Live from Serenade of the Seas (May 20, 2017 to May 27, 2017 - Baltic Cruise)

Did you happen to take a picture of the Compass for the sea day?

I brought all of the compasses home with me and plan to scan and post them over the weekend - just haven't had time yet.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Thanks Rubyfisch. We will be on Serenade on 14 June. Loving your blog and info. We will be staying at Ascot pre cruise so we enjoyed your info on the hotel too. Were there any theme parties?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There was a 70s party, but we didn't go to it. Can't remember why ... I feel like it conflicted with something.

Also, just so you know, there are two grocery stores right around the corner from the Ascot. Rema 1000 is a fairly cheap place - good for snacks and such. Danish bread is delicious and they have a nice selection. Cheap fruit as well. Irma is fancier (kind of Trader Joe's level). We picked up some gifts there. They also have a great selection of beer (by the single bottle) and wine. My father and I got a beer to split the night were at the Ascot and then I got two bottles of wine for 30 USD total to bring onboard.

Didembarking went fairly smoothly, other than trying to get in the elevator with a wheelchair was kind of a pain. We ended up just riding up to ride down. Our luggage was waiting for us when we got off the boat ... but then things took a turn for the stressful.

We had rented a car from Budget, which said it had a location at the cruiseport. Turns out, it doesn't. I went to the information booth and a very nice woman worked there said that Budget had a reputation for not delivering cars. She called them for me and spoke very sternly to them in Danish. She got them to agree to pay for a cab to the center city location. We got in the cab line, which moved super quickly and headed downtown. Navigating between the bicycles with spotty 2G service was a bit of adventure, but totally worth it. The Danish countryside was lovely.

Thanks Rubyfisch! So what was your favorite part of cruise?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's a hard one. We loved Tallinn. I highly recommend climbing to the top of St. Olaf's (it is 237 winding, narrow stairs, so not for the faint of heart). The Stockholm archipelago is also awesome - if it is supposed to be clear, set your alarm for 5 am and watch at least a little of it, from both the top of the ship and from the Deck 5 walkway. Sailaway from Stockholm is equally stunning.

A short drive out of Copenhagen is Frederiksborg Castle, which is absolutely stunning and worth drive. It is also almost completely handicapped accessible. We got there around ten, which means it was relatively uncrowded. As we were leaving, the tour buses were arriving ... with the crowds.5682f42bc361944c1298759b3bebe275.jpgc7b58286376051f30261e6558dd4a194.jpg0e8335c3e81eb8ea1c25f0255b7069cb.jpg11965943976b87a23ab46256bb097499.jpg8344e650545b0dba2ef733c2ba059a01.jpg4545a80ca4a3c91a34166591d06af8a6.jpg

We stayed at the Copenhagen Island Hotel, which was modern, well appointed and comfortable - and completely inconvenient to most things, particularly without a car. There was a mall next to it, with plenty of restaurants and a grocery store. At this point, we were tired enough we didn't really care. Returning the car was about as much of a disater as getting it, and checking bags with British Airways is a truly painful experience. Given all the troubles they had on Saturday, we considered ourselves very lucky to make it home just about on time. I live a five minute cab ride from Logan - which made getting that last little bit totally painless.

I'm going to post a summary and some final thoughts tomorrow, and the compasses (possibly in a separate thread to make it eaiser for people to find). I really appreciate everyone's kind words about my posts, particularly about the pictures, as it is my artistic release.

Thank you for all your beautiful pictures and details of of your cruise! We are sailing on the Serenade on July 2nd, and all your information is very helpful and provided a new level of excitement for our adventure. Thank you for sharing with us!

Sorry - I have meant for the past week to post a final summary - but life and such got in the way ... anyhow, here it is:

Summary

The Ship

I don't have anything to compare it to, as it was my first cruise, but I thought she was a lovely vessel. People who say she shows her age are not exactly wrong - the upholstery is getting a little bit tired and anything that spends that much time at sea is going to get rusty. But the maintenance people were constantly cleaning, scraping, painting, etc. It never felt crowded (other than disembarkation morning ... but that seems like it is inevitable). All the glass is beautiful, there are plenty of spots to relax, the layout seems pretty good. One tip - on deck 5 it is way, way easier to get through on the outside walkway than cutting through the shops.

My Shipmates

Again, nothing to compare it to, but I am fairly certain this cruise slanted well older than average cruise. My parents, in their mid-sixties, felt like they were younger than the average person on the ship. There were very, very few children - like maybe a dozen on the entire ship. I think we were before the height of the Baltic cruise season, and most kids aren't out of school yet. The cruise was also much more international than I was expecting - only about 700 of the passengers were Americans. There were a couple of big tour groups - identifiable by their matching lanyards.

I will say - my fellow shipmates were not much for the party scene - the bars and public areas were nearly dead after dinner. I enjoyed basically my own private hot tub from 11 pm to midnight just about every night.

I think a solo traveler would have been somewhat lonely on this trip (coming from someone who travels alone a lot). It was not as social as I could have hoped, but I think that was a mixture of age, language, and the port intensive itinerary.

The Food and Beverages

Food is subjective - I know. But seriously, I live in Boston and spend a fair amount of time in New York City and love to cook - I thought the food was interesting, beautifully presented, and on the whole - pretty darn good. Were there some things I did not like, yes (I would not recommend the Chicken Cordon bleu and one of many pieces of fish I had had some bones). The free coffee was somewhere between so-so and kind of tasteless, but the not free coffee is quite good. So all-in-all, I have literally no idea what the people who say it is worse the Golden Corral are taking about ... there was something for everyone.

My father and I had breakfast in Windjammer every morning. The variety was fantastic (seriously, try the semolina thing and the Indian crepes). We generally went early, and it was not particularly crowded. We say back on the fantail (bring a a jacket). My mother doesn't like breakfast that much, or humanity before her first cup of coffee, so while my father got ready every morning, I ran up to the Park Cafe and got her coffee, yogurt, and pastries. I know we could have gotten room service, but it took me five minutes, and I could what looked good. One note - the muffins, regardless of flavor, taste the same. We joked they were muffin-flavored muffins.

We only ate lunch on board a couple of times - in the MDR the first sea day and in Windjammer days six and seven. I am not sure why everyone gets so excited about the Tutti salad bar - I thought it was just okay. But then again my office cafeteria had a fantastic salad bar with locally sourced, rotating options, so perhaps my standard are too high. Both lunches in Windjammer were quite good as well.

Snacks were generally not an issue - Park Cafe was open when I wanted something, from embarkation day when I get some carrot cake and key lime pie for my parents (their respective favorite desserts), to late night snacks. Windjammer also was open for snacks on port days - the scones were excellent. The one day there was an issue was in St. Petersburg, but I blame that on the lack of ability to eat in port more than anything else.

I have to say, I was not expecting to drink much, and even still drank less than I planned - we had two bottles of wine and a free bottle of sparkling wine from our travel agent. Other than that, I bought a drink my first night and a spiked hot chocolate at the Stockholm sale-away. Had I been with my friends rather my parents, I feel like it may have been different, but the early mornings kept the shenanigans to a minimum.

Summary - Continued

The Entertainment

We went to see the show in theater all but two nights. The singers and dancers were great, and Topi, the cruise director, has surprising singing talents. The theater was a little crowded the nights there was only one show, but otherwise no complaints. We went trivia and some of the other day time activities as well. I can say I was never bored. We thought about going to the movies a couple of times, but it never ended up happening.

The Ports

Copenhagen - Lovely city. Watch out for the bicycles, the bike lanes, opening car doors, etc. Tivoli at night is must (even if it is more expensive on Friday night than any other time). Eat Danish. No seriously. And bread. And skip the overpriced restaurants (that pretty much goes for all of Nordic Europe). Explore the grocery stores.

Stockholm - Take a boat on the rivers. Go to the Vasa (get there early). Stroll around downtown. If you have same itinerary we did, you'll be there on a Monday, and sadly a bunch of stuff is closed then. I've heard the Nobel Museum is great, but it was not open. Get up early and watch the archipelago go by - and watch at sail away.

Tallinn - We loved it. Climb to the top of St. Olaf's. Wander about the town. Eat Estonian garlic rye bread. And try the marzipan.

St. Petersburg - I am glad that I went - but I found it to be ... depressing. It was culturally fascinating and parts were beautiful, but I spent the entire convinced I was going to be pick-pocketed (something I seriously never worry about). My advice is do one six or so hour excursion and then head back the boat.

Helsinki - It's really only a half day there, but that was long enough on a day that was a national holiday. It's a pretty town to walk around (after taking the shuttle from the port). I did not think the Rock Church was worth the walk (and I find churches that charge entrance fees highly irritating - I will gladly make a donation, but don't make me).

Shopping

I am not a big shopper, but I will say, in all the ports except Stockholm, you would have been just as well off buying your souvenirs in the shops right at the port - it is the same stuff at approximately the same price, but without having to carry it anywhere. And as previously mentioned, the Russian stuff was just as nice on the ship.

Glad to help - if there is something I didn't cover, feel free to ask.

Thanks this was great, we will board the Serenade when it returns to Boston. We are on the first Cruise to Maine and Canada.

Thanks this was great, we will board the Serenade when it returns to Boston. We are on the first Cruise to Maine and Canada.

I'm thinking about one of those for the fall of 2018 ... I loved the ship, I have an outdoorsy friend who seems interested, and it's a 10 minute walk from my door to the cruiseport in Boston.

Thanks so much for this amazing review - we head over in a couple weeks for the Serenade. One question - since it was chilly but also summer - what was casual dress like on the ship? Travelling with teens and trying to decide if they will be wearing shorts when just hanging around or pants are more likely?

Thanks so much for this amazing review - we head over in a couple weeks for the Serenade. One question - since it was chilly but also summer - what was casual dress like on the ship? Travelling with teens and trying to decide if they will be wearing shorts when just hanging around or pants are more likely?

It was pretty darn cold at sea - we were in long pants and long sleeves most of the time at sea. Most people were similarly dressed (well ... some people were in winter coats ... but that seemed excessive).

• 1 month later...

I was on the July 9th cruise Baltic Serenade of the Seas and I heard the captain (who was amazing and seemed to be everywhere) say (as we were eating outside of the buffet) it was the warmest day on the Baltic this whole summer. We had beautiful weather. Sunny and in the high 60's. Only had rain for two hours one day in St. Petersburg. Our sea day was warm and sunny! That being said every port the tour guide said it had poured rain the day before. On a separate tour of Norway they said they had had 29 days of rain in a row (broke the previous record of 27 days of rain in a row) and ours was the first sunny day!

It was pretty darn cold at sea - we were in long pants and long sleeves most of the time at sea. Most people were similarly dressed (well ... some people were in winter coats ... but that seemed excessive).

My husband and I were on the Serenade the first week of July. I would describe it as windy and a little cool, but not cold for us. On excursions, I wore 3/4 length sleeves and had a light sweater I took off and on. I seldom had to wear my jacket. It's really a matter of what is cold to you! On the sea day, a lot of people did wear long sleeves/pants, others shorts. I wore a sleeveless tunic, light sweater, and leggings. Layers are the way to go! Have a great time - the itinerary is wonderful!