First Time in a Balcony Question

We have our first balcony cabin booked on Radiance of the Seas Alaskan cruise in June. Being that we are there during the summer equinox and it never truly gets dark, are the curtains thick enough to keep light out for sleeping? A little light won't bother me but it will my husband. Just trying to see if I need to pack anything extra to help him sleep.

I have found the curtains on all ships are blackout curtains. We were on HAL to Alaska and so can't comment on if it will be dark enough for you or not, but be prepared that the sun never sets in the summer in Alaska. We were on deck at 11:30 PM and it was light, and one time we woke up with light peeking around the blackout curtain (not what woke us) and thinking it was late morning was surprised it was like 4:00 AM! Only thing I can suggest is bring a sleep mask if you think it might be a problem.

It does not get truly dark in Alaska in the summer. We were on the Rhapsody during an Alaskan cruise over Independence Day. Most towns in Alaska have their fireworks shows 12am and 1am on the 4th, rather than between 9pm and 11pm.

But, it was dark enough that my wife and I both stubbed toes trying to walk around the sofa bed.

We did Iceland and Norway in late May one year. This pic is quarter to midnight. We didn't have any trouble sleeping whatsoever which surprised me. The curtains on Adventure (pre refurb too) were great.

e46e10bd205fc12f652e0d6789d6aaac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have our first balcony cabin booked on Radiance of the Seas Alaskan cruise in June. Being that we are there during the summer equinox and it never truly gets dark, are the curtains thick enough to keep light out for sleeping? A little light won't bother me but it will my husband. Just trying to see if I need to pack anything extra to help him sleep.

In Seward (Anchorage) on JUNE 20 (Equinox) Sunrise is 4:31am, Sunset is 11:25pm....

In Vancouver on JUNE 20, Sunrise is 5:06am, Sunset is 9:21pm...

Balcony Room Curtains will keep any light out...

Dennis & Sue

We are doing the May 17th Cruise...

There is always a little light that comes in around the blackout curtains. Believe me as a person who needs dark to sleep. Take clothes pins and a sleep mask. The only time I don't need them is if I'm in an inside cabin. A crack of light and I am awake. Have him try the sleep mask at home for a night or two. I have one that is super soft and comfortable, I don't use it except when I am away from home and it never bothers me.

I'd bring clothespins/binderclips or a sleep mask, which are pretty much required in order to get a full night's sleep in Scandinavia in the summer. Blackout curtains help to an extent, so it depends on how light sensitive you are. I bring up Scandinavia because the light situation here is similar to Alaska. I'd actually booked an inside for our June fjords cruise in order to be able to sleep in the dark, but a too good to pass up price drop happened and now I'll be in balcony with my sleep mask and clothes pins.