Understanding HAL's Wine Packages

We've done that on our last two cruises and it has worked very well for us. Typically, we only spend around $400 for the two of us on beverages for a seven day cruise. And, that was for cruises where we only carried aboard two bottles.

We don't drink much on our last night so we bring six bottles on board. We drive to the port and we stop by our favorite wine shop where they know what we would like. Works great for us. We picked up six bottles for around $180 (very good upscale wines which would have cost a fortune on board.) The corkage was $72. Much cheaper than a beverage package or their wine package and much better wines.

Is HAL okay with just carrying on wine? I have a few things I might like to bring but want to compare the price in the store vs. their list prices if anyone knows where I can pull up a full wine list with prices. Thanks!

Is HAL okay with just carrying on wine? I have a few things I might like to bring but want to compare the price in the store vs. their list prices if anyone knows where I can pull up a full wine list with prices. Thanks!

Of course you can carry on wine. Your first bottle (per person if a couple) is free and after that is $18 corkage fee per bottle.

Are you looking for prices by the bottle or the Navigation and Admiral packages? Big difference in pricing IMO.

Of course you can carry on wine. Your first bottle (per person if a couple) is free and after that is $18 corkage fee per bottle.

Are you looking for prices by the bottle or the Navigation and Admiral packages? Big difference in pricing IMO.

I was more interested in finding a list of their wines to see if I might need to bring my own or if they have a selection of my preferences - Cunard is heavy on European wines which aren't really to my liking. Just trying to locate a general wine list rather than the package allowances. Thanks : )

I was more interested in finding a list of their wines to see if I might need to bring my own or if they have a selection of my preferences - Cunard is heavy on European wines which aren't really to my liking. Just trying to locate a general wine list rather than the package allowances. Thanks : )

There is a general list here . Prices might have changed a bit but the wine listing is very similar to today's.

I thought POA1 had a listing on his website too but I can't find it. It may be in one of his live threads.

There is a general list here . Prices might have changed a bit but the wine listing is very similar to today's.

I thought POA1 had a listing on his website too but I can't find it. It may be in one of his live threads.

Here you go. There's a scanned PDF of the MDR wine list from December on the Eurodam. Odds are that some of the wines have changed, but HAL usually substitutes something very similar.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s88/sh/08b0000d-60cb-4efc-9ad0-a3fa8b1b0c13/4fb5426dfe13b798a7725cdd922264d1

Roger Jett has some good information on his site here..

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/hal-beverage-menus/

• 1 month later...

Super helpful thread! I and my mom both like wine, so was considering the cellar masters but wasn't sure if PG was worth it for her as her appetite is a bit up-and-down these days. (I am always ok with a nice steak!)

It looks like Total Wine in Ft Lauderdale has ordering online plus pick-up in store with a discount for mixing 6 or more wines.

My question is: is Cellar Masters worth it for the pampering/experience/git? or would we better off to just do our own wine?

this would be for a March 2018 Sunfarer on Zuiderdam if that makes a difference.

So where is the corkage charged, at embarkation or dining room?

So where is the corkage charged, at embarkation or dining room?

They'll sticker your wine at embarkation, but the charge typically shows up later from whichever bar or lounge the check in person works at. For example: If the person checking the wine works at the Pinnacle Bar and you check in a case of wine, you'll see a $180 charge from the Pinnacle Bar on your folio for 10 bottles of wine. This assumes you take two as corkage free.

Sounds about right. Try to get a copy of the wine package list from your ship a month or so before you sail. That way you can look up the ratings before you sail. I usually "run the numbers" against Wine Spectator, Wine Advocate, and a couple other wine publications for which I have subscriptions. You can accomplish the same thing, more or less, for free on the web.

Who do you call to get a copy of the wine package list of your ship?

This post shares the most up to date (mid June) listing of the wine and beverage lists.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com...everage-menus/

We enjoy both the Admirals package (especially 2-3 of the wines!) and truly relish many of the Pinnacle wine offerings. This RogerJett list for all of the wines is very accurate and up to date.

