Bottled Water Package

Pamelajoy

There is no magic pipe - the ship has a state of the art desalination system

There's a very knowledgeable ship's chief engineer (chengkp75) who regularly posts on CC who says that water supply is a combination of desalinated & shore water.

The ships potable water is seawater desalinated - so there is an unending supply -

Water is bunkered as well.

On some itineraries, there isn't enough waste heat to produce the required water.

Your posts seem to contradict your earlier posts. I'm not sure if you're sincere,

or just trying to cause trouble.

Water is bunkered as well.

On some itineraries, there isn't enough waste heat to produce the required water.

Your posts seem to contradict your earlier posts. I'm not sure if you're sincere,

or just trying to cause trouble.

I did not contradict my posts - Princess is not going to mix Mexican or other bad water with their pure desalinated water - I am not trying to cause trouble - I will accept your prompt apology

Edited by elfinmagic
added content

There is not an unending supply of potable water when one is in Mexico though. Most people I know bring their own supply of water with them for the day. [emoji57]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Probably a dumb question but does Princess ration the water when in Mexico?? What do they use for pools, cooking, showering etc when in Mexico - Just asking???

We have 506 days on Princess and have never had a problem with water rvrn when in Mexico??

Princess is not going to mix Mexican or other bad water with their pure desalinated water.
The ships potable water is seawater desalinated - so there is an unending supply -

Hopefully the Chief will respond about water from Mexico but here's his post about sources of shipboard water which is more than your claim that it's only desalinated water.

Ship's water comes from three sources. One is bunkered in port, and this water must have been tested within the last month to meet USPH water quality standards, is chlorinated before going in the tanks, and is not used for 18-24 hours while a coliform bacteria test is done.

The second and third sources are water made onboard. The ships use a mixture of reverse osmosis watermakers and flash evaporators. The RO units work at extremely high pressures (unlike the ones in your home) to produce water with less than 20ppm sodium. The evaporators make pure distilled water, as the sea water is boiled and then condensed.

Water from all three sources will be mixed (once the test on the shore water is done) to give something less than distilled. Most cruise lines offer bottled distilled water for medical equipment, it really isn't necessary for short periods, but we used to just have the room stewards call the engine room and we would fill gallon jugs straight from the evaporator.

Hopefully the Chief will respond about water from Mexico but here's his post about sources of shipboard water which is more than your claim that it's only desalinated water.

So are you saying the ships water is or is not safe to drink? we have been drinking it for 506 days and are still alive??

So are you saying the ships water is or is not safe to drink? we have been drinking it for 506 days and are still alive??

I've regularly posted during the frequent threads about shipboard water that we drink it because the quality is tested more often than tap water at home & for us it's perfectly safe to drink.

Instead of bottled water, I use a refillable Brita filtered water bottle in the gym whether at home or traveling and only use bottled water in port. That's my prerogative but I'm not being critical about anyone who prefers to do things differently.

The number of cruise days isn't really pertinent to the water safety question. And between my cruises & a couple of years in the USN, I'm also still alive after drinking shipboard water for several years at sea. ;)

That unending ship's supply of high-quality H2O wont't do me any good when I'm OFF the ship doing all those excursions though.

[emoji6]

We always bring bottles of water with us off the ship. Since we are beachcombers, we being at least three bottles per person with us so that we don't get dehydrated. Last Oct it was in the mid 90s with extremely high humidity.

Elfin, you keep referencing drinking the water while ON the ship.

We won't drink that

Contaminated Mexican tap water so we always being a bunch of bottled water with us

Edited by 4cats4me

Am I understanding this correctly? One can only get a bottled water package if you pre-order it. If you are able to get soda etc packages on board it would seem to make sense you could also get water. But I need to know. And please don't lecture me about how pure the ship's water is. Bottled is my preference and I am willing to pay for it.

Am I understanding this correctly? One can only get a bottled water package if you pre-order it. If you are able to get soda etc packages on board it would seem to make sense you could also get water. But I need to know. And please don't lecture me about how pure the ship's water is. Bottled is my preference and I am willing to pay for it.

Yes...it can only be pre-ordered up to a couple of days before sailing & it's also refundable by cancelling before the cruise. My 12-pack wasn't sealed together but it was stacked on a tray in our cabin. From LA it was Niagara brand (filtered) but buying individual bottles was Crystal Geyser (spring).

Yes, it needs to be pre-ordered and charged to a credit card - no OBC allowed.

