Understanding HAL's Wine Packages

• 1 month later...

I was doing real well with all the wine package discussions and the research on what wines were in the Navigator and Admiral pkgs. Then along comes my cruise documents for my Asia Pacific cruise this October and there are TWO MORE pkgs offering 12, 24,36 bottles called Compass Premium and Compass! Bottles to be selected from the premium or standard lists but no wineries or varietals were listed. Wine prices are $5 to $10 per bottle cheaper. Can't find a list any where and HAL customer svc has not responded. Anyone know anything about these pkgs? Seems I can only order the Compass pkgs on line ahead of time. Any info would be appreciated.

I was doing real well with all the wine package discussions and the research on what wines were in the Navigator and Admiral pkgs. Then along comes my cruise documents for my Asia Pacific cruise this October and there are TWO MORE pkgs offering 12, 24,36 bottles called Compass Premium and Compass! Bottles to be selected from the premium or standard lists but no wineries or varietals were listed. Wine prices are $5 to $10 per bottle cheaper. Can't find a list any where and HAL customer svc has not responded. Anyone know anything about these pkgs? Seems I can only order the Compass pkgs on line ahead of time. Any info would be appreciated.

I believe these are the same packages but offered in larger volume at a discounted price because of the length of your cruise. I haven't had the benefit of having them offered even on 30 day cruises but from what I have read here the Premium is the Admiral with more bottles and the Compass plain is the Navigator.

Hopefully someone else who has had them can confirm but I would be tempted to call HAL to clarify for this one just to make sure.

I believe these are the same packages but offered in larger volume at a discounted price because of the length of your cruise. I haven't had the benefit of having them offered even on 30 day cruises but from what I have read here the Premium is the Admiral with more bottles and the Compass plain is the Navigator.

Hopefully someone else who has had them can confirm but I would be tempted to call HAL to clarify for this one just to make sure.

Thanks Kazu! I got that impression but was not sure. HAL has not responded to email sent last week so if nothing definitive pops up here, I'll call. Always appreciate your comments! :)

• 8 months later...

I realize this is an old thread, but last Fall on Oosterdam we participated in a 'premium' wine tasting event near the Ocean Bar (not the one in the MDR) that was awesome. I believe it cost us about $25 each, and was well worth it!

Does anyone know whether Eurodam (which we're sailing later this year) offers a similar premium wine tasting event for a fee, even if you don't have one of the wine packages where it's included?

We really hope so, because we'll be all over it!:D

Yes, last fall while onboard the Eurodam, I participated in 3 wine tasting events during my 7 day cruise. There was a tasting featuring the navigator package selections, the premium and also a port & sherry tasting. I enjoyed the port & sherry tasting the most.

The navigator tasting was held in the MDR and the most largely attended as 4 & 5 stars get free admission. The premium was held in the Tamarind and was attended by approximately 25 people. The port tasting was held in the Pinnacle bar and attended by 10 people.

There was a charge for each event. I was able to use my beverage card to pay for the sessions.

Yes, last fall while onboard the Eurodam, I participated in 3 wine tasting events during my 7 day cruise. There was a tasting featuring the navigator package selections, the premium and also a port & sherry tasting. I enjoyed the port & sherry tasting the most.

The navigator tasting was held in the MDR and the most largely attended as 4 & 5 stars get free admission. The premium was held in the Tamarind and was attended by approximately 25 people. The port tasting was held in the Pinnacle bar and attended by 10 people.

There was a charge for each event. I was able to use my beverage card to pay for the sessions.

Thanks TrolleyGirl, that is great news. We're really looking forward to these events on our upcoming Eurodam sailing! :D

Sounds about right. Try to get a copy of the wine package list from your ship a month or so before you sail. That way you can look up the ratings before you sail. I usually "run the numbers" against Wine Spectator, Wine Advocate,

What a great idea! Thanks!!!

How do we get this info from our ship? And do we have to specify the cruise? Would a Grand Voyage perhaps have a different selection of wines?