Alcohol Question- Going Against the Cheers Program

coreyh4

I wonder if they made some change recently

anyone in the last few months drink more than 15 drinks in a day NOT on the cheers program?

I would like to know that as well.

anyone in the last few months drink more than 15 drinks in a day NOT on the cheers program?

I would hazard a guess that anyone planning on drinking that much would have Cheers.

I am in a similar boat as well. My wife will drink, but a small quantity everyday, and I plan on having a bottle of Crown Royal in the room along with our two bottles of wine. Just feel it will be cheaper that the total cost of the cheers program.

Getting that bottle of Crown Royal in the room without paying through the nose on the ship is the problem.:D

port days, bloody mary with breakfast, take a beer "roadie" off the ship. You get back to the ship at 4 or 5 pm and there is plenty of time to have 4-5 more drinks, easy, peasy

Can you do that? I can't say that I've ever noticed anyone do it.

Right, There would only be two days potentially that we would get to that number. Reason for asking is, we have 3 port days where we know we will be off the ship and drinking ( at least one day at an all inclusive day resort), and we know when we return to the ship we may not even get to the 5-6 drinks. With an average sales price of $7 per drink doesn't pay the per day cost of the cheers program.

The average price of my drinks is about 10.50 and up. If you just drink beer, wine or well spirits, cheers may not work for you at $50 per day to break even. See how it goes and if your tab is more than cheers this time, get it next time. Have fun!

Getting that bottle of Crown Royal in the room without paying through the nose on the ship is the problem.:D

it's still about 1/2 the cost of "by the drink" price at the bars if you get a liter. there are 33 oz so about 15 doubles in each liter.

On our last cruise we got the Cheers program and overall I found it worthwhile. While DW is not an avid drinker she will have a few each day. Mostly I like the fact that I know what the drink costs will be ahead of time and that she and I can have whatever we want, when we want it. On previous cruises I'd have an alcohol budget in mind and was always thinking "do I want this drink, or wait and have that drink later? Or where am I on the budget? am I going over? " With cheers if we want it, we drink it. I don't worry about counting drinks (unless I'm at 15) or if I'm breaking even or not, nor do I pressure DW to drink more than she wants for the sake of "breaking even". On our last cruise we also found a number of drinks to try for the first time that we would not normally have, some of which are our favorites now. Cheers gives us permission to explore new things and if we don't like it (which there were some) we didn't feel like we wasted our money. The peace of mind and the freedom to drink whatever we want, whenever we want makes for a much more relaxing vacation. No sticker shock at the end of the cruise.

Just last month my wife and I had a couple days we both had more than 15 by buying buckets of beer during the day and a bottle of wine at dinner. We had cheers but were still able to have 15 plus the extras no problem. I imagine if we could do that carnival would be more than happy to let people paying per drink exceed 15. Of course it helps if you can handle your alcohol and not turn into a sloppy drunk, maybe that was the issue?

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk

Can you do that? I can't say that I've ever noticed anyone do it.

My wife and I have grabbed a couple on our way off the ship before and drank them in port no problem. They aren't worried much about what goes off the ship, unless you are blatantly carrying it in your hand they won't know and won't care. Whether this is technically allowed is debatable but it is easily doable.

On our last cruise we got the Cheers program and overall I found it worthwhile. While DW is not an avid drinker she will have a few each day. Mostly I like the fact that I know what the drink costs will be ahead of time and that she and I can have whatever we want, when we want it. On previous cruises I'd have an alcohol budget in mind and was always thinking "do I want this drink, or wait and have that drink later? Or where am I on the budget? am I going over? " With cheers if we want it, we drink it. I don't worry about counting drinks (unless I'm at 15) or if I'm breaking even or not, nor do I pressure DW to drink more than she wants for the sake of "breaking even". On our last cruise we also found a number of drinks to try for the first time that we would not normally have, some of which are our favorites now. Cheers gives us permission to explore new things and if we don't like it (which there were some) we didn't feel like we wasted our money. The peace of mind and the freedom to drink whatever we want, whenever we want makes for a much more relaxing vacation. No sticker shock at the end of the cruise.

You nailed it, this is one of the best aspects of cheers.

I actually just cancelled my Cheers order. I think it was putting too much pressure on me to drink more than I would typically on vacation. I think I'll just enjoy a drink or two in the afternoon and maybe enjoy some of my own supply of wine.

This is exactly the same boat as me, we have 2 sea days and 2 port days. On port days I could see us going over the $50 because my husband would probably drink 6-7 beer and I would def drink a few beer with a few mixed drinks. On days we are on port I don't see us having more than maybe 2 drinks, especially since their back to back days so we'll be up early. I do however know that if we had the Cheers programs we would take advantage of the specialty coffees, soda, etc. and probably drink a little more than normal. I keep going back and forth because the thought of not worrying about the price of drinks and how much we are spending makes cheers worth it but at the same time if we purchase it and don't break even we could have used that money for other things while on our cruise. $550 is a lot of money out of our spending budget for our trip but I can guarantee that we'll be at least at $350-400 and we'll be sticking to water, tea and plain coffee.

I'm playing the waiting game. My husband is not for purchasing Cheers because of the price but he's not the one that will be worrying about how much our drink total is adding up to while on the vacation! I figured start putting a little extra aside now and 2 weeks before our cruse in July if I've managed to add in what we need for Cheers I'll purchase it. I may shoot myself though if we don't break even in the end!

This is exactly the same boat as me, we have 2 sea days and 2 port days. On port days I could see us going over the $50 because my husband would probably drink 6-7 beer and I would def drink a few beer with a few mixed drinks. On days we are on port I don't see us having more than maybe 2 drinks, especially since their back to back days so we'll be up early. I do however know that if we had the Cheers programs we would take advantage of the specialty coffees, soda, etc. and probably drink a little more than normal. I keep going back and forth because the thought of not worrying about the price of drinks and how much we are spending makes cheers worth it but at the same time if we purchase it and don't break even we could have used that money for other things while on our cruise. $550 is a lot of money out of our spending budget for our trip but I can guarantee that we'll be at least at $350-400 and we'll be sticking to water, tea and plain coffee.

I'm playing the waiting game. My husband is not for purchasing Cheers because of the price but he's not the one that will be worrying about how much our drink total is adding up to while on the vacation! I figured start putting a little extra aside now and 2 weeks before our cruse in July if I've managed to add in what we need for Cheers I'll purchase it. I may shoot myself though if we don't break even in the end!

Bring wine lol. Beer from what I understand is $24 for 4. You can also get a bottle of liquor sent to your stateroom and have mixers that way. I may get hammered in port lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bought a lot of beer from red from pub on Vista. But, even with my dinner drink and an occasional pool drink, we just barely broke $200 on our bar bill. Cheers! is definitely not for us. I can't even imagine what kind of stupor I'd be in if I even had the break-even number of drinks a day. Congrats to those of you who can justify your purchase and, obviously, handle your liquor better than my wife and I.