Sailing HAL, looking for advice!

Hi everyone! My partner turns 50 this December so I'm in the beginning stages of planning a surprise cruise for him aboard the ms Eurodam. We depart December 17 for Half Moon Cay, Falmouth, Georgetown and Cozumel before returning to Fort Lauderdale.

I paid my deposit this week so it is starting to feel "real", and I'm looking for advice from people who have sailed with HAL/on the Eurodam in the past. I'm going to throw some random questions out there:

My travel agent somehow got us $600 onboard credits, can I use those to book spa treatments this far in advance? I've read that it may behoove me to wait until I'm onboard to take advantage of special deals, which is fine, but I would feel more comfortable knowing we had set spa reservations.

Once I book spa treatments, are we allowed access to the Thermal Suite and Thalassotherapy Pool? Or, more specifically, what does come with spa/massage treatments?

We are currently on the open dining plan. Pros and cons?

Shore Excursions are a daunting (and expensive) idea. I know we will want to take advantage of our ports, but would we be content hooving it on our own?

I think that's it for now! Obviously I'm very excited for this surprise and my mind is racing with ideas, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to throw in your own words of wisdom.

Oh, we are guaranteed at least a level SY suite while onboard.

Welcome FirstTimer! Though we have not cruised on HAL, you will certainly get better responses if you do post on their thread. Also, we are big advocates for "hoofing" it on our own in most ports. If you do your due diligence and read about what others have done at those ports, you will have a much better idea if the port is one where you can grab a cab or bus and go to a beach, or shopping, or to some specific thing of interest to you. My only hesitation would be Falmouth. We have not bee there, but did go to Montego Bay once and, next time, will stay on the ship! One other little bit of advice, especially if you do decide to go off on your own - know and understand what "ship's time" is and don't test the theory that if you are late getting back to the dock, you may get to see how your ship looks as it sails away into the sunset!! :eek:

Keep asking questions and read, read, read! Hope you have a great fist cruise experience!!

:hearteyes:

Wow, what a cornucopia of wisdom I've stumbled upon. Thank you all for your help and feedback! I will continue to consider the pros and cons of open dining vs set, and will wait until Joel knows about the trip to talk shore excursions and spa bookings since they can both be planned onboard.

POI1, reading your live report from last year kept me up until 3am last night in rapt anticipation.

Thanks for your expertise everyone.