Internet.. working on board

boufa

Hi!

Before you start about needing to go off the grid to enjoy a cruise, I have a job that allows me to cruise/travel at anytime, but requires me to be connected and work, at least an hour (hopefully not more than 2) a day. It is not ideal, but its better than not going on the cruise...:cool:

So the questions. Does the middle level internet (Value plan) have any real limitations do web surfing? Other than streaming video sites, can you surf to nearly anywhere on the web? I use a web based software system to keep up with clients and reply to messages, and fulfill orders, other than speed, is the Value Package likely enough?

Carnival Sunshine if it matters. Thanks!

I have always worked some everyday as well and done fine with the package.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Value package?

It seems to be cheaper to pay for it before traveling ($10.25 per day)

Get the Premium and expense it.

My boss questioned the expense the first time. I brought to his attention the revenue generated, discussion over.

Of course if your the boss, then you know it's a legitimate business expense

Do you need a VPN for work? If so be careful because I know some cruiselines and even ships will block certain VPNs. I have not tried it on Carnival yet but I had an issue on 2 princess cruises where the VPN was blocked, curiously never had an issue on our other cruises.

I'm in same boat. Just got off Sunshine and it was ridiculously slow. Same with the Pride prior. It is more frustrating trying to get work done than anything. Temper your expectations, replying to email on my phone no problem, anything on my laptop or accessing files just plain old bad.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

I purchased the Premium plan for the first time on my last cruise instead of the Value plan, and it was money well spent. The difference in speed time was noticeable, and personally, I think the potential for you to be more productive is worth the cost. It will leave you more time to enjoy your cruise. [emoji4]

I am the same as you. I have always purchased the mid plan. As others have mentioned here, it is dreadfully slow on the laptop. I have to use VPN, which I can connect to, but it is very laggy. You are talking several seconds from clicking the mouse until it registers on the screen.

I cannot personally vouch for the high end plan, but I will be getting it in August.

Good luck!

I did ok using our VPN on the mid plan. I basically just did email and downloaded a few attachments usually 1gb or less. It didn't do great with the company ERP system but fortunately I only needed in a couple times in 7 days. This was on the Dream in July 2016

DH purchased the midplan a few weeks ago on the Miracle. It didn't do everything he needed, so he upgraded to the highest plan. He was charged the difference, not the whole amount, when he upgraded.

Try the mid plan first and see if it'll work with your software. DH was only reviewing scanned documents and other documents, not streaming.