Yes, the water on board is just as good. But, for a measly $6.80, a 12 pack of 500 mm bottles will be waiting in your room. At about $.56 per bottle, the cost is pretty minor for the convenience it provides. We just ordered our case for our upcoming cruise.

Yes, it needs to be pre-ordered and charged to a credit card - no OBC allowed.

Yes, the water on board is just as good. But, for a measly $6.80, a 12 pack of 500 mm bottles will be waiting in your room. At about $.56 per bottle, the cost is pretty minor for the convenience it provides. We just ordered our case for our upcoming cruise.

Absolutely agree.

Can't get it at all if you're in Australia.

No idea where you're sailing to or from.

I did not contradict my posts - Princess is not going to mix Mexican or other bad water with their pure desalinated water - I am not trying to cause trouble - I will accept your prompt apology

Still waiting?

As others have pointed out, there are several sourced of shipboard freshwater...

A/C condensate, flash evaporation, reverse osmosis and bunkering.

Your claim that "The ships potable water is seawater desalinated" is false.

In discussion in another thread, a poster said some water is taken on board.

You replied "I know"

Now you post again that "The ships potable water is seawater desalinated"

No further point in attempting to have a conversation with you.

BTW, what name did you previously post under?

Still waiting?

As others have pointed out, there are several sourced of shipboard freshwater...

A/C condensate, flash evaporation, reverse osmosis and bunkering.

Your claim that "The ships potable water is seawater desalinated" is false.

In discussion in another thread, a poster said some water is taken on board.

You replied "I know"

Now you post again that "The ships potable water is seawater desalinated"

No further point in attempting to have a conversation with you.

BTW, what name did you previously post under?

Never posted under another namr

This board has me convinced that the ships water is unsafe to drink - however it is the same water and ice they serve at the dining table and the same water they use in cooking. I will continue to use it and take my cjances

I've regularly posted during the frequent threads about shipboard water that we drink it because the quality is tested more often than tap water at home & for us it's perfectly safe to drink.

Instead of bottled water, I use a refillable Brita filtered water bottle in the gym whether at home or traveling and only use bottled water in port. That's my prerogative but I'm not being critical about anyone who prefers to do things differently.

The number of cruise days isn't really pertinent to the water safety question. And between my cruises & a couple of years in the USN, I'm also still alive after drinking shipboard water for several years at sea. ;)

If you read the fine print on most bottled water it is just tap water - some of the more expensive are filtered, but (and this is my opinion) the ships water is more pure than any bottled water you can buy - anyway I am done posting on this thread - no one wants to hear the facts

Never posted under another namr

This board has me convinced that the ships water is unsafe to drink - however it is the same water and ice they serve at the dining table and the same water they use in cooking. I will continue to use it and take my cjances

If you read the fine print on most bottled water it is just tap water - some of the more expensive are filtered, but (and this is my opinion) the ships water is more pure than any bottled water you can buy - anyway I am done posting on this thread - no one wants to hear the facts

I'm confused. Are you convinced that ship water which you feel is more pure than any bottled water is unsafe to drink, or did you have a typo in one of your posts?

I'm confused. Are you convinced that ship water which you feel is more pure than any bottled water is unsafe to drink, or did you have a typo in one of your posts?

NO - we deink it regularly as well as the water and ice served at dinner (same water) but it seems that the consensus of this thread feels that it may be contaminated - so - rather than be troublesome I decided to go along with them

I'm aware of how bottled water is produced & all of that sourced from tap water is filtered & not merely the more expensive bottled water.

No one wants to hear the facts? :confused:

The information from the Chief that shipboard water is very safe to drink are facts but as others have posted your facts can be contradictory. I don't know what you're reading on this board but the overwhelming majority of posts indicate that shipboard water is completely safe to drink.

But whether drinking ship's or bottled water that's a decision that each of us make for ourselves.

This was my experience with the bottled water that you can preorder. I hated the bottles! They are so thin that when you first try to take the cap off water goes everywhere.

Carolyn...I also noticed that the Niagara bottled water from Ontario California were thinner than other bottled water containers. While that may be better for the environment, as you experienced it can also be messy. :eek:

I'm certainly no connoisseur of bottled water which we only use to supplement our water supply when away from home. For $6.90 per 12-pack of half liter bottles that's our best option for water in ports where we don't feel comfortable drinking from the local water supply...including ice cubes. ;)