Embarking in Rome

Bobkat26

So I was just wondering, we are embarking in Rome for our October Cruise on the Royal. Since I know a lot of people are boarding in Barcelona, will it be a different kind of embarkation. All of my cruises have been stateside, so I know everyone boards, eats lunch and they have spa tours, things like that. Since we are joining in Rome, will embarkation be different? We are not rushing to the ship like we normally do, we have an Airbnb in Rome that is picking us up at 11am and taking us to the port. I'm just curious what it will be like.

Any thoughts?

Kathy

So I was just wondering, we are embarking in Rome for our October Cruise on the Royal. Since I know a lot of people are boarding in Barcelona, will it be a different kind of embarkation. All of my cruises have been stateside, so I know everyone boards, eats lunch and they have spa tours, things like that. Since we are joining in Rome, will embarkation be different? We are not rushing to the ship like we normally do, we have an Airbnb in Rome that is picking us up at 11am and taking us to the port. I'm just curious what it will be like.

Any thoughts?

Kathy

Boarding works the same as any other embarkation port.

At least it has for us on several occasions.

Boarding starts around Noon.

It will be just like any other embarkation. Some people will join in Rome on Oct.11 (Rome to FLL) OR (Rome to Barcelona) and some will join in Barcelona Oct. 21 (Barcelona to FLL). There may be a few who joined in Barcelona on Sep. 30 doing a 36 day Barcelona-Rome-Barcelona-FLL itinerary, but Oct. 11 will look more like a full ship turnover than anything else.

Each segment of your cruise will start just like a regular cruise with the same procedures on each embarkation day.

Be aware that each new segment comes with repeating menus from the previous segment as well as repeating the major entertainment production shows.

If you will be in the same cabin for all your segments, your cruise card will be good for the entire journey. For European turnaround days between segments, you can treat those days like any other day in a port city.

Any thoughts?

Kathy

Personally we prefer Barcelona as it is much better organised and only 20 minutes taxi from airport to sea port.

When we went from Rome in the airport cases for Princess and Royal Carribean were standing next to each other waiting for transportation to the ships so chances of lost case's was worrying.

It is over 1 hour transfer to port at Civitevechia and we were not impressed with their check in.