One Very Lucky Passenger

babs135

I notice the article doesn't say "falling overboard" but rather "going overboard" -- which is a nice change. So hard to explain to non-cruising friends that it's very, very, very difficult to "fall" overboard on a cruise ship (unless you're doing something stupid).

Yes, lucky that someone noticed him falling off and that the ship and the Coast Guard expended a lot of effort to locate and rescue him. But certainly not lucky to be smart enough to not fall of the ship in the first place. No one "accidentally" falls off a cruise ship. He either deliberately jumped or did something really stupid.

Wow Disney's rescue again although this time is one of its own passenger. In January 2015, we were on Disney's Magic and we rescued someone in the water fell off from Oasis of the Seas left in the ocean for hours. Since we paid for our cabin, I would like to think we partially funded the rescue!

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/13/us/man-overboard-cruise-rescue/

I notice the article doesn't say "falling overboard" but rather "going overboard" -- which is a nice change. So hard to explain to non-cruising friends that it's very, very, very difficult to "fall" overboard on a cruise ship (unless you're doing something stupid).

Sooooo very true.. you would not believe the non-cruising idiots who actually think you can 'accidently' fall over a FOUR 'freakin' FOOT rail?? And the balcony rails are HIGHER than that !! But somewhere in 'Moosesludge' Montana, you have some handwringing Congressperson, who gets up on the House floor (their 2 minutes of fame) and starts screaming about 'making cruising SAFER' (code words for, let's start treating ALL adults like children). Shesssssh! WHERE and when will this madness end ? Or worse, will it ever? (Just my two cents worth)

Mac

Wow Disney's rescue again although this time is one of its own passenger. In January 2015, we were on Disney's Magic and we rescued someone in the water fell off from Oasis of the Seas left in the ocean for hours. Since we paid for our cabin, I would like to think we partially funded the rescue!

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/13/us/man-overboard-cruise-rescue/

We ALL funded the rescue (with tax dollars) and what do you wanna bet, this stupid idiot will probably get some money greedy lawyer and try to sue ANYBODY, (including RCL) BECAUSE he went overboard. I remember a couple years ago a (I'll use the term loosely 'lady') fell (so she claimed) overboard a CCL ship, and it took almost an hour to get the ship turned around and fish her out. I read here on CC that she had filed suit because it took SO long for the ship too get to her. Never did hear how it turned out, but hopefully SHE and lawyer were laughed out of court, but knowing how afraid some large companies don't want to go to court, they probably settled out of court. :(

Mac

Lucky not just for getting picked up but for just surviving impact with the water. Ships are getting large enough that from upper decks it can be like falling off a 12 story building - about 150 feet, after which they would be moving about 60 mph when they hit the water. Internal injuries are likely if hitting at a bad angle. Certainly possible to lose consciousness and drown before being recovered.