Embarkation check in for CB/Southampton

oatbagg1

we did get an email from Princess saying they board by deck, which would put us at 3pm.

if we show up earlier, is that a problem? We've always embarked by noon before.

We recently sailed out of Southampton on the Caribbean Princess. We boarded when we got there, but we were also on a Princess transfer from a hotel since we arrived a few days early. Now, we were told by the check-in person to go and sit in a certain section and we would be called to board, but we just walked right on the ship. It seems like the boarding times are just a suggestion. I hope this helps! Enjoy your trip!

Why bother to give people times if they are only advisory not mandatory?

Hello Mike,

Princess is attempting to spread out the embarkation process to allow for a smooth entry without long lines and waits. They do not have the arrival times of all of the passengers so their suggestions are exactly that, suggestions. If those passengers who may be arriving later or are locally positioned could wait a bit later, it allows those who are arriving earlier to board and it frees the later arrivals to board line free.

Regards,

Tom

Why bother to give people times if they are only advisory not mandatory?

Princess simply sends out a bulk e-mail advising you to arrive later if you wish as a method to reduce crowding. If they didn't add any suggested times I doubt anyone would give the message a second glance; people by nature are somewhat inclined to follow a guide if given one, even when totally optional. But it hardly compares with the cruise lines that require you to select a specific time in your cruise personalizer that you may not check in earlier than, such as Carnival at most of its US ports and apparently some of the UK or Europe based lines when they embark in Southampton.

I paid for that day so I plan to board the ship when I arrive...especially when I have arrived on a cruise line transfer. They chose the time, not me. If I was driving myself I'd still board when I choose. Again, I'm paying for that day just like everyone else. Besides, I've never heard of a situation where all passengers showed up at the same time. There are always people who show up late to everything.