Norwegian Getaway

Hi, I have never sailed on Norwegian but I have been a member of CC for years. SO, I know this is where to come for excellent advice.

A friend of mine just booked a TA on the Getaway for an October sailing.

She only cruised once before and is questioning herself about the choice.

I have sailed RCCL, Celebrity. And I mainly sail Celebrity.

I read the reviews, by members, about the Getaway and most where given a 3 out of 5 stars. Because of this, I don't know how to make her fears go away.

I would like to hear the positive and negative comments.

Thank you much:)

Hi, I have never sailed on Norwegian but I have been a member of CC for years. SO, I know this is where to come for excellent advice.

I read the reviews, by members, about the Getaway and most where given a 3 out of 5 stars. Because of this, I don't know how to make her fears go away.

SaveSave

I did the original Transatlantic Crossing on The Getaway in January 2014 from Southampton, United Kingdom to new York City. Wonderful cruise.

This past January, I completed my 12th cruise on Her and will be back in November.

Love the ship and her staff. Tell your friend not to worry about whatever people say. People on the same cruise can easily have a different experiences. Relax and enjoy.

I sailed the NCL Getaway in January, and LOVED the ship! So much, I rebooked for January 2018, and have other family members joining us. I fell in love with Freestyle Cruising! My previous cruise experience has been on Regent, Carnival, and RCCL before trying NCL this past January. I do not know how anyone could rate this ship for anything less than 5 stars! Your friend should love it, too! My favorite complimentary area was O'Sheehan's!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I sailed on the Getaway this past September, and it was my first cruise on NCL. I loved it! Previously I have cruised on Carnival (where I am Platinum), Princess, and Royal Caribbean. So I have cruise a lot. I have to say that Norwegian is now my new favorite line. One of my regular travel companions cruised on one of Norwegian's older ships five years ago, and said it was "okay". But she loved the Getaway. In fact we are booked on the Escape for this September. In my opinion, the food on Getaway is far superior to what I've had on Carnival and Royal in recent years. Princess' food is comparable, but I haven't been on Princess since 2013, and I've heard from friends that their food quality has dipped in the last couple of years. The pool decks on our Getaway Caribbean cruise were very crowded. Kinda kept me from going up there, but there was plenty else to do. But, I thought the entertainment was very good: the music in the Atrium lobby and the shows in the main showroom were very good. The service on the ship was stellar in my opinion. We really enjoyed the Getaway.

I reviewed the Getaway on my blog- it is my favorite ship! We have sailed twice on her and have a third trip planned for next year!

http://thecheerfulcruiser.blogspot.com/2016/06/norwegian-getaway-review.html

Save

Along with the responses here, you might want to read some of the reviews. There are probably a few other threads asking similar questions, but they are sometimes hard to identify because folks are not always descriptive in their titles/subject line.

Past cruise reviews would really be the best for you and your friend. Really best if your friend reads them.

Have never been on the Getaway - yet. However in October we'll be on the TA, our 13th total, tenth with NCL. DW and I are eagerly awaiting our cruise on a new ship (for us). We have no preconceived ideas how she compares to the other NCL ships we've cruised on, and who really cares. We'll make it a good cruise, maybe even a great one.

As son of a son ... mentioned, the passengers on a TA are indeed a different (agreeable) kind of breed.

A little off topic, but we are crusing on the Getaway in July in the Baltic, so potentially cooler weather. my mother is wondering if the pools are usable when weather is mild, say mid 60's, do they have heat lamps, covered areas?

A little off topic, but we are crusing on the Getaway in July in the Baltic, so potentially cooler weather. my mother is wondering if the pools are usable when weather is mild, say mid 60's, do they have heat lamps, covered areas?

Nope no heat lamps, they're pretty protected but still get cold...

I'd stay in the hot tub ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I read the reviews, by members, about the Getaway and most where given a 3 out of 5 stars. Because of this, I Is where Iwill spen don't know how to make her fears go away.

I am on that TA and I have read all the "quirky" comments too. But a TA is about being out on the sea for consecutive sea-days. You are not going to have to worry about get off early for excursions, or getting back on time for diner. Some folks get uptight about their food and reservations. I'll plan to eat early or eat late when the crowds will be less, O'Sheehan's is always open, and I will maybe skip the MDR for a few meals there.

I rarely take part in the entertainment and shows, but I have read that the entertainment on the Getaway is very good. I am interested in the waterfront bars and restaurants. There is a Blues/Jazz place there, and several bars with the open veranda. I think there is a bake shop there too. Now that might be a problem for me

H2O Spice next to Margaritaville is where I will spend many hours and sample "a few" margaritas. I wish this was not an up-sale food place, but I will get a couple of Cheese-Burgers and Volcano Nachos. I most likely will buy the Spa Pass so I can get pool time away from the noise. [Those first 5 days might be cool on the deck.] The pool area sounds stressful, and much of what I think would be open deck area is taken up by the Haven. I do not know about your friend, but I might try the water slide, once.

This will be our second TA and for us it is about not having to do anything and living "down" to that expectation.

We sailed the Getaway last September- we had been debating the merits of cruises for YEARS but decided to give it a shot - and FELL IN LOVE with it. The ship was fantastic, the staff superb, and the experience unforgettable! We have two more cruises booked! She will have a blast. I do think the mindset might be different on a TA - maybe more relaxing, spa time, book reading time - but maybe not. There were so many things to do!

Sent from my XT1575 using Forums mobile app

We are also on the TA in Oct! I sailed on the Getaway in 2014 and it's a great ship that should have plenty to do for the crossing I think (this will be our first TA). My only gripe about the ship is the main pool area and how it was designed, beyond ridiculously small and poorly laid out. Looking forward to the trip though!