Ship Time Zone

sailor05

We're departing out of New Orleans on the Dream so will we be on Central Time for embarkation, and for the remainder of the cruise? Does New Orleans do Daylight Savings Time. Some areas do not. We've always sailed out of Florida and never gave it any thought. Actually would be a bonus to us as we are used to Eastern Time.

Edited by sailor05

Thanks easyboy. I got it figured out. I'm doing an excursion in Belize who are on central time but they don't do daylight savings time. So next month when we're there they'll be 1 hour behind ships time. Which is is nice because it's a 9 am tour departure which I wasn't happy with but now it's really at 10 am ship's time and 11 am eastern time which is what we're used to. So I guess it's all good!:)

Edit--I guess I should mention that it's a private tour and not through the cruiseline

Just be aware Belize is a tender port. When we went there on the Dream 2 years ago without a ship's sponsored excursion or other priority outbound tender privileges there was up to a 2 hour wait for the ferry into port. That day the Dream was anchored at the 5th position which meant the transit was just about 40 minutes after filling the tender which in itself can take 30 minutes. They were running 2 tenders at a time, but sea conditions also made the transfer process over to the ferry a little dicey at times, so loading the passengers may of been a bit slower than normal.

So my advice is if your are not Diamond, Platinum, or have not purchased FttF, is for all of your party to be at the doors of whichever lounge or theater is designated for the ticket distribution about 30 minutes prior to the time published in the FunTimes. You should also make sure the tour operator knows you arriving by cruise ship just on the off chance that weather or sea conditions delay or prevent tendering into the dock.

It is rare for those who run excursions not to schedule using ships time. Every excursion I have been on was based on ships time, they do not depend on the passenger to figure out local time and make the adjustment.

I have never heard of a 2 hour wait for a tender. We also did a private excursion in Belize. They no what time the ship is , local time, when you are suppose to back at the ship. They do this almost everyday and you having a good time and getting you back to the ship.

Just be aware Belize is a tender port. When we went there on the Dream 2 years ago without a ship's sponsored excursion or other priority outbound tender privileges there was up to a 2 hour wait for the ferry into port. That day the Dream was anchored at the 5th position which meant the transit was just about 40 minutes after filling the tender which in itself can take 30 minutes. They were running 2 tenders at a time, but sea conditions also made the transfer process over to the ferry a little dicey at times, so loading the passengers may of been a bit slower than normal.

So my advice is if your are not Diamond, Platinum, or have not purchased FttF, is for all of your party to be at the doors of whichever lounge or theater is designated for the ticket distribution about 30 minutes prior to the time published in the FunTimes. You should also make sure the tour operator knows you arriving by cruise ship just on the off chance that weather or sea conditions delay or prevent tendering into the dock.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it all in mind.

It is rare for those who run excursions not to schedule using ships time. Every excursion I have been on was based on ships time, they do not depend on the passenger to figure out local time and make the adjustment.

They were very specific about the time being in their time in Belize. It's Central Time without daylight savings.

I have never heard of a 2 hour wait for a tender. We also did a private excursion in Belize. They no what time the ship is , local time, when you are suppose to back at the ship. They do this almost everyday and you having a good time and getting you back to the ship.

In February on The Dream we waited for over two hours to get on the tender back to the ship.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it all in mind.

They were very specific about the time being in their time in Belize. It's Central Time without daylight savings.

Then you may want to consider another operator. If they aren't tracking ship's time then you are running a risk.

It was close to two hours for non priority guests to get off the Conquest this month to tender into port. It would be longer for the larger Dream with more passengers.