Trip Insurance

I live in Florida and only need trip insurance for if I get sick and can't go or my car breaks down on the way to the port.

I've looked at insure my trip but I can't find just a basic one.

I don't need the medical insurance as I have a yearly one for trips.

I normally don't get trip cancellation insurance because the price of the cruise is minimal.

I'm in a grand suite solo so I wouldn't want to lose that amount of money.

Are there any companies out there that let you build your own policy?

Any specific companies for recommendations?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm with you on choosing LIMITED insurance. I drive to the port and carry my own luggage onboard, so I'm not interested in paying for lost luggage insurance, and -- yes -- I know that my health insurance will reimburse me for medical costs. I always arrive a day ahead, so I'm not overly concerned about trip interruption insurance (though I would consider it if I were traveling in an expensive room during the winter months). I do, however, want emergency evacuation insurance.

I just call my regular insurance carrier (the one who's covered my cars and houses for 30 years) and have them write a short-term policy. I get to choose exactly what I want and don't want.

Have you checked trip insurance coverage on the credit card you may have used to pay for the cruise. Many cards offer automatic coverage for what you are referring to simply for purchasing cruise with the card.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have you checked trip insurance coverage on the credit card you may have used to pay for the cruise. Many cards offer automatic coverage for what you are referring to simply for purchasing cruise with the card.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Costco visa provides trip cancellation and interruption insurance up to $3,000 PP or the amount you charged on your visa card to pay for the cruise. We pay for all our cruises now with that visa card and don't have to buy cancellation ins. We also have a yearly medical policy,

I'm with you on choosing LIMITED insurance. I drive to the port and carry my own luggage onboard, so I'm not interested in paying for lost luggage insurance, and -- yes -- I know that my health insurance will reimburse me for medical costs. I always arrive a day ahead, so I'm not overly concerned about trip interruption insurance (though I would consider it if I were traveling in an expensive room during the winter months). I do, however, want emergency evacuation insurance.

I just call my regular insurance carrier (the one who's covered my cars and houses for 30 years) and have them write a short-term policy. I get to choose exactly what I want and don't want.

That is exactly all we need! Same instance as you.

Can I ask an approximate amt it cost you for that for a 7 day cruise?u

My T.A just quoted $213 for 2 of us

That is exactly all we need! Same instance as you.

Can I ask an approximate amt it cost you for that for a 7 day cruise?u

My T.A just quoted $213 for 2 of us

It does depend on age. We only get medical (we have Medicare and a supplement) and evacuation and ours was 110.00. This time we went through squaremouth and sometimes use insure my trip. Global Alert I believe.

It does depend on age. We only get medical (we have Medicare and a supplement) and evacuation and ours was 110.00. This time we went through squaremouth and sometimes use insure my trip. Global Alert I believe.

We also used Squaremouth for evacuation insurance for our upcoming cruise. The options we chose came out to about $68 total for the two of us.

We also used Squaremouth for evacuation insurance for our upcoming cruise. The options we chose came out to about $68 total for the two of us.

I like your price better. Does it include primary medical? Are you over 65?

I like your price better. Does it include primary medical? Are you over 65?

Policy includes emergency medical as secondary coverage. I do have Medicare and supplement Plan F and my wife has private insurance. The Plan F supplement covers 80% after a $250 deductible for international emergency medical costs, based on what Medicare would have paid if the illness had happened in the U.S.

Edited by skid10

Policy includes emergency medical as secondary coverage. I do have Medicare and supplement Plan F and my wife has private insurance. The Plan F supplement covers 80% after a $250 deductible for international emergency medical costs, based on what Medicare would have paid if the illness had happened in the U.S.

We have insurance through my Teacher Retirement in IL and it is United Healthcare which follows Medicare rules. So we really don't have insurance out of states. Medicare pays nothing for out of states. I get primary insurance and evacuation for our cruising trips.

Medicare does not cover you when out of US.I get cruise CXL via Costco Visa card and I purchase a medical,evacuation and repatriation policy for my upcoming cruise.

Thanks for the clarification, Mollyeilis. Maybe this should be for a different forum, but in addition to out of country medical coverage and a lot of other features, the supplemental Plan F also covers the Medicare Part B deductible and excess charges. It is a GREAT plan

That's true and we have plan F with BCBS. But it only covers up to $50,000 and that's for life. Each time you use it the balance will go down. I wish that they would realize that just because we are older, we aren't house bound!!

That's true and we have plan F with BCBS. But it only covers up to $50,000 and that's for life. Each time you use it the balance will go down. I wish that they would realize that just because we are older, we aren't house bound!!

Torpeedo: If I am not mistaken, the $50,000 lifetime maximum applies to medical expenses incurred outside the U.S. only. I was not sure if you meant that or in general.

Torpeedo: If I am not mistaken, the $50,000 lifetime maximum applies to medical expenses incurred outside the U.S. only. I was not sure if you meant that or in general.

Yes that's right, I did mean outside of the US!! DH has already used some of that $50,000

Medicare does NOT pay outside of the US and a secondary insurance does NOT pay for anything if Medicare does not pay primary. I know this from personal experience. My husband had a stroke in Acapulco and had to have a Medivac flight back to the US. To the tune of $24,000. dollars. Called Medicare and told NO payments outside of the US and its territories. Then called our secondary insurance which I knew had emergency evacuation insurance and was told that if Medicare would not pay neither would they. What a learning experience!!

Medicare does NOT pay outside of the US and a secondary insurance does NOT pay for anything if Medicare does not pay primary. I know this from personal experience. My husband had a stroke in Acapulco and had to have a Medivac flight back to the US. To the tune of $24,000. dollars. Called Medicare and told NO payments outside of the US and its territories. Then called our secondary insurance which I knew had emergency evacuation insurance and was told that if Medicare would not pay neither would they. What a learning experience!!

I am so sorry for your experience. The supplemental plan F does pay for situations like yours. What they do is base their coverage on what Medicare would have paid IF the costs were incurred in the US. You can check this out with your insurer and if affordable for you possibly sign up at the next open enrollment. In the meantime, you can look here for information on the plan. I have mine through AARP who processes through United Health Care. Hope this helps.

https://www.senior65.com/medicare/article/medigap-plan-f-details