Food hygiene on Oceana

Vegcurry

Just returned from a great itinerary on Oceana our first P&O cruise. We have cruised with Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Norwegian so we are not new to cruising.

Most things were fine apart from the Plaza buffet. My husband was twice elbowed in the head whilst enjoying his lunch but to top it all he found himself chewing on a rubber band that had been in his curry dish. He very nearly swallowed it which could have had major consequences. We spoke to the buffet manager Who escalated the complaint higher for which we received an apology.

Has anybody else experienced anything like this?

I hope you received more than just an apology and that this hasn't put you off of cruising with P&O.

No never experienced anything like this before, hopefully it was an isolated incident that obviously should not have happened and I certainly hope it wasn't a member of staff that elbowed him.

On our first Cruise which was on Arcadia in 2008. I was enjoying a custard slice when I bit into what was left of a glove finger!!!!!!

It hasn't put me off cruising as we have been with P&O a dozen times since :-)

I was tucking into my beef wellington once and pulled a piece of plastic out my mouth that had obviously come from a pint glass, the waitress was mortified. The head waiter just took my cabin number and I never heard about it again. With 2 days to go before getting off I suspect he just wanted to hope the problem would disappear. (Princess not P&O)

I haven't experienced any of the above, but we avoid the buffet for hygiene reasons. Sadly, a lot of people don't wash their hands after using the loo and others have a terrible habit of licking food spills of their hands and then picking up serving tongs. Yuk! As a result, the buffet is prime territory for the spread of Norovirus, hence why during an outbreak staff will serve passengers in the buffet.

I think these incidents are in the minority, and to be honest I think these things aren't isolated to P&O, twice I have had foreign objects in M&S meals - one was a metal nut, despite all the mod cons manufacturers have such as metal detectors on production lines. Having said this it's never nice when it happens. My husband was served grouse on Arcadia that still had its feathers on - made the whole table heave!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think these incidents are in the minority, and to be honest I think these things aren't isolated to P&O, twice I have had foreign objects in M&S meals - one was a metal nut, despite all the mod cons manufacturers have such as metal detectors on production lines. Having said this it's never nice when it happens. My husband was served grouse on Arcadia that still had its feathers on - made the whole table heave!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

How did that happen ??!!!! ALL of the feathers ?!

Many passengers do not realise the reason for tongs /ladles and spoons etc at the servery of The Buffett.

Some people we all know do not wash their hands correctly or if at all after using the lavatory nor do they use the hand gels and wash basins provided in the eatery.

If you use your hands to pick up food from the servery then there is a strong possibility that other parts of your hand will contaminate the food that's still in the serving containers.

Germs can obviously be transferred to the serving implements but when they are used to transfer the food to your plate it is only the handle part that gets contaminated, not the rest of the food other passengers are going to serve .

Norovirus bug is usually transferred by mouth contact so try and not touch your mouth with your hands if you have just used the serving implements, same applies to chair rests and handrails, door handles etc.

Many people will make contact with their hand to face without realising it.

Best measure is to carry your own anti virus foam.

Many passengers do not realise the reason for tongs /ladles and spoons etc at the servery of The Buffett.

Some people we all know do not wash their hands correctly or if at all after using the lavatory nor do they use the hand gels and wash basins provided in the eatery.

If you use your hands to pick up food from the servery then there is a strong possibility that other parts of your hand will contaminate the food that's still in the serving containers.

Germs can obviously be transferred to the serving implements but when they are used to transfer the food to your plate it is only the handle part that gets contaminated, not the rest of the food other passengers are going to serve .

Norovirus bug is usually transferred by mouth contact so try and not touch your mouth with your hands if you have just used the serving implements, same applies to chair rests and handrails, door handles etc.

Many people will make contact with their hand to face without realising it.

Best measure is to carry your own anti virus foam.

Yes I wholeheartedly agree. And it only needs one or two not to have washed or sanitised their hands. My father drove us mad when I was young , he was obsessed with hand washing , he was a doctor , but I grew up to understand why.

Fortunately cases of foreign bodies in food are rare and can happen anywhere.