Norris Glacier - Dog Sledding - Is There Any Snow?

Jeter02

Just wanted to check, as I have an excursion booked to do the helicopter to Norris Glacier for dog mushing / sledding end of July. A friend of mine who just sailed on the Ruby a week ago, claimed there is no snow, so they were doing the dog sledding on rollers. IS this true with Norris Glacier? Its an expensive excursion, to have no snow for the full effect of the experience. Thanks in advance for any input.

Was the sledding/ mushing on the glacier or at a different location? If not on a glacier then I would not count on much snow in July. Will probably be a sled on wheels as previously posted.

I am on July cruise and will be doing helicopter tour to glacier and dog sledding. I went to the website of helicopter company and they say no matter what to temp in Alaska the glacier temp will still be around 37 degrees; so you may or may not have snow but you will have ice; which will allow them to run the sleddogs.

YAY!!!! This makes me excite!!!! Thank you :)

Did this ten years ago first week of August. Snow on the glacier was not in short supply. Best excursion we did while in Alaska.

Your friends may have been on a difference excursion. We did one several years ago where you visited with some of the pups and went on a short "sledding" trip through the forest. If your excursion is on a glacier there will be ice and snow. Have fun.