Credit or Debit Card

Feistybelle

Hi all,

I want to know which is better to use, credit or debit, when cruising. I ask because reading back through the forums there seems to be some debate on whether they double hold on your cards, etc. I'm a bit confused about this. Can anyone tell me the pro/con of each? I want to use our debit card preferably.

I doubt we will spend more than 400$ the entire trip aboard the ship. I just don't want them holding TWICE the money - or do they push the hold through? I'm very confused.

Thanks for your help.

Credit card.

With debit cards, a hold will freeze those funds. For most credit cards (unless you're close to your limit), a hold won't have as much impact. Plus, it's easier to dispute a credit card charge if there's any issues.

The issue with debit cards is they will put a hold on your account which may or may not be released when they put the final charges through. If you have enough in the bank to cover this then you would be fine but if not then your account can be overdrawn until the hold is released. When we left on NCL cruise I stopped for gas after leaving the port and our debit card had no cash available on it, which made driving home a bit dicey. Fortunately by the time we stopped for gas again the hold had been released and we had money again. (I have read of some debit card holds being in place for a week or longer, it's really up to the bank.)

It is up to the merchant to release the hold when the actual charge gets processed, not the bank.

Unlike most restaurants and hotels, Carnival does not.

It gets worse when they place an initial hold, and then an additional hold for your daily spending throughout the cruise. Then they process the final charges, leaving all of the pre-authorizations in place until they expire naturally in about a week.

It is up to the merchant to release the hold when the actual charge gets processed, not the bank.

Unlike most restaurants and hotels, Carnival does not.

It gets worse when they place an initial hold, and then an additional hold for your daily spending throughout the cruise. Then they process the final charges, leaving all of the pre-authorizations in place until they expire naturally in about a week.

Is this true for credit cards too, then?

I would use a credit card - just be sure your limit can accomodate the holds. I don't remember how long they took to drop off, it's been a while. As someone else said, if there are any issues, disputes are easier on a credit card. We use a carnival mastercard to get the double points, then use the points as a bill credit.

I always recommend a credit card wherever it is accepted both on land and at sea. Credit card companies back you up when something goes wrong. Since debit cards are tied directly to your bank account, any funds that are spent come directly from your bank, holds and otherwise. On a credit card, the hold is resolved faster and it is not tying up any of your actual money.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi all,

I want to know which is better to use, credit or debit, when cruising. I ask because reading back through the forums there seems to be some debate on whether they double hold on your cards, etc. I'm a bit confused about this. Can anyone tell me the pro/con of each? I want to use our debit card preferably.

I doubt we will spend more than 400$ the entire trip aboard the ship. I just don't want them holding TWICE the money - or do they push the hold through? I'm very confused.

Thanks for your help.

Assuming you pay off your credit card monthly, I do not see any reason to not use your cc. I never use a debit card for anything.....ever.

Furthermore, if you pay down in cash as you cruise, will they continue to up your holds?

I know we can feed in cash to the machine on board, or at least I have done that before.

Is this done on all ships?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm just curious if on the CC there is the "hold" issue as well?

The credit card I used for my last Carnival cruise had pending charges for about 10 days after the cruise ended. I knew they would be released eventually but, had it been a debit card, the funds in my bank account would not have been available until that time. Never use a debit card unless you won't need that money for a week or more.

With all that said, can you just hit the ATM and withdraw cash then fund your account? That's what I'm considering doing, just want to make sure that's a feasible solution as it will be my first cruise.

I'm trying to figure out how to avoid these crazy holds I read about.

I'll use a CC sure ... whatever, but the limit isn't huge and can't hold DOUBLE the holds/charges.

I would like to do a lot of cash during the cruise - that curbs spending as well but I wonder if they'll still up holds, I don't know I'll call. Theres too many differing opinions here.

With all that said, can you just hit the ATM and withdraw cash then fund your account? That's what I'm considering doing, just want to make sure that's a feasible solution as it will be my first cruise.

Do it early. Many times the ATMs aboard ship are depleted within a day or so.

I'm trying to figure out how to avoid these crazy holds I read about.

I'll use a CC sure ... whatever, but the limit isn't huge and can't hold DOUBLE the holds/charges.

I would like to do a lot of cash during the cruise - that curbs spending as well but I wonder if they'll still up holds, I don't know I'll call. Theres too many differing opinions here.

I'm also going to use gift cards to fund it as well. I understand you can do that with carnival which is the line I'm using for my first and second cruise. I have one credit card and that's all I want. I like to use cash as much as possible.

Do it early. Many times the ATMs aboard ship are depleted within a day or so.

Gotcha, I may hit one right before I board. They have atms at the ports as well I believe. Just not sure what the fees are.

I learned the hard way with debit cards in 2007 on my first cruise. We had normal charge and lots of holding charges. I ended up on a 3way call with me, the bank & the cruiseline. They were immediatly dropped once that occured. This was a week after getting back. This weekend I'm leaving with cash and 100 gift card on account. I also have tips prepaid. If I would have chose cheers that would have been prepaid also.

I learned the hard way with debit cards in 2007 on my first cruise. We had normal charge and lots of holding charges. I ended up on a 3way call with me, the bank & the cruiseline. They were immediatly dropped once that occured. This was a week after getting back. This weekend I'm leaving with cash and 100 gift card on account. I also have tips prepaid. If I would have chose cheers that would have been prepaid also.

I'm going to prepay as much as I can as well. I would think it would make things much easier.