As a couple who especially enjoys red (full body)wines and very frequently buys them at wine stores and restaurants around the country, we find the Pinnacle wines for the price to be amongst the best and cannot be beat! We used to bring wines on board and don't any more. (We will, however, bring a bottle of champagne per person to enjoy ensuite!!)

If you mean ahead of time, the best you can hope for is that someone scans it and posts it. We've actually been on back to back sailings where the list changed on turnaround day.

If you are looking for the list when you sail, they often have it available in the boarding waiting area. Otherwise you can find it in the Lido, MDR, and a couple of other locations on the ship. On our last cruise, there was a copy in our room.

When you purchase a wine package, do you select your wines once you board the ship or can you select in advance?

You select your wines on board. You can select a bottle at a time as you are using it or, you can select all at once.

When you purchase a wine package, do you select your wines once you board the ship or can you select in advance?

You should wait until you board. Selections and availability can change. They'll generally let you select one bottle at a time until you fulfill your package limit. However, I'd be inclined to select all my bottles right away if I knew what I wanted. Sometimes a particular wine will prove to be popular and they may run out of somewhere you wanted. They'll make substitutions that are usually close (sometimes better) but if your heart is set on something particular, I'd get it all right away.

You select your wines on board. You can select a bottle at a time as you are using it or, you can select all at once.

Sorry. I duplicated your info. It was after the page break and I didn't see it.

Am I correct in thinking that the wines purchased in the wine package can be brought to the dining room? Or are they just for cabin consumption?

They can be brought and consumed anywhere you want ... MDR, Pinnacle Grill, any bar, your room, pool areas, sun deck ...

They can be brought and consumed anywhere you want ... MDR, Pinnacle Grill, any bar, your room, pool areas, sun deck ...

How does that work though, do you actually carry them from one place to another? Or for example; say you're sitting at the Lido bar one afternoon and would like to enjoy a bottle of wine from your package. do you just tell the bar tender that you'd like to enjoy one of the bottles from your package, and he/she arranges for it, or do you have to go fetch it yourself from somewhere and bring it to the bar? Same question for any of the other venues you mentioned.. :confused:

We have bought the packages and never got all the wine at the beginning; wherever we were we would just mention we had a package and ask for the list to select the next bottle from the package.

How does that work though, do you actually carry them from one place to another? Or for example; say you're sitting at the Lido bar one afternoon and would like to enjoy a bottle of wine from your package. do you just tell the bar tender that you'd like to enjoy one of the bottles from your package, and he/she arranges for it, or do you have to go fetch it yourself from somewhere and bring it to the bar? Same question for any of the other venues you mentioned.. :confused:

At the Lido Bar or Pool (or any bar really), you can ask any bar attendant and they will bring it to you. Alternatively, when purchasing the package, you can have a few of the bottles delivered to your room and then you are free to take them wherever you want. If you are a regular at the Crow's Nest Bar, for example, you could have a bottle or two delivered there. The possibilities are essentially endless once you purchase the package. .. the bottles are yours to do as you wish.

You just tell them. :).

taxmantoo has outlined it quite well.

And, it doesn't have to be a wine package. It works with any bottle of wine you buy from HAL ;)

We had a bottle in the Lido and when we dined at the Canaletto, we just told them we had one in the Lido Retreat Bar and they took care of it :)

Works like a charm.

No, you don't have to carry them - although you can if you want. Tip: If you have a wine package and expect to "need" wine somewhere other than the MDR, tell your wine steward. If you're going to be in the Pinnacle on Tuesday, just let your MDR wine steward know on Monday at dinner. "Send a bottle of Cabernet from our wine package to the Pinnacle. We're dining there tomorrow night." You don't have to do this, but it cuts down on your wait time. Same thing with your leftover wine(1) from dinner. If you are going to go to the Gallery Bar after dinner, just ask your steward to send it there at the end of the meal. You don't have to do this, but it speeds things up - both for you and the other patrons in the bar or restaurant.

(1) This advice is based on observation, not personal experience. Once a bottle is opened, we're committed to finishing it. :)