Whispering Along -Barcelona to Southhamptom

Camillus112

Hi Terry, hope you are fine and dandy!

With respect to Lisbon, we docked in the Santa Apolonia pier, around two miles from Praca de Comercio, the entryway into the town center. There are lovely pedestrian streets with many shops and cafés. One culinary delight is the cod fritter stuffed with local cheese. But this second to Sardinha na brasa, fried or grilled fresh sardines. For shopping, leather goods and linens... beautiful and reasonably priced. Hope you pay attention to the tiles... incredible tile works!

Today is Bilbao. We had already visited the Guggenheim, so decided to visit the Fine Arts Museum, with paintings by El Greco and two major Spanish painters (Sorolla and Zuloaga), among others).

Now, Bilbao is NOT A PORT CITY. It takes around a 30 minute drive inland to reach a city much like Madrid. It's architecture is noteworthy and so are its culinary delicacies. I believe it's a city better enjoyed in a land tour; it does not share the charm of sea ports that we expect while on a cruise.

BTW, I forgot if I previously mentioned the salt grinder saga, firstly noted by another CC'er. The worse culprits are on the pool deck. Had the very good sliders with French fries for lunch. Could not eat the fries, after trying several grinders. Unsalted fries are not for me!!

Had the very good sliders with French fries for lunch.

Can you tell me what sliders are? In Belfast a slider is an oblong block of ice cream served between two wafers - I suspect the meaning across the pond is somewhat different?

Thank you JP and Jeff for standing up for me in my absence from the thread.

Today is Bordeaux, wonderful Bordeaux! Our view from the suite is outstanding. I can see the two spires from the Gothic cathedral, and have in front the lovely building of the Bourse Maritime.

We will go on a ship's excursion today, and will go on our own tomorrow. We plan on in room dining with the best Bordeaux wine we can find... and pay for.

Camels, make sure you see St-Émilion. The setting is spectacular.

You can go to the visitor center and ask for the key to the bell tower of the church (le clé du clocher), and climb it for a gorgeous view.

Also, on the edge of town there is a ruined monastery. It's now an open air wine bar. Grab a glass or a bottle of crémant de Bordeaux, sit outside, sip and enjoy! It's called Les Cordeliers. http://www.lescordeliers.com

Then, hit up one of the many wine shops, taste, and bring a great bottle back to the ship for dinner. I like your plan!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Sorry, the internet not so good but ahead of me.

We stopped at Chateau Larrivet Haute- Brion for an explanation of the wine making process and a tasting. I did not like the white offered, but did like the 2013 red and bought a bottle to enjoy with our food in our room overlooking city center.

This morning we went to walk through all ( goodness, I think we walked all) the rues et cours in the city center. We made a special stop at Cadiot-Badie, Chocolateurs, and DH, who usually disciplines himself with respect to sweets, insisted on trying several samples before deciding on a box for our grandchildren.

We then stopped at L'Intendant for purchasing wine, at the recommendation of a local. We bought a 2012 Paullac, Réserve de la Comtesse, and a 2008 Saint-Estèphe, La Dame de Montrose.

We also stopped at the Cathèdral de Saint André and spent some time just breathing its medieval and early gothic ambiance. Thinking of the enthusiasm and determination it took to build such a cathedral, how can we be complacent with the civilization we are building today?

Lastly, we walked the largest pedestrian retail street. I truly wanted to buy something from Galleries Lafayette, but anything from Lord & Taylor would be half the price, and I'm getting stingy in my mature years...

It all sounds splendidly wonderful!

Thank you for taking the time to post.

I looked online to view your current location and noticed the weather is chilly and rainy, but apparently not enough to dampen your spirits! And you bought some nice spirits to enjoy as well.

Speaking of spirits, are you doing your water sprite routine in the pool and have you persuaded anyone else to join you?

The chocolate sounds yummy. Lovely treat for the DH and of course, the grandchildren.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Dear Spins, the weather in this cruise has been horrible! We've had very chilly and rainy weather most of the time. I decided not to venture again into the swimming pool, since it has been even worse than the days out of Barcelona. I'm glad I could enjoy a day of windy, so-so weather and swim.

The weather has not deterred us from walking, but it has not been nice.

Tomorrow is a sea day before Saint Malo. If weather does not change, I'll be found in the treadmill dead of boredom, but looking forward of what I will eat and drink to compensate for the burnt calories. More to follow.

Small world, Camels. My little brother (the University Professor who lives in Denmark) is in St-Malo for work this very week. You might see him. I'll tell him to look for your ship and take a picture if he sees it. You're there on Monday? Or tomorrow (Sunday)? With the time difference and the jet lag I can't be sure... Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

JP, we arrive in Saint Malo tomorrow Sunday. What a coincidence your brother will be there as well! If he hears a Spanish speaking couple in town please tell him to stop us to say hello. A Spanish lady living in Bordeaux stopped us on the street and we were very happy at the opportunity of chit chatting a bit. I'm very much looking forward to your posts from Prague; it's a city on our bucket list.

Tomorrow is a sea day before Saint Malo. If weather does not change, I'll be found in the treadmill dead of boredom, but looking forward of what I will eat and drink to compensate for the burnt calories. More to follow.

Sorry to hear of the weather challenges as you have sailed up the Atlantic coast. Hope your weather, especially for St. Malo, gets better. AND, most important, please flip the "switch" to make sure in June that we get better weather conditions as we start on June 14 in going from Lisbon to Rouen. Let us know what you end up doing for Saint Malo. Following with interest.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 31,771 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Today we tendered to Saint Malo, probably too early, since today is Sunday. But how wonderful to have the walled town all to ourselves! We walked the stone paved streets, admiring the display windows of the patisseries. The creperies were unfortunately all closed. We then went up on the wall walk and admired the view of the deserted beaches, and the sea enclosure that formed an inviting swimming pool. Today is the only day, with soft wind and temperatures in the mid-60's, that I could have spent time on that or in the ship's pool, but the swimsuit will probably not dry for packing tonight, especially as all launderettes are being heavily used.

The sea is majestic and clearly blue, and I will spend the rest of the day in adoration.

Today we tendered to Saint Malo, probably too early, since today is Sunday. But how wonderful to have the walled town all to ourselves! We walked the stone paved streets, admiring the display windows of the patisseries. The creperies were unfortunately all closed. We then went up on the wall walk and admired the view of the deserted beaches, and the sea enclosure that formed an inviting swimming pool. Today is the only day, with soft wind and temperatures in the mid-60's, that I could have spent time on that or in the ship's pool, but the swimsuit will probably not dry for packing tonight, especially as all launderettes are being heavily used. The sea is majestic and clearly blue, and I will spend the rest of the day in adoration.

Appreciate these wonderful comments and and details from Camillus112. Sounds super great there for your exploring in and around St Malo. Looking forward so much to this port and the nearby opportunities to experience this part of France. Keep it coming with these exciting aspects of your adventure.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 50,925 views for these postings.

Waiting for our debarkation color to be called and saying good by to so many nice people and wonderful crew. I will post a summary review in the official Reviews Section of Cruise Critics.

Hasta la vista!!!

I second that Silver Spectre.

Luke has a wonderful team with him, and they have worked virtually 24/7 since joining the ship in December 2016.

May we wish them a fabulous relaxed vacation, and we look forward to seeing them again soon.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Thanks, Spins, will offer comments later. And, yes, the Voices team deserve a rest. Now, there are two Lukes in the team. We had the opportunity to interact with Luke Murgatroyd... is he the team leader? This Luke is a very nice, talented person.