over the past years and can't get a feel for if the evening shows will ever be appropriate or enjoyable for kids this age?

4. Will the kids club provide a schedule each day for my kids to pick and choose activities that they want to participate in?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I've looked at a million reviews and threads and haven't found the exact answers I'm looking for, so bear with me if these have been asked before. We are cruising the Grandeur of the Seas in August with a 6 and 4 year old.

1. I've seen guidance to go to the kid's club upon embarkation to "sign up" the kids to use the club for the entirety of the cruise. Does this mean the club fills up? Should I rush to get there right away on day 1?

2. Are there books and board games in public areas for us to play/read as a family when we're hanging around or is this something I should pack?

3. I've looked at daily activity sheets here and there for different ships over the past years and can't get a feel for if the evening shows will ever be appropriate or enjoyable for kids this age?

4. Will the kids club provide a schedule each day for my kids to pick and choose activities that they want to participate in?

1. You can sign up any time. I suppose it could reach capacity at a particular time if all the kids on the ship suddenly went but haven't experienced this.

2. Bring your own. There is a library on some ships and some games but not really kid focused. I bring books, haven't found a need for board games as there is plenty to do on board.

3. Generally not kid focused, with a few exceptions. Not that they are necessarily inappropriate, just boring for kids. My son likes things like the ice show (not sure if they have that on Grandeur), but not the evening singers. Kids club has evening activities.

4. Yes. It's separate from the cruise planner. You will get a kids activity sheet with your cruise planner each day.

While it is not necessary to rush to sign up - have never heard of the kids club filling (they know in advance how many kids will be onboard and plan accordingly), I strongly suggest you attend the first night orientation. This is when the kids meet the others in their group and form friendships.

1. You can sign up any time. I suppose it could reach capacity at a particular time if all the kids on the ship suddenly went but haven't experienced this.

It is best to sign your kids up the first day with everyone else.

Yes, you can sign them up at anytime, but when the line to drop your kids off is already out the door it best not to take up everyone's time while you're filling out paperwork.

James

1-you sign them up any time. Dropping them off is when it could possibly be at capacity and you may not be able to at that moment

2-I would say bring your own. Honestly, we all did so much stuff that there was no down time.

3-I went to a few shows and they would have all been fine for kids except the the Quest. I wouldn't say all are enjoyable for kids. I even wanted to fall asleep during the ice skating show we saw.

4-our youngest went maaaaybe 3 times. When we picked her up, it looked like primarily group activities and there were probably 10-12 kids at most in her age group each time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may want to check out the card room for playing cards and usually an assortment of board games like backgammon, etc.

I believe Lady G also has shuffleboard on the outer decks, and as long as the kids are behaved, they are welcome to sit with you and enjoy any of the musically entertainment in the bars/ pubs in the evenings. Our daughter used to enjoy the piano playing a bit but we'd sit near the exit in case she'd indicate she'd reached her limit so we could make a quiet escape.

No need to rush to sign them up but you should make sure they get there the first night. That's when everybody meets each other for the first time and friendships are formed.

There is a library on board where you will be able to find books but there is not a huge selection and most won't be for kids. I would bring my own kids' books. You will find a few games to play but not many geared toward kids that are your kids' ages. Again, I would bring my own.

There will be some shows (adult humor) that will definitely NOT be appropriate for kids. Most of the shows are singers or dancers. While they won't be inappropriate, it may not be something the kids enjoy. Try it and see.

Yes. If I remember correctly, you will get a schedule for the week when you sign your kids up. Your kids will also get a schedule left in your cabin every day.

RCI has a fantastic kids program! I'm sure neither you or the kids will be disappointed.

I took my 5 year old twins two years ago on RCCL.

Here are my tips...

1. Sign up the first day. It will be done and out of the way and you won't have to worry about it.

I went in the summer and it did not take long to do the check-in.

2. They provide a schedule each day of activities and you can pick and choose when you want to bring your kids. I brought them for events I thought they would like.

3. They do themed nights... They had a pirate night, PJ party night, and fairy tale night when we went. They do a cute parade around the ship dressed as pirates for pirate night. It is cute to see all the kids.

4. The pool is deep. They provide life vests now, but they go quickly. If you know you need a specific size, bring your own. I did and was so glad. My oldest was 8 when we went and is tall, and she couldn't stand either. I'm 5'4" and I could stand tip-toe.

5. Ice cream by the pool is a kid fav.

6. Night shows are not always great for the kids. We took them to a comedian that was family friendly, but they really weren't impressed. They went to kids club on nights the shows were adult-oriented, and my husband and I saw the shows.

7. The arcade machines can be activated by your child's key/identification card. If they stand too close to the machines and they have access to make purchases, they can pay for video games. I didn't think to not allow them to purchase things because they were 5 and I knew they wouldn't be going into stores and things without me. Their key cards (which they wear around their necks...kid's club gave them lanyards.) activated the machines.

While it is not necessary to rush to sign up - have never heard of the kids club filling (they know in advance how many kids will be onboard and plan accordingly), I strongly suggest you attend the first night orientation. This is when the kids meet the others in their group and form friendships.

Typically when is this? Before dinner? After?

There's no ice skating on Grandeur, so ignore the mentions of that...

We haven't used Adventure Ocean on Grandeur (yet... see you in 72 days Lady G), but it's typically the same on all ships. We have experience with Enchantment (Grandeur's sister), Brilliance, and Freedom.

There is a version of the compass for Adventure Ocean. However, it's broken into the 3 sessions that Adventure Ocean is open. It doesn't give a detailed timeline of activities. So it'll list all the activities for the morning session, all the activities for the afternoon session, and all the activities for the evening session.

In my experience, my kids love it and hate leaving... which leaves plenty of relaxation time for the grown ups.

As for boarding day and registration, typically Adventure Ocean has an Open House in the early afternoon (some ships will also start registration during the Open House). After the Muster Drill until the first seating for dinner begins, there will be an open registration. Then they are open for a shortened evening session the first night.

They will tell you when "orientation" and sign up is...that's when ALL the kids are 'new'...so you want your child there to get in on the "making friends" thing right off the bat. That way, they aren't the "new kid on the block" when they go the 1st time.

1. I've seen guidance to go to the kid's club upon embarkation to "sign up" the kids to use the club for the entirety of the cruise. Does this mean the club fills up? Should I rush to get there right away on day 1? You should sign them up first day..staff have more time to answer questions then. They did mention about possibility of being full on jewel the other week; don't think it ever happened; as the were lots of kids on board.

2. Are there books and board games in public areas for us to play/read as a family when we're hanging around or is this something I should pack? You will find some of both But it will be very limited bring your own.

3. I've looked at daily activity sheets here and there for different ships over the past years and can't get a feel for if the evening shows will ever be appropriate or enjoyable for kids this age? 6 & 4 probably not. I guess a 6 year old might like some of the musical shows but they do last around 50 minutes. We always use kids clubs at these times.

4. Will the kids club provide a schedule each day for my kids to pick and choose activities that they want to participate in? Yes will be delivered to room each night.

Here is my review of Kid facilities on Jewel of the Seas last month which should give some additional ideas plus the is a link to same for Harmony.

When I get my scanner working (& learn how to upload on wordpress) will add the kids cruise compass for the week.

Here is my review of Kid facilities on Jewel of the Seas last month which should give some additional ideas plus the is a link to same for Harmony.

When I get my scanner working (& learn how to upload on wordpress) will add the kids cruise compass for the week.

That would be fantastic, thank you!!!

And thanks to everyone else for the quick and helpful replies!

Hi all! We are leaving on the Harmony soon and would love to see a review of their kids facility if there is one out there that anyone knows of! I keep searching and can't fine anything!!! Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Typically when is this? Before dinner? After?

We were on Liberty in March. We boarded and the rooms were not ready so we just went and signed them up right then while we were waiting around if I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all! We are leaving on the Harmony soon and would love to see a review of their kids facility if there is one out there that anyone knows of! I keep searching and can't fine anything!!! Thanks in advance!

My attempt last year...... need to completely rewrite it at some point to not sound like an advert & add additional photographs....was just learning how to use Wordpress at the time http://www.modernlifeisgood.com/2016/08/10/cruising-with-kids-harmony-of-the-seas/

Could I ask a follow up question? I have a painfully shy 4.5 year old. Would they let her join her 7 year old sister? Or do they have to stay in their age groups? If so it's fine, we have a 2 year old as well so she can stay with us and her sister. But I'd love for her to have time playing and experimenting. I just know she won't do it alone.

Could I ask a follow up question? I have a painfully shy 4.5 year old. Would they let her join her 7 year old sister? Or do they have to stay in their age groups? If so it's fine, we have a 2 year old as well so she can stay with us and her sister. But I'd love for her to have time playing and experimenting. I just know she won't do it alone.

You cannot plan on the staff allowing kids to change age groups. It depends on the number of kids they have in each group. Also, it's best to make sure the kids go the first night when everyone is new.

It's far more likely that they would allow the 7 year old to move down a group, but she might find the age appropriate activities in the younger group to be too "babyish". That's one reason why it's important for her to go the first night to meet the others who will be in her group - after all, it won't be long before she's in school without her sister. All she needs to do is make one friend that first night. In fact, why not check your roll call to see if anyone has a child who will be in her group so they can be online friends before they go.

What are generally the age groups my daughter will be 10 we sail in July on the freedom. We went in Thompson cruise when she was 7 and loved the kids club

The Adventure Ocean age groups are 3-5, 6-8, and 9-11.