Live from Serenade of the Seas (May 20, 2017 to May 27, 2017 - Baltic Cruise)

If you have accessibility questions feel free to ask here or PM me.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

How accessible would you rate Tallinn for someone using a Rollator? Did you have to take a shuttle into town or was the ship docked nearby? We'll be there next week on the Serenade.

How accessible would you rate Tallinn for someone using a Rollator? Did you have to take a shuttle into town or was the ship docked nearby? We'll be there next week on the Serenade.

My mother uses a manual wheel chair (which we push more often or not). The sidewalks in the lower old town are more smooth than not, but the curb cuts are not great. We walked into town - it took maybe 15 to 20 minutes. There was a shuttle - I think it was six euro round trip. There are a few hills that a little rough, but all in all, we didn't have much trouble.

Rubyfisch, enjoy your last day at sea, and thank you for all the updates and photographs.

We leave for Copenhagen on tomorrow, Friday

Hi Norn iron, do you plan to post here on your trip? We're sailing on navigator on June 2nd taking in a lot of the same ports.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Okay - home safe and sound and all the laundry has been done amd put away, so I will attempt to finish the no-longer-live review:

Our first excursion was Panoramic St. Petersburg with Peter and Paul Fortress Territory. We had an absolutely excellent tour guide, who was in her 60s. She had lived from much of the recent history and gave her perspective on things. This was very much a ride around in traffic, hop out, take pictures, and get back on the bus type of thing, but we got to see the major cites. There was also a stop at a store with lovely but really overpriced Russian goods. For those who want a quick overview, this tour was an excellent option.

Given that customs is exceedingly slow in both directions, we were told to waiting the terminal between excursions. Therefore, we were left with the following amazing lunch options ...57b4711a2bc6083b7129ec51cfa3e404.jpg

Our second excusion was the Walk along Nevsky Prospect. First, there were some issues with this one. It was advertised as a four hour tour. We left around 2 pm and returned just after 5 pm. And because of the terrible traffic only had about an hour and fifteen minutes there. The guide was also pretty terrible. On the plus side, we were free to go off on our own, which I had not thought was possible. This is where we bought most of our Russian stuff - although I kind of felt like most places were scamming tourists with inflated prices and/or fake merchandise.e219b83ecbf46ade754816c27a9ca3ff.jpg211ce1e18564aa94584323fe89a76e12.jpg62246b5d4b5ae0dc50016fec62ab316f.jpgb399fa6bbbeb630eaf88943428afe877.jpg

Thank you for your insightful comments Rubyfisch. Reading your review of the St. Petersburg tours I'm now glad we booked the Grand St. Petersburg with Hermitage (9 hour tour, including lunch) through the ship rather than the two separate ones as you did. We looked at doing it that way too.

Any currency issues in Russia?

Thank you for your insightful comments Rubyfisch. Reading your review of the St. Petersburg tours I'm now glad we booked the Grand St. Petersburg with Hermitage (9 hour tour, including lunch) through the ship rather than the two separate ones as you did. We looked at doing it that way too.

Any currency issues in Russia?

We had some rubbles as we were nervous using our credit cards in Russia. Honestly, we didn't see much we wanted to buy. In retrospect, I think I might have bought my trinkets from the Russian bazaar on the ship. The prices were similar and the quality seemed higher. My mother and I both bought amber jewelry from the ship.

Day 6 was Helsinki - which is really only a half day, as we arrived at 7 am and left at 2 pm. Also, it was Ascention Thursday, so most things were closed. That being said, we did most of thr Rick Steve's walking tour. We went to the big department store and strolled through the grocery store in the basement. I bought some amazing strawberries that we ate before we got back on the boat. We used the shuttle bus - definitely worth the 12 dollars per person, as the port is in the middle of nowhere.5dfca026158c16a452af67a6e4d0db24.jpgc1415bcddb833fb935e9f196f23216a5.jpg24b161b5e557bc749966ca043dc37cbb.jpg223ad2ff92ed6d5b91b532a55b8e330d.jpgdd7a2f9ed422800925dc5488ae9a5711.jpgeeefd389a139aa890e9f4b24d17c2a34.jpg

Were the formal nights #2 & 6?

What was the attire the rest of the nights? I want to reassure my wife that young teens can go to MDR in jeans or khakis with dress shirts on the non-formal nights.

Were the formal nights #2 & 6?

What was the attire the rest of the nights? I want to reassure my wife that young teens can go to MDR in jeans or khakis with dress shirts on the non-formal nights.

Yes - 2 and 6. On non-formal nights, most of the men were in khakis and a collared shirt (a mix of polos and dress shirts). I work capris and blouses most nights and a dress once. There were a few people in jeans, but not many.

So yes, khakis, dress shirts, polos, capris, and sundresses are all just fine.

Thanks for the great information. Anything you forgot to bring and should have? Or anything you would have done differently?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I wish I had brought my other pair of flip flops. I only brought the plastic $1.99 from Old Navy pair I uses for pools, beaches, and hostel showers. I ended up wearing them more than I planned to, every time I wad running about the ship.

I think in Russia I might have done one longer excursion, rather than two short ones.

I never tried breakfast in the MDR, but there is always next time.

I'm going to a summary once I finish up with my day-by-day (hopefully tomorrow or Friday) of what I learnt and suggestions.

Our last sea day was relaxing, but also sad as it was time to go home. We really enjoyed the parade of nations. I spent a lot of time at the pool, and far too much time trying to cram everything back into our suitcases.66e87e3634507520df3ad1bdf6dac363.jpgcc500d697c3f6d6da6d946e2ed94ed50.jpg