Viking Air - were you satisfied

mjthecruiser

Sorry for all of these questions. I am trying to figure out if I should book now for 9/2018 to get included air. How did included air workout? Did you get your requested airport? How many and how were the connections?

What about time of flight?

Did anyone use $100 deviation? How did that work out?

See this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2486004

I didn't post on that thread about it, but we paid the $100 per person deviation fee to fly into Zurich 3 days early, as well as the $50 per person fee to have a say in our flights. Well worth the money...especially if free airfare is included. We ended up with great flights to/from Europe for $150 per person. Our requested airport was STL, 1 connection in Newark on the way to Zurich. On the return from AMS, our flight is at noon with 1 connection in Washington Dulles.

Lynn

Thanks for the link. I don't believe I missed that thread. We want to go in early and stay late so it looks like the deviation fee may be the way to go. My last concern is that some people on that thread said you can't use deviation for free airfare. I will have to double check that.We fly out of Newark so that part should be easy.

I will second the advice above. We have used Viking Air several times with excellent results. We have used the $50/pp Custom Air option 3 times now and always have been able to get the flights we wanted. Good arrival and departure times with no more connections than were required. Once we flew in early and paid the deviation fee. Even with the $100/pp fee it was still hundreds cheaper than we could have booked on our own. The other 2 times we arrived and departed on cruise days so we had Viking transfers. Also just as a FYI after you use the Air Plus/Custom Air service 3 times you can use it on any future Viking cruises (river or ocean) without paying the $50 fee.

Have not yet taken my trip but do have the times and flights already in hand and found that the system worked well. We paid both the $50 fee and the $100 deviation. Ended up with a nonstop kLM, SFO to AMS and an Air France morning flight back to SF out of Budapest with a midday layover for lunch in Paris. One stop Buda to SF is best anyone could expect. By using the deviation I was then able to book my own hotel package and plan my own transfers, all fr considerably less than Viking.

My last concern is that some people on that thread said you can't use deviation for free airfare.

I can't speak for others, but we were able to use deviation on free airfare.

Lynn

We paid the deviation fee to fly in three days early for a Transylvania tour prior to our Passage to Eastern Europe itinerary. We haven't gone yet but the flights are satisfactory as far as I can tell and typical of what has been given us on previous trips to Europe. We choose to fly out of Dulles rather than the local airport as connections can be a problem sometimes.

OP, don't be sorry for the questions. As a newbie to river cruising I greatly appreciate them.

Thanks for the answer. Can you please tell me how the deciation works? Did you pick your own flights? They sound ideal. Just for curiosity, how many extra days did you plan to stay?

In my case it was 2 days at each end. This was done using free air. The deviation is what allows you to book independently. Otherwise you are expected to either come in day of embarkation and leave day of debarkation or do your extensions through Viking. The $50 custom air option allows you to discuss which flights you want with Viking rather than take what they assign. Ironically I accepted their first offered times as I could not find anything better OMO. That may partially be a function of flying from SFO which had logical flights using KLM/AirFrance. Connections from other airports might require more creative juggling.

We fly out of Newark so lots of flights are available. Thanks for all of the input. It makes me feel more comfortable taking free flight offer. Now if only I can accept paying 6 months in advance. I've cruised many times and have never had to pay more than 90 days in advance. I couldn't believe it when Viking originally wanted payment more than a year in advance.

Short answer, no, we were not satisfied. I hesitate to respond because I don't blame the problems on Viking. We paid the $50 to pick our flights and seats. DW is tall so we specified an aisle seat for her. When we arrived for our international flights we were informed at the gate that KLM had an "equipment change" (more on that in a minute). Needless to say, seat assignments went out the window. Not a good start to our vacation! Well, the supposed "equipment change" apparently was permanent as the KLM return flight had the same marks on the bulkhead up forward. The seat pitch of the "new" equipment was 26" both ways. Again, on the return flight the seat assignments were changed at the gate. As much as we enjoyed our cruise we have decided that on our future river cruises we will make our own air reservations. Unfortunately, due to the expense we are now limited in how many river cruises we can take. Hey, I just put a positive spin on it now. At least I wasn't beaten and dragged off the plane.

We were extremely satisfied!! Paid the extra $50 pp and an addition $100 pp on the Flight we wanted.. zero layovers. The Viking Rep was amazing and helped out with flying to Amsterdam and flying back from Basel. I had several questions afterwards and they answered all of them. I'm very satisfied with Viking and the service!